Macross Zero *almost* licensed

Panon

Very interesting piece of news to come out of an anime convention panel in Australia recently... credit to the posters over at Madman's official board for this info:

Macross Zero

Hold onto your hats for show-stopping news. No, it's not licensed, but...

Tim told an anecdote about ADV's attempt to license Macross Zero. Seems that ADV went to Big West (in Japan) to seek out the license and were told they'd need to negotiate with Harmony Gold. Approaching Harmony Gold, they got the OK with Harmony Gold agreeing to take a small percentage or some other deal.

Returning to Big West, after they told them that this had occurred, Big West was so surprised that they had managed to get agreements with Harmony Gold so easily that they backed off believing something fishy was up.

It is likely that Macross Zero will be licensed by ADV and hence by Madman in the not-too-distant future.

The last bit is probably still speculation at this point, but would be the logical thing.

While ADV would certainly not be my first choice of who I'd want to get it, I'm honestly surprised it's that close, given how much of a mess the Macross licensing situation has been for some time.

Looks like ADV and Harmony Gold are ready to play, but the ball is in Big West's court now.

Very much speculation, as why would BW suggest that ADV go to Harmony Gold, when HG or Tatsunoko had no part in Macross Zero?

Still, if it's true, that could be very good news concerning other Macross releases, but I'm not holding my breath.

Omg, worldwide-distribution of a Macross line because Harmony Gold was agreeable?!? :huh:

Of course. They'd be getting a cut of the profits, so why wouldn't they?

I'm skeptical, but I'll reserve judgement for now. If this info is coming from Madman Ent, then it may have some validity to it.