Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello, I am someone who has been making (and commissioning) Mospeada fan art.

I am wondering if there are references to uniform colors and unit insignia for the regiments in the show, or maybe planned but was not released.

The only reference we got were Mars Base, the collage down below. Wanted to know if there are uniforms for Jupiter Base or other bases as well?

Mospeada-Uniform.png

In addition, I am curious about uniform concept art since...I am starting to wonder if Mars Base soldier had take off their suit before donning their armor since the fabric part of the MOSPEADA suit--based on their waist area--always show the undershirt, even those who aren't wearing long sleeve shirt (Houqet/Rook and Yellow/Lancer).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is currently in storage but did you grab a copy of the Mospeada Complete Art Works? I don't recall anything in particular but maybe there's some Shinobu artwork in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jenius said:

Mine is currently in storage but did you grab a copy of the Mospeada Complete Art Works? I don't recall anything in particular but maybe there's some Shinobu artwork in there.

Sadly, no.

Mostly I found Line Art Works and Gears Online, but only for Mars Base (also no mention if the jumpsuit are taken off before donning Ride Armor).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jenius said:

Mine is currently in storage but did you grab a copy of the Mospeada Complete Art Works? I don't recall anything in particular but maybe there's some Shinobu artwork in there.

That book is all in Black and White

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

That book is all in Black and White

Well, maybe no color scheme then.

What about insignia, Jupiter Base and other military included?

Also what he meant by Shinobu art?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

That book is all in Black and White

Not exactly...  Most of the relevant line art isn't colored, of course, but the first 24 pages are in color (amounting to 15% of the book).

color.jpg.30b70b4920ad2c48cf89de7b6dfbcdd8.jpg

Buy the book, @roboemo!  It's full of the sort of reference material you're likely to find useful in your art projects.

uniforms.jpg.42bf349ad9c3a1fbbd3f3aca1bb1fe2f.jpg

24 minutes ago, roboemo said:

Also what he meant by Shinobu art?

In episode 23, Shinobu Takeuchi of the 36th Moon Base Squad arrives with the 2nd Liberation Force.

Shinobu.jpg.d5f057cc8898aab60f76a324cd74a2bf.jpg

Her equipment, however, sports the ubiquitous Mars Base logo.

1356487597_Shinobuscamera.jpg.55303a8a80c7bc8b2ff62f8d02ad5d06.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tekering said:

Not exactly...  Most of the relevant line art isn't colored, of course, but the first 24 pages are in color (amounting to 15% of the book).

I had forgotten about that. Maybe because the pages for the characters I've looked for reference in the book are in B&W. Thanks for correcting me, @tekering

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, roboemo said:

What about insignia, Jupiter Base and other military included?

There are only two base insignia seen in the official materials... Mars Base's triangle-M logo:
MARS BASE - GENESIS CLIMBER MOSPEADA (aka Robotech New Generation ...

and the much less commonly-seen Jupiter Base's heart-J logo that is only seen on the art for the VR-038 and AFC-01Z:

JUPITER BASE - GENESIS CLIMBER MOSPEADA (aka Robotech New ...

ridearmor-poster.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

There are only two base insignia seen in the official materials... Mars Base's triangle-M logo:
MARS BASE - GENESIS CLIMBER MOSPEADA (aka Robotech New Generation ...

and the much less commonly-seen Jupiter Base's heart-J logo that is only seen on the art for the VR-038 and AFC-01Z:

JUPITER BASE - GENESIS CLIMBER MOSPEADA (aka Robotech New ...

ridearmor-poster.jpg

And of course:

"All your base are belong to us."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also another conundrum.

I am wondering how the ride armor were worn, like if they had to wear long sleeve shirt, take off their jumpsuits, fabric coming with the armor, or just an artistic license.

Here is Houqet/Rook and Yellow/Lancer.

Houqet and Lancer Armor.png

Edited by roboemo
Writing addendum
Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought they changed outfits entirely into REF armor which has full sleeves and gauntlets and full pants that are worn under the boots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jenius said:

I always thought they changed outfits entirely into REF armor which has full sleeves and gauntlets and full pants that are worn under the boots.

The impression I always had was that they wore the Riding Suit over their normal clothes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jenius said:

I always thought they changed outfits entirely into REF armor which has full sleeves and gauntlets and full pants that are worn under the boots.

 

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The impression I always had was that they wore the Riding Suit over their normal clothes.

To be honest, this might be more practical in the armor standpoint. Even Stig/Scott and Shinobu/Sue do have suit under their armor not being same as what they were wearing.

Plus Mospeada could use some "sleeveless shirts" under the armor ala Gears of War 3 (even if the closest one to have biceps is Jim/Lunk).
COG Armor | Gears of War Wiki | Fandom

But part of me think it's to simplify drawing since they don't want to memorize details for each animation shot (Mospeada was a troubled production, hence much of its plot being cut short as well). But many official art--especially Robotech except Shadow Chronicles--tend to ignore normal clothes being worn under the armor and go for literal interpretation of the show's design.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, roboemo said:

To be honest, this might be more practical in the armor standpoint. Even Stig/Scott and Shinobu/Sue do have suit under their armor not being same as what they were wearing.

Well, it probably helps that everyone from space in Genesis Climber MOSPEADA seems to wear a leotard.

 

55 minutes ago, roboemo said:

(Mospeada was a troubled production, hence much of its plot being cut short as well).

Genesis Climber MOSPEADA suffered from some executive meddling, but not to the extent that I'd call it a "troubled production".  

I suspect you might be thinking of Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross... Tatsunoko Production's other attempt to make the Macross lightning strike twice, which did so poorly that the series was earmarked for cancellation after just 16 episodes and ended prematurely 23 episodes into a 39 episode run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, it probably helps that everyone from space in Genesis Climber MOSPEADA seems to wear a leotard.

Except the shirt area of the armor seems to be based on their under shirt (Like the abdomen area being red instead of grey or the gold circle thingy).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also just curious but is there any notes on the uniforms like if the jumpsuit has zippers, the red area of the uniforms are undershirts or part of the uniform, or details descriptions (if in Japanese, maybe translated by readers if possible)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...