Xigfrid's Shapeways shop: Arcadia 1/60 hard points

Shizuka the Cat

So, I ordered 4 sets of hard points from @Xigfrid's shop on Shapeways (https://www.shapeways.com/product/UFDBSPDWJ/6x-arcadia-hard-points?optionId=65025675), as well as a set of VE-1 booster antenna replacements (https://www.shapeways.com/product/MH8BTPUNP/macross-ve-1-booster-antennas-set-of-two?optionId=81022032).

These arrived in the mail today. Unfortunately, these items are all too small.

image.png.b11574ea264c4260f312bc9296e93d68.png

As shown in the picture above, the hard point's outer radius is a bit small, and the interior hole's radius is much too small, compared to a 1/60 VF-1's original hard points. I have had no luck in trying to fit Yamato 1/60 missiles to these Shapeways hard points.

Also, for the VE-1 booster antenna replacements, they are loose enough such that they will easily fall out of their slots.

I am not sure if this is a problem with the Shapeways 3D printing process or an issue with @Xigfrid's 3D design, but as it stands, I am rather disappointed. 

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

No offense meant, Shizuka-chan. I know it's frustrating to receive a wrong item or different from what you ordered. But before you posted this, did you tried to PM first Xigfrid about it? I'm pretty sure he can help you out.

My post was more meant to warn folks about the existing version of the hard points, until a corrected, updated version is available. 

I know full well that @Xigfridis cool and talented person, so I have little doubt that he will have better fitting hard points available in the future.

In fact the design looks good to me.

My design makes friction to the missile pylon with the smaller hole. What I can imagine is that you try to insert the missile the “larger” side, have you tried to insert the smaller side then rotate 90’ to lock the missiles into position?

Or perhaps try another set of missiles, I have inconsistency with the missile attachment dimensions, so I have put the tighter hard points online. I think the revision online is the third or forth iteration of try and miss. So I am pretty confident with the 3D model itself. 

33DCCF4F-DF4E-412D-90CB-6A18AC7A21EE.jpeg

B76D6B50-D5D5-4DC4-85DE-1F4437513DAE.jpeg

890D5F28-2E63-4F41-8016-6C81EDCB7F7F.jpeg

Hi @Xigfrid

So far, no luck... at least, not when it comes to trying to insert either the box missiles or the cluster of 3 missiles that come with all Yamato v2 VF-1 toys.

image.png.252c2f56fd07aac5c798a7bc520b7941.png

As shown in the image above, the hole in the Shapeways hard point is too small for the box missile peg to fit into. Trying to orient the missiles at different angles to insert them into the hard points has not worked for me.

Hey @Xigfrid

image.png.268839b55a7b0aaefad18d9f954e19fd.png

The hard point hole is a little too small to fit the Arcadia 1/60 YF-19 missiles, as shown in the picture above. Though, I think the peg-to-hole size discrepancy is not as severe as compared to the Yamato v2 1/60 VF-1 missiles, from what I can tell.

If the design looks good to you, do you think this is an issue with Shapeway's 3D printing process?

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

SLS is supposed to be accurate up to 0.1mm, so you should be able to push harder and the pin would enter, tighter than expected. The white plastic is very strong (printed flat) so you can apply a lot of force to insert the pin. Give it a try, and if it really doesn’t want to enter, that would be an issue with shapeways accuracy.

As @tekering said, you can still enlarge the hole, even if you are not supposed to.

Concerning the black 4 missiles block, I need to check them since I never use them, perhaps they have a larger center pin that I wasn’t aware off. 

If you have a set of wire gauge drills and a pin vise, you could progressively drill out the center hole until the missiles fit.

[edit] Someone apparently doesn't like solutions. Honestly, unless you get things printed in high-quality/high-resolution processes/materials you should expect some cleanup/modification will be required. That's just how 3D printing works.

Edited by Sanity is Optional