Animated Castlevania Series on Netflix

Mog

The previous Castlevania show fleshed out the (very simple) plot of Castlevania 3 rather imaginatively, but by and large it was faithful to the games; Trevor teams up with Alucard and Sypha (OK, so Grant's missing) to defeat Dracula.  Hector betraying Dracula and his subsequent rivalry with Isaac is also part of the plot for Castlevania: Curse of Darkness.

With Nocturne... what are they doing here?  It's like they want to tell a story about Richter, but this time they're avoiding the games.  There's no Shaft, no Dracula, in either the trailer nor the revealed cast.  Instead they're setting up Erzsebet Bathory as the "vampire messiah."  It's also clearly set during the French Revolution, which doesn't start until two years after Rondo.  Is it supposed to be between Rondo and Symphony?  Maria still looks pretty young.

I really liked the pervious Castlevania show so I'll give Nocturne the benefit of the doubt, but if it ignores the games completely I'll be upset.

As long as the story is solid and they give us interesting, multi-layered characters, I'm all for it.

Seriously, how they developed Isaac over the course of the series was unbelievable.  Even a minor character like Striga had some nice moments and a nicely planned story arc.

Gonna miss Trevor's world-weary a-hole sensibilities though.

And we gotta leave the original Tepeses alone.  Let 'em rest in peace after all the crap they went through.

I was like, “Hmm, I can see a ton of Belnades traits are showing up.”

. . . Then Rictor screams, “WHO’S F$&@IN’ NEXT?!”

There’s the animated Belmont traits we all know and love. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the first ep.  Looks promising enough.  

Definitely want to know all the backstory for all the various characters, including the one that died (And I ain’t talking about musket dude).

Welp,

Spoiler

looks like this is going for another season.

Looks like the characters need to level up.  Or better yet, learn how to utilize teamwork.  When Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard did that, they were unstoppable. . . Good thing they got one of those OG’s to teach them.

Give the writers massive props for fully knowing the story of Abraham and Isaac and not going with just a surface analogy.

Also, if I hadn’t read up on the Sekhmet Egyptian myths, I wouldn’t have understood why she turned into a lion’s face.

Should be interesting to see how Season 2 pans out.

Yeah... I thought it was mostly a letdown after the previous one.

See, I know that the Castlevania games have paper thin plots, but thin or not the lore is still there.  And what Ellis' Castlevania did extremely well was to take that plot and flesh it out, providing motivation for Dracula's attack beyond "vampire bad!" and linking the story with element of Symphony of the Night and Curse of Darkness.

Nocturne comes in with some interesting ideas that could have fleshed out Rondo of Blood, like exploring the backdrop of the French Revolution, how the de-Christianization of France during the Revolution caused the Church to side with the nobility, how the nobility were infiltrated with vampires, etc.  The problem, though, is Clive Bradley seemed to think that it's an interesting setting so he grabbed Richter, Maria, and Annette from Rondo but by and large abandoned the rest of the plot.  While we've got Maria and Annette, Tera and Iris have had no role.  There's no sign of Shaft.  They've replaced Dracula with a super vampire that looks like she should be on Thundercats. 

Spoiler

They brought back Alucard, who isn't supposed to meet Maria for another four years.

So, feel free to disagree, but in my opinion of you want to tell an original story, even one in the Castlevania universe, then use original characters.  If you want to tell Richter's story, though, then it should at least kind of follow Rondo of Blood.

They were always going to take a different spin from the video games.

Dracula and Lisa deserve a peaceful ending.  And we already had the “idiots trying to resurrect Dracula” plot from Season 4.  No need to rehash it here.

I actually don’t mind that they’re cribbing a little from Egyptian mythology and Vodoo mythology.

I know the show didn’t follow Hector and Isaac’s story exactly from the video game.  But the characters actually turned out better because of it.

They’ve set up some interesting characters this first season, so let’s see where the story takes us.

• 2 weeks later...