1/48 enemy pilot figure

mslz22

Kind of continued from the boss pod thread, I wanted to have a thread devoted only to the figures. I will have a 2nd enemy "grunt" in the works soon as well and will all kind of land here. So i commissioned a sculptor to make a 1/48 standing enemy pilot, here is what he sent me.....

0926pilot06.jpg

He had a very busy summer and this obviously was a bit rushed. However I do appreciate his work, this was a really great starting point for me to refine from. I never would have gotten the head that good on my own, and while it needed a few changes, it really was a quick thing to refine. Some of the changes were style stuff and a few of the proportions needed attention, some of that I'm sure is due to the limitations of the line art. First i noticed that the torso was a bit short, he kind of needed a mid riff, so i cut him in half and added about 5-6mm in the center. That allowed me to give him a bit more of an action hero V shape, I also trimmed the upper armor a bit to add to the V shape, also toned down some of the belt height. I then lengthened the arms a bit and gave him a little bit of biceps under the armor, added some shoulder armor, a little attention to the legs, added some more hair detailing, and some additional clean up and he is just about ready to go. Here is what I wound up with after my work to the piece.

007-7.jpg

010-8.jpg

Once I mold the head i will take the first casting and build a helmeted head around it, then i can offer both in 1 kit, with a magnet the head can be swappable.

thanks

mike

I did not want to do joints because this is intended to be more of a statue to display with either the pod kits or even 1/48 valks if you don't have a pod, I felt that the joints would make it look more like an "action figure". That being said if someone wanted to add joints, it would not be difficult, and when it comes to resin kits it's always easier (IMO) to remove material than add it. In this case removing some material with a file or dremmel to accommodate the joints.

I finished the molds for everything i have on this last night. I will pour up a head casting to build the 2nd helmeted head up tonight, that will take a few days as i need to do the inner helmet, outer helmet and a visor.

thanks

mike

Firstly, nice avatar Wasabi-san.

Now... I wonder if instead of lengthening the limbs could you have added joints instead? Fantastic job regardless! This stuff makes me want to buy a 3D printer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, these are ready to go, I only have a handful of days left for casting so PM me if you want one. Here is a pic of what has come out of the molds so far, starting to paint mine up. The visor will be in clear vac formed plastic......both heads will be included.

Sorry for the long time since updating, it's been a mad dash to get stuff done before the real cold gets here....

thanks

mike

002-13.jpg

Edited by mslz22

Yeah, planning too, just wanted to offer a quick round while i still had some decent weather here. I am hoping that i will be back up and casting in mid march, first up will be seeing if anyone wants pods/pilots. Also hoping that the 1/72nd monster will be done and molded by early april.

thanks

mike

Hey Mike, will you be offering these in the spring along with the boss pod?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...