The Darkest Hour

areaseven

No, this is not a new Transformers movie.

Coming this Christmas is yet another alien invasion film in 3D. The Darkest Hour chronicles the events of an electricity-based alien race that invades Earth and wipes out most of the population while draining the planet of its energy resources. Amidst the survivors are a group of American tourists stranded in the ruins of Moscow. The film is directed by Chris Gorak and stars Emile Hirsch (Speed Racer), Olivia Thirlby (Judge Anderson in Dredd), Rachael Taylor (Maggie in Transformers), Joel Kinnaman (Detective Holder in The Killing) and Max Minghella (Divya in The Social Network).

Official Site

Actually, it looks very refreshing to see a true alien, one that is dramatically different to any lifeform we know of. I am always disappointed when Hollywood trots out a new creature design... they all looks so 'safe', so anthropomorphic. Could be fun. I've enjoyed Timur's work to date, we'll see how this one goes.

The problem with an electricity alien is that electricity can't be alive, it is a form of energy and not matter.

Well, who are we to decide what qualifies as life ?

Anyway, I see a weakpoint in this trailer already :

- it already kind of shows how the humans find the key trick to fight back ( just like Bay's TF movies )

Edited by knoted

Well, who are we to decide what qualifies as life ?

We are the only game in town for deciding that, maybe Dolphins, but till we can talk to them...

> It's almost as bad as the invading us for our water trope.

Always a favorite, that one. But needing to feed on energy does have it beat.

Actually, I don't think the aliens are made of electricity, they just want it for its power and maybe release it themselves. And although I agree with you that there are better places than Earth for energy alone, if the aliens are after specifically electricity, I see no better place than earth.

First of all, as far as I know, we are the only lifeform out there that actually puts all our efforts into taking energy from all sorts of sources in order to produce electricity, which isn't naturally available for harvestation at such magnitudes in ready form (The sun releases most of its energy as heat and in the form of variable photons, which are generally polarized by the time they leave the sun, which means they lose a lot of energy as is).

Also, I think you guys are forgetting that we humans alone have TONS of electric potential with us, coming in the form of solute gradients used to send electric signals throughout our nervous system. Thats 7 billion electric conduits for harvesting right there.

lol, maybe I'm just trying to justify the movie cuz I think it looks cool :D

Actually, I don't think the aliens are made of electricity, they just want it for its power and maybe release it themselves. And although I agree with you that there are better places than Earth for energy alone, if the aliens are after specifically electricity, I see no better place than earth.

The problem is, making electricity is blasted easy! If you are anywhere near a star you can use the energy from that to make as much as you could possibly use (and if the aliens in question are not from Earth then they had to pass a star or two to get here...)

And yup - they might be regular old humoniods once their invisi-cloak is gone.

• 1 month later...