1/48 Lancer Resin Kit Pre-Order

THOR

Reply to this topic if you are interested.

$135 + shipping

If I see at least 20 interests, I'll start making molds.

No decals, no base.

Computer Generated Pics in SolidWorks...

post-1862-0-16803200-1310412874_thumb.jpgpost-1862-0-97653900-1310412914_thumb.jpgpost-1862-0-23279100-1310412929_thumb.jpgpost-1862-0-63514500-1310412946_thumb.jpgpost-1862-0-43949300-1310412983_thumb.jpg

3D Printed Parts Pics in 1/48...

Interested List:

Spitfire_BR...1

Heavy Melder...2

Cool8or...1

Kicker773...2or3

neptunesurvey...1

Edited by THOR

I loaded pics from the computer just now...the master measurements were taken from a 1/72 resin kit. I printed most of the parts out in 1/48. Other scales possible. I'll post some of the 1/48 part pics tonight or tomorrow.

:)

THOR

Edited by THOR

I'm interested but I want to see parts because grown parts tend to have the lines on them from the growing process making them a pain in the ass to clean up. (and usually in places where it becomes impossible to clean them up). Also is there going to be a cockpit or anything? Landing gear?

Heavy...

i can't stand the lines either.

i will clean the parts up as smooth as glass before i cast them.

no cockpit...i thought this was a (space) drone like the ghost is an (atmospheric) drone? am i wrong?

landing gear? never saw any line art. if someone has them, i'll put them in.

did a search...guess a cockpit is in order...

BACKGROUND

The Lancer II Spacefighter was one of the first creations of the UN Spacy utilising the new technology found onboard the SDF-1 Macross. Whilst the Variable Fighters and Destroids were being developed Lockhee put forward a proposal for a space borne fighter that was cheap to manufacture and easy to maintain. The UN Spacy approved the SF-3a Lancer II Space Fighter for use on board the new ARMD platforms being developed and manufactured at the Lagrange Space Dry Docks. 78 Lancer II Space Fighters would be carried onboard each ARMD, their long range high powered Laser Cannons and Medium range missiles making them excellent and agile fighters rivalling the agility of the VF-1 Valkyrie in Fighter Mode. However unlike the VF-1 and later Variable Fighters the SF-3A Lancer II is limited to space operations only. It is not designed to enter an atmosphere, and it would burn up on re-entry and be reduced to a fireball, the Lancer II's heat and radiation sheilds only being designed to defend against natural radiation and heat found in space.

After Space War II the Lancer II Space Fighter was still manufactured and fighters were assigned to the ARMD platforms and Factory Satellite, as well as the Apollo Moon base. As the Variable Fighter took precedence over other mecha the SF-3A Lancer II was gradually phased out, many of these fighters being scrapped or sold to Colony World space defence fleets. By the late 2020's the SF-3A Lancer Space Fighter could only be found in the remote and poorly supplied Colony world defence forces, or in the hands of private collectors and museums. http://unsd.macrossroleplay.org/lancerfighter.html

I'm on my way to Chicago to G-fest.

I'll work on a cockpit & landing gear.

I'll add a pilot, too.

-THOR

I'm in all the way and I think I may have to get two of them.:) BTW If you need a resin caster (someone who really knows what they're doing) lemme know I know a guy who is pretty good.

I got back from G-fest last night. G-fest is a convention in Chicago for Godzilla and all things Kaiju (giant monster) put on by G-fan magazine. I met the producer and sculptor from the Gamera movies in Japan. I also met with a contributing sculptor of Resin Chef-Team Ukeke. http://rc-ukeke.com/ I designed and my friend molded the saucer for them and it sold out at the last Wonderfest in Japan.

I got another tour of Badger airbrush and bought their awesome silent air compressor that can handle three brushes at once. Their stuff is really nice. After meeting the employees and ownership, I'm sticking with Badger. Nice people.

I'll take pictures tonight of the parts I've had printed. Main body, wing etc. I'll also post pics of before and after sanding. I'm going to try baking soda through badger's "etching" air brush. It's just like sandblasting only using baking soda so i don't chew too much off the parts. I hope that will help smooth down some of my rougher parts.

I've got to get a few molds done for other projects this week and then I can go at this full-steam.

update:

printed body and engine/thruster covers:

post-1862-0-13042100-1311167849_thumb.jpg

up close of the white-detail process (more expensive to print) no sanding yet

post-1862-0-07595900-1311167883_thumb.jpg

up close of the white-strong/flexible (less expensive to print) no sanding yet

post-1862-0-13115800-1311168004_thumb.jpg

i printed the radar sensor/wing in the white-detail and it is pretty thin. pic to come.

i might need to throw in a carbon fiber rod in the resin to keep it from sagging.

i'll try to clean up[ these parts and make them as smooth as possible before casting.

i've got some ideas for a cockpit. use a veritech seat and a destroid-type video screen...

i'm stumped on what to do for landing gear. any ideas?

Dunno, maybe something skid like, Viperish?

If you need detailed pictures of various types of landing gear, let me know. I took a bunch of hi-res photos of many of the planes on display at the new(er) Smithsonian a while back.

Edited by ultimateone

Dunno, maybe something skid like, Viperish?

If you need detailed pictures of various types of landing gear, let me know. I took a bunch of hi-res photos of many of the planes on display at the new(er) Smithsonian a while back.

would simple tripod setup be ok?

basically sticks with skids on the bottom...

would simple tripod setup be ok?

basically sticks with skids on the bottom...

Don't see why not, I have the 1/72 version and that's the type of landing gear I always pictured it having. Easy enough to add detail to as well. You'll probably want the opinion of someone on the purchase list though, seeing as how I'm not there (yet).

/Really interested now that this is getting the additional two details of gear and a cockpit. Just need to figure out if I can... :ph34r:

Edited by ultimateone

Don't see why not, I have the 1/72 version and that's the type of landing gear I always pictured it having. Easy enough to add detail to as well. You'll probably want the opinion of someone on the purchase list though, seeing as how I'm not there (yet).

/Really interested now that this is getting the additional two details of gear and a cockpit. Just need to figure out if I can... :ph34r:

I got the 1/72 Lancer kit too. I was thinking on how to add a cockpit in to this kit and I somehow bump into someone's website in Japan building a non scale Lancer with a cockpit. This i sthe same guy that made the VF-9 I bought :p

http://air.ap.teacup.com/applet/tac1991/1807_1/image

Definitely no wheels ! I agree with ultimateone, Viper's style skids/landing gear is the best option - but every time i look to a Lancer a little voice in my mind scream "skyhook, skyhook !!!" In this case spacehook, of course... :lol: Just put i tripod setup and that's fine. I got the 1/72 Lancer too and i'm buying the 1/48 just to make it with full and open cockpit, the ideia from ahiacris is great, looks like the Moscato's Gnerl cockipt, looks amazing ! And you don't need to make a vacuumform piece...

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely no wheels ! I agree with ultimateone, Viper's style skids/landing gear is the best option - but every time i look to a Lancer a little voice in my mind scream "skyhook, skyhook !!!" In this case spacehook, of course... :lol: Just put i tripod setup and that's fine. I got the 1/72 Lancer too and i'm buying the 1/48 just to make it with full and open cockpit, the ideia from ahiacris is great, looks like the Moscato's Gnerl cockipt, looks amazing ! And you don't need to make a vacuumform piece...

That's the thing with the Lancer. And a few of the other mechs. There's just not enough pics/info on them. You're going to have to fill in the blanks with the little details, like the landing gear.

Skids would probably work best for this mech. Hard to tell until you have it done in front of you! :)

Regardless, I'm excited to see how this turns out!

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Still waiting for my parts. Had a snafu with Paypal thinking a scam was going on.

Labor Day Weekend should give me some time to finish the cockpit.

-THOR

• 2 weeks later...

I got all of the pieces to make a cockpit-less & no landing gear 1/48 Lancer.

I just ordered the pieces to make a cockpit (main body-redo) and landing gear.

I'm prepping the pieces I have this week.

In 2 weeks I'll have the cockpit version pieces and start prepping them.

Pics comming soon...

• 3 weeks later...

i got everything minus the open cockpit body/version for molding!

i expect that very soon. meanwhile i'll start molding the other pieces.

it looks so kick-arse being bigger than the 1/72.

i'll post pics tonight with my half-done 1/48 vf-1 (if i'm not too tired after football practice)

this thing has so many non-cannon options, too.

why didn't they make an AWACS version or one loaded with missiles/bombs?

Edited by THOR

some pics of the pieces...hopefully the cockpit pieces will arrive shortly. new fuselage, canopy, landing struts...

enjoy!

post-1862-0-96170000-1317994388_thumb.jpg

Edited by THOR

• 4 weeks later...