Tamiya Fine Surface Primer

derex3592

I've got 3 kits ready to start and everywhere I look on the net is OUT OF STOCK of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer...Gray and White...Anybody got a line on where you can get this stuff or am I just gonna have to wait??? :(

I don't know about this product specifically, but I know Tamiya went through a lot of issues in the last year or two with having to re-label their products with the proper warning labels for use in the US and perhaps even had to have some of their products tested(along with Gunze Sangyo Mr. Hobby/Mr. Color line of products). I know a lot of model-building friends of mine had a hard time finding Tamiya's 2-part epoxy putty anywhere in the US and had to order it from sources in Japan (I did as well). But then in some cases, like with Mr. Color paints and thinners, online Japanese stores like HLJ and Rainbow Ten stopped even shipping them to the USA. This issue seems to apply to more dangerous products, like primers and lacquer paints.

I've heard a mixture of speculation on both of these brands and their products. I'm sure there's at least some truth to it. I live in Southern California and I've just started to see Tamiya putty and Mr. Color thinner show up in stores again. I use Mr. Surfacer 1000 mixed with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner and a few drops of Mr. Retarder Mild to prime my models. I've just seen the primer back in stores, but not the leveling thinner (but they did have regular Mr. Color Lacquer thinner).

Good luck!

I wouldn't doubt that government regulation is part or the major source of the problem...but I do know that shipping companies have changed their rules for shipping paints.

Whatever the reason, it sucks, not like I can fly to Japan and bring back paint in bulk on the airlines.

Has anyone tried automotive putty/fillers and primer?

I wouldn't doubt that government regulation is part or the major source of the problem...but I do know that shipping companies have changed their rules for shipping paints.

Whatever the reason, it sucks, not like I can fly to Japan and bring back paint in bulk on the airlines.

Has anyone tried automotive putty/fillers and primer?

I use the automotive stuff a lot; works fantastic for resin kits, though it may be overkill on a styrene kit. I also use Canadian Tire generic rattle can primer for all of my masters; it's inexpensive and coats rather well, though you're limited to mid grey and rust brown as colors.

If you're working on a styrene kit, you can try SIKKENS brand Kombi Filler putty; works well for fine stuff and deep scratches left by sanding. As for painting, I never use primer on a styrene kit; just a base coat of light grey paint, or spray the desired color directly if it's a cool hue. This not only adheres fabulously but it also doesn't dull the fine detail you have on some kits, like 1/72 panels and rivets.

I must admit, I had never used any primer before, but since I got back into modeling, I started out with trying it on my Fan Racer and my 1:48 FineMolds X-Wing, and I liked the result. Might try some automotive primer, I guess.....or maybe just go with nothing again...I am only working on plastic kits...no resin yet Capt.,...have ZERO idea about building resin kits....might try the 1:2500 Scout ship though as my first try... B))

I must admit, I had never used any primer before, but since I got back into modeling, I started out with trying it on my Fan Racer and my 1:48 FineMolds X-Wing, and I liked the result. Might try some automotive primer, I guess.....or maybe just go with nothing again...I am only working on plastic kits...no resin yet Capt.,...have ZERO idea about building resin kits....might try the 1:2500 Scout ship though as my first try... B))

So just for the record---took a chance on Pep Boys Primer for 2.99 a can...works GREAT! so much for paying high prices for Tamiya crap you can't get anyway! :p

I use the automotive stuff a lot; works fantastic for resin kits, though it may be overkill on a styrene kit. I also use Canadian Tire generic rattle can primer for all of my masters; it's inexpensive and coats rather well, though you're limited to mid grey and rust brown as colors.

If you're working on a styrene kit, you can try SIKKENS brand Kombi Filler putty; works well for fine stuff and deep scratches left by sanding. As for painting, I never use primer on a styrene kit; just a base coat of light grey paint, or spray the desired color directly if it's a cool hue. This not only adheres fabulously but it also doesn't dull the fine detail you have on some kits, like 1/72 panels and rivets.

Thanks for the heads up, Capt. Great pointers from the True North Strong and Free. Too bad I don't have a Canadian Tire or a Boston Pizza near by.

Thanks for the heads up, Capt. Great pointers from the True North Strong and Free. Too bad I don't have a Canadian Tire or a Boston Pizza near by.

You can try the nearest car-care center in your area; things like primers are more or less the same wherever you go, just labeled differently. Just make sure that you don't get a filler primer, as there are generally 2 types of the same color primer: regular (thin) and one with filler, which is much thicker and used as a very fine scratch-filler that will drown very fine detail.