1/100 Toynami Regult

ff95gj

I finally opened one of my sofu Regults the other day, and it is a perfect toy. Looks great on the shelf, has enough articulation to be fun, bits perfectly in your hand, and is indestructible to boot. Toynami got everything right on these.

I did a custom real-type repaint for my private collection.

I'm going to add some decals later.

Nice! I noticed you went for anime-style, and didn't do any panel line work.

I'm still really tempted to light the eye on one of these!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This year's San Diego Comic Con excusive is....

Regult vinyl figure movie version (DYRL).

Limited 1000 pcs, and price is $35

Oh, Excellent! Thanks for the news, Maiden! (And an bona-fide MACROSS item for the naysayers! ^_^ )

Is this an actual painted sample, or a Photoshop mockup?

Now I just have to find someone who can pick one up for me... :mellow:

Edited by AcroRay

It's cool they're offering this alternative though I'm not a fan of the DYRL color scheme personally. It's ironic the near universally reviled Toynami is delivering a relatively decent product and filling a niche the other Macross manufacturers aren't willing or able to.

True, this something I hope will continue.

Hopefully they will produce the male power armor too.

It's ironic the near universally reviled Toynami is delivering a relatively decent product and filling a niche the other Macross manufacturers aren't willing or able to.

I'd say 'near universally reviled' is a bit of a stretch. But, true, just about all of their product fills market areas that most other Macross manufacturers won't fill - particularly in regard to certain scales and price ranges.

At the size, price point and quality, their Super Posable line combined and their vinyl Regults are great products. I also haven't had any problems with the 1/100 Variables I have that bug me, especially at the price point. (If a shoulder on a 20 buck toy pops loose from a cracked poly-cap, I'm not gonna cry. If it cost me $250 after postage and the shoulder crumbled to pieces, then I'd probably feel pretty negative about the experience.)

Toynami's sofubi format line just rocks. I'm amazed we're getting anything like this considering the downturn in the economy. Buy 'em, and maybe we'll get our Glaugs and Eagers & other stuff.

Edited by AcroRay

Based on the votes from the board people here wanted some of the critters from Mospeada instead.

If Toynami's "near universally reviled", why should they bother to listen? :p

Edited by AcroRay

This year's San Diego Comic Con excusive is....

toynami1.jpg

Regult vinyl figure movie version (DYRL).

Limited 1000 pcs, and price is $35

i'll be picking a few of these up. any package deals if we buy the regular versions at the same time?

btw, anyone know how tall a 1/60 regult would be?

btw, anyone know how tall a 1/60 regult would be?

I think there was some debate on just what that would be. Someone might have come up with the answer on the thread about Yamato's 1/60 Regult announcement. The lack of consistency in the animation of the show makes it somewhat challenging. Yamato is supposedly including one of their armored Zentraedi soldiers with their 1/60 kit, and the wide range of physical sizes of Zentraedi soldiers seen in the show only adds to the confusion.

Toynami standard Regult 1/100 scale is 7 & a half inches tall to the top of the hull in its typical (pictured above) standing position, not including the cannons. The Heavy Artillery Regult is a full 9 & a half inches tall to the top of the missile launchers.

Until they released the 1/100 Regults all I ever heard of them was negativity.

Their Beta Fighters received excellent reviews, as did their Chogokin-style Voltron/GoLion set (deluxe and plastic editions) & their GoLion vinyls. Their Masterpiece Cyclone/Ride Armor is almost universally regarded as an amazing piece of mecha toy product. The Super-posable Valkyrie/Veritech line got solid reviews, and excellent reviews for their Mospeada Legioss/Alpha Super-posables. They also have had a wide range of other products not related to Macross or Mospeada that have done well, so they've proven themselves as an excellent specialty toy company, in spite of the relatively niche interest area this particular forums' members are concerned with. ;)

Oh, and the vinyl Regults seem to be selling very well and are regarded favorably... in Japan as well.

Edited by AcroRay

Their Beta Fighters received excellent reviews, as did their Chogokin-style Voltron/GoLion set (deluxe and plastic editions) & their GoLion vinyls. Their Masterpiece Cyclone/Ride Armor is almost universally regarded as an amazing piece of mecha toy product. The Super-posable Valkyrie/Veritech line got solid reviews, and excellent reviews for their Mospeada Legioss/Alpha Super-posables. They also have had a wide range of other products not related to Macross or Mospeada that have done well, so they've proven themselves as an excellent specialty toy company, in spite of the relatively niche interest area this particular forums' members are concerned with. ;)

Oh, and the vinyl Regults seem to be selling very well and are regarded favorably... in Japan as well.

That's kinda pushing it there. First of all I don't know where most of these reviews are and saying "in spite" of the niche interest area when their core product WAS Robotech and Macross in the first place. And let's face it, when push came to shove and when it was time to step up with the big boys to produce their "Masterpiece" line, Toynami failed miserably. The veritech line was outdated in both look and engineering and the Alphas fell apart in your hands. Their best product to come out of that line was designed and manufactured by an outside firm and it failed miserably after 2 releases. The Masterpiece Beta, again... was only made possible by another company and greatly overshadowed the toy it was supposed to support. And even then, at the same time, they had to recall the continuation of that line that they were doing on their own.

I like these vinyl regults, but it doesn't stand as a testament for them as toy makers. I think the sculptor is talented but he's backed by a company that doesn't care what happens to the product once its in your hands. I think vinyl is the only way for them to go EVEN if the economy was good enough for them to continue with more complex toys.

Excuse my bitterness but I was just reminded of how crappy these toys are because I was trying to take a part from my broken Masterpiece OF CRAP! Scott Bernard Alpha to send it to someone that needed it for repair. And it's so crappy that 5 pieces broke before I can get to the piece itself. And there's no easy way to get to any part either because everything is glued together instead of screws. What? Are they afraid that someone is going to steal their designs? Is anyone out there really insane enough to bootleg the Alpha? Maybe if they did, it would be more sturdy.

That's kinda pushing it there. First of all I don't know where most of these reviews are and saying "in spite" of the niche interest area when their core product WAS Robotech and Macross in the first place. And let's face it, when push came to shove and when it was time to step up with the big boys to produce their "Masterpiece" line, Toynami failed miserably. The veritech line was outdated in both look and engineering and the Alphas fell apart in your hands. Their best product to come out of that line was designed and manufactured by an outside firm and it failed miserably after 2 releases. The Masterpiece Beta, again... was only made possible by another company and greatly overshadowed the toy it was supposed to support. And even then, at the same time, they had to recall the continuation of that line that they were doing on their own.

I like these vinyl regults, but it doesn't stand as a testament for them as toy makers. I think the sculptor is talented but he's backed by a company that doesn't care what happens to the product once its in your hands. I think vinyl is the only way for them to go EVEN if the economy was good enough for them to continue with more complex toys.

Excuse my bitterness but I was just reminded of how crappy these toys are because I was trying to take a part from my broken Masterpiece OF CRAP! Scott Bernard Alpha to send it to someone that needed it for repair. And it's so crappy that 5 pieces broke before I can get to the piece itself. And there's no easy way to get to any part either because everything is glued together instead of screws. What? Are they afraid that someone is going to steal their designs? Is anyone out there really insane enough to bootleg the Alpha? Maybe if they did, it would be more sturdy.

There's the relatively ubiquitous feeling I was talking about.

It's not uncalled for. But like I said. The vinyl figures are great... what's the big deal? Those toys I was talking about are sold out. All toynami has to do is make sure they continue with the quality that they now have with the help of Beagle and Aoshima. The Maia Alpha was a step back, all I'm saying is move forward... with these vinyl figures and future toys.

It's not uncalled for. But like I said. The vinyl figures are great... what's the big deal? Those toys I was talking about are sold out. All toynami has to do is make sure they continue with the quality that they now have with the help of Beagle and Aoshima. The Maia Alpha was a step back, all I'm saying is move forward... with these vinyl figures and future toys.

No arguments there from me! (Although didn't Beagle disband? Or they let their Mospeada team go? So much of this sort of work is done by contractor firms.)

Next Battle Pod coming soon...!?!?!?

Nice! Be sure to not let the little missiles look too small. That may be a challenge, I think.

Edited by AcroRay

• 2 weeks later...

It will not be long before someone uses a dremel and some revy joints and the 1/100 will bend at the knees.

If the mold is milked for a light missile version and a scout pod.... I can see the regult increasing in popularity, especially if there is an officer pod in the future.

Oh. I am tempted.

I've heard rumors of the 1/60 Yamato...but I also heard it will cost an arm, a leg and your first born child. Almost worth it. Almost.

For the price, you can't really beat these.

Since the Valks I collect are 1/55, 1/60 and 1/48, I just wish the scale was bigger.

I have 4 of these now...1 heavy missile, and 3 normal, dirtied them up a little bit, and they look pretty darn good (real darn good for the price) next to all my 1:60 ver 2's. I think the Toynami idiots might be onto something with these...I am hoping for many other varients and the Glaug maybe down the line??? Also, us Mospeada guys could only PRAY for some Invid figs.... I'm cool with the scale, as true 1:60 would be damned hard to display because of the sheer height. Anybody know when and if they are gonna release the next missile variant???

Edited by derex3592

I have 4 of these now...1 heavy missile, and 3 normal, dirtied them up a little bit, and they look pretty darn good (real darn good for the price) next to all my 1:60 ver 2's. I think the Toynami idiots might be onto something with these...I am hoping for many other varients and the Glaug maybe down the line??? Also, us Mospeada guys could only PRAY for some Invid figs.... I'm cool with the scale, as true 1:60 would be damned hard to display because of the sheer height. Anybody know when and if they are gonna release the next missile variant???

I do believe a representative from Toynami posted on these forums asking what else we would like to see and the majority voted for some Mospeada Figures.

I do believe a representative from Toynami posted on these forums asking what else we would like to see and the majority voted for some Mospeada Figures.

Unfortunately, we're a very small majority of prospective buyers, though. I've seen it happen before: a bunch of very well-spoken, vocal and organized members in a concentrated forum community push a specific product, and the company asking their opinion later finds that's not representative of the larger collector community.

I wouldn't be surprised if future products tend to be Macross products since that's the more popular property (or portion of the Robotech property) across the wider anime-interest market.

Still, I'd love to see some Invid as well once the Zentraedi pod mecha are done. I'm just not expecting the Invid to be included in the lineup that soon.