Hello, my name is Stick Bernard.

Vostok 7

It hasn't been solicited yet but there is going to be a fifth Masterpiece Beta, the one from Shadow Chronicles. It will have the Synchro Cannon mounted on the top of the fighter mode. Tommy Yune showed a picture of a prototype at last year's New York Comic Con and Toynami mentioned it to CDX at this year's Toy Fair (this didn't make it into their article for some reason).

I see that Big Bad Toy Store has the green Beta up for pre-order with a ship date of first quarter 2009. Is it up for pre-order anywhere else?

I may be wrong but I believe what SAVE posted was a pic of an Aoshima booth at a toy show that showed a TOYNAMI MPC BETA, not an Aoshima Blue Tread. Aoshima was announcing they'd be doing repaints but had not yet begun producing them. Tommy Yune DID create the MPC Beta's unique heads although I don't believe he had anything to do with the MPC Alpha heads.

Yep, it was a MPC on display.

By '1/55 Veritech heads' I meant the 1/55 Bandai Legend of Valkyrie (?) head resculpts he did (from Macross Saga).

I thought Aoshima's Legioss set were worse quality than Toynami's run, and I don't believe Aoshima has relased a Tlead. And why would Tommy Yune do any head sculpting for them?

What the h3ll are you talking about, Danth? Get some more coffee in ya, man.

I've heard that Aoshima is why the Tread turned out so well -- they were responsible for much of it from the beginning. Apparently they didn't have as much control over the Legioss, and they blame Toynami for the Aoshima Legioss sucking.

And obviously Yune designed the US Beagle head, though I don't know if he technically "sculpted" it. And that sucks, because I prefer the original head, and I would buy an HG packaged Beagle if the toy itself was untainted. So if Aoshima did a gift set, and Toynami imported it, I hope Tommy Yune doesn't mess with it.

Edited by danth

I'm pretty sure that Tommy just draws, not sculpts, and I don't believe he had anything to do with those Origin of Valkyrie heads. The new Beta heads are his creation, though.

ok, I didn't mean to imply he physically sculpted them so much as re-designed them. The CollectionDX video from SDCC08 with Toynami it says in 10 minutes he drew up new heads for the Betas "and then we sculpted them"... For the 1/55 Veritechs it says "we've already sculpted the new heads" so I assume Tommy has had some input. Ambiguity and embelishment etc... :unsure:

Interestingly they also say that Megahouse do have the Bartley planned, but doesn't actually say to what extent.

I'd understand why they would want to make a different-style head to match the way Scott looked in Shadow Chronicles. I think it looks fine, but I don't collect ride armor toys.

I don't see why they would have to have anyone else design Valkyrie heads, the line art for those has been around for 25 years. The heads they showed off looked excellent.

And I think the Beta heads are an awesome idea. There's one additional thing that I was told they were going to do with that concept and I'm crossing my fingers to see if it happens. We'll see what happens with Volume 5.

As to the Beagle folks, your rampant speculation is fun but you're building yourselves up for a let down. From what I hear Beagle is very pleased with what they'll be showing but it's not going to be part of a new line.

So it is Houquet's Bartley, then. ^_^

Vostok 7

So it is Houquet's Bartley, then. ^_^

Vostok 7

Or Yellow/Lancer. Remember that some sites listed that as the next release, even before Ray/Rand, and that is a significant amount of re-engineering too...

But yeah, the profile pic is definitely Houquet.

Or Yellow/Lancer. Remember that some sites listed that as the next release, even before Ray/Rand, and that is a significant amount of re-engineering too...

But yeah, the profile pic is definitely Houquet.

I'd be happier with the Blowsperior, myself, but either would be cool.

Vostok 7

Houquet resin kit. I've never seen it before, but maybe someone else on here has.

Not really sure what to think of it, other than I doubt it's worth the money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...T&viewitem=

I think that's pretty nice! It may not be completely accurate or in-character, but its obviously a real work of love on the part of the creator. And I think the price isn't too shabby as far as garage kits go.

I'd be happier with the Blowsperior, myself, but either would be cool.

Vostok 7

As long as we get all of them sooner or later.

Sooner because I want them... later so that I can afford them.

I think that's pretty nice! It may not be completely accurate or in-character, but its obviously a real work of love on the part of the creator. And I think the price isn't too shabby as far as garage kits go.

Price is probably ok for a garage kit, maybe even a good price., it's just more than I'm willing to spend on a model, when there are transformable alternatives available.

So, I just got my first CMs today. I bought a three-pack containing the black and white Stick, black and white Ray, and Dark Bartley/Shinobou.

Have to say that I am VERY disappointed. I'm probably spoiled by my Beagle/Toynami Stick/Scott, but these just feel so incredibly flimsy and everything lines up so poorly. Really disappointing.

We'll see how my Megahouse all-black Yellow is when it arrives soon, then I can compare the three companies.

Jenius, love your site, read it regularly, but have to say your reviews of the CMs didn't make them out to be nearly as fidgety as mine are, or at least the Shinobou that I've opened so far. Temped to sell them, and I'm like you, part of me wants to own one of every MOSPEADA/RT:NG toy out there.

Edited by RavenHawk

A little clarification:

Aoshima's Legioss toys were better DESIGNED toys. They were worse in terms of CONSTRUCTION. So if you wanted to see a plastic Alpha actually built well you'd want it to be the AOSHIMA design, not the Toynami MPC. The Aoshima had ratcheting joints and other little bits (including sturdier hands) that would have made it superior had it not been thrown together from warped parts by people who didn't care. It should also be noted though that Aoshima does have the Toynami as its underlying base so there are plenty of legacy issues (I'm sure Aoshima arms pop off randomly just like toynami ones).

I dunno, Jenius. I think I have to nitpick with you there.

I don't feel Aoshima's Legioss was really different enough from Toynami's base design to consider it a different design. As I see it, Aoshima's differences simply amount to the revision of a handful of sub-components (upper legs/hip assembly), the little extra missiles and a material grade change on the hands (which might actually have been initiated by their sub-contractor, rather than a deliberate choice on Aoshima's part). What do you have when you separate Toynami's engineering from Aoshima's? A tiny handful of Aoshima parts, a tooling lease agreement and a manufacturng order. Nothing I'd consider all that different from a design standpoint. Aoshima's work amounts to some very minor revisions.

Both companies got boned by their factory (I'm assuming the knuckle-draggers who made the Aoshima Legioss set were the same dump that made the recent Toynami Shadow Chronicles Alpha disaster.), so I'm going to spare each company the results of their actual manufacturing as a measure of design. I doubt either company willfully chose utter incompetance as the deciding factor in their choice of a manufacturing vendor.

Admitedly, I don't have one of Aoshima's to do a direct comparison to my Toynami examples, but that's the conclusions I come to based on your website reviews and comparisons.

But that's my 2-yen: Aoshima's Legioss design is Toynami's, with a couple of small - and unfortunately temporary - revisions. One might hope that Toynami somehow include Aoshima's upper-leg/hip revisions in some future run of the product, but the design is still Toynami's.

(BTW - Thanks very much for the I-men review!!!)

It's a fair criticism that the Aoshima isn't MUCH of a design overhaul, but certain parts were over-hauled and when you handle them you get even more of the "Damn it, why couldn't this toy be built better!" feeling than you do from the Toynami. So, beyond that, we're basically discussing semantics. The Aoshima improvements were great ideas and if these toys do make it into a full plastic rendition I hope they keep those improvements (although, from what I have seen with the Maia MPC, I have no real expectation of that).

No problem on the Imen review, it's been one I've been wanting to get up for a long time... and it's probably not the last time you'll see those little figs.

I'm doubtful of an all-plastic Legioss from Toynami as well, or any significant revisions of their current tooling. Sadly, I don't think the economics are much in favor of that at the moment.

Those I-men look like fun! I picked up a Ben Dixon set cheap at a Gamestop some time ago, and was really very pleased with the little things. All playworthy and no fragile 'collectible' quality to them.

Ben's been smirking sideways on our refrigerator for a couple of years now...

And I think the Beta heads are an awesome idea. There's one additional thing that I was told they were going to do with that concept and I'm crossing my fingers to see if it happens. We'll see what happens with Volume 5.

I take it you can't say or you probably would have... but I have to ask... Can you say what this "additional thing" is? If not can we ask for a hint?

Also... has anyone spotted this new yet?

http://www.collectiondx.com/article/nytf09...bandai_tamashii

All of the Beta fighters are on display and George said that the factory that did the Beta Fighters now have all the molds for the Alpha, and will tooling them from here on in. There is a possibility that we will see all plastic giftsets that include an alpha and beta in matching colors.

I REALLY want to get these Betas but I never picked up the Alphas due to all the horror stories so maybe the way to go is to hold out and see how these "giftsets" pan out. If someone were now trying to get a set of Alphas to go with the Betas does anyone have any tips on how to get ones that aren't too bad.

Carl

The only Alpha that's hard to get is the blue one. You can still get the green through black variants for $60ish. I imagine that if Toynami is going to release a plastic giftset that won't be until long after all these MPCs are on the market so they don't hurt their own sales... that's a long wait. If I had to guess as to what Roger's hinting at it'd be the Synchro Cannon variant prototype the HG staff showed (somebody referenced a picture earlier in this thread). I'm guessing that'd be sold as a Marcus/Maia Shadow Chronicles volume.

The only Alpha that's hard to get is the blue one.

I'm not so worried about finding them... I'm pretty sure I could find a blue one too if I tried hard enough. What I was more worried about is how to find "good" ones. From what I've read the QC seems to vary significantly though it sounds like they all have some inherent problems. If I go after them I'd like to somehow find a set with minimal issues/problems... if that is even possible.

that's a long wait.

I've been waiting 25+ years... that won't slow me down.

If I had to guess as to what Roger's hinting at it'd be the Synchro Cannon variant prototype the HG staff showed (somebody referenced a picture earlier in this thread). I'm guessing that'd be sold as a Marcus/Maia Shadow Chronicles volume.

Isn't that what he more then hints at here?

It hasn't been solicited yet but there is going to be a fifth Masterpiece Beta, the one from Shadow Chronicles. It will have the Synchro Cannon mounted on the top of the fighter mode.

So I took his hint to imply there might be a 6th Masterpiece Beta.

Carl

I had initially resisted the impulse to pick up one of these MPC Betas. Actually, in the beginning, it wasn't too much of a strain. The Alphas really turned me off of Toynami fare. But then the CollectionDX HD video review kicked off a slow but steady assault on my resolve that built with each visit to these and other forums praising the toy. So I broke down and purchased one...

The Beta finally arrived yesterday, and not only did it become immediately apparent that most of the praise was well-deserved, it became absolutely clear to me why the toy's quality was head and shoulders (and torso, legs and feet) above that of past Toynami offerings...

Right there, on the little card included in the packaging, buried several lines beneath the freakin' "Artwork" and "Packaging Design" credits (really?!) were the all-important "Product Design" and "Engineering" credits.

Ahem, AOSHIMA.

I know this is probably common fact for those who've had more intimate knowledge of the MPC Beta, but this fact seems to be pretty much glossed over. All the reviews, video or otherwise, lavish heaping praise on Toynami.

At the end of the day, I am GLAD Toynami executive-produced and brought to the mass market such a fine Aoshima product that, perhaps, might never have otherwise seen the light of day. I just find it interesting that the credit for such fine engineering seems generally misplaced. Anyway, I am no longer scratching my head trying to figure out how Toynami was able to get the Beta so right. :)

By the way, I just learned the included stand does not support the Beta by itself....What are folks using to display this giant, back-heavy diecast brick? The FlexiDisplay stands look like they might be too loose to bear the weight....

Thanks! :)

Edited by emerson

If you keep the arms of the flexi display toward the center and your screws tightened I'm sure you could get it to work.

Carl, my bad, I was reading too quickly. Something different with the head of a potential sixth volume of the MPC Beta... guess i'll wait and see. As to getting a truly GOOD MPC Alpha... I took the approach of just buying lots of them, transforming them all once, returning the ones I didn't like, then handling the ones I kept very gingerly. I know that's nobody's preferred method.

Hey jenius,

During your brief survey a few months back, did you ever find a Blue Alpha numbered higher than No. 10,000?

For all we know, Toynami may still be holding out some leftover stock (Numbers 10,000 through 15,000) of Blue Alphas.

Of course, it would be anyone's guess how well these Blue Alphas, their crumbly hands, and their plethora of other issues have held up over the past four years.

Also... has anyone spotted this new yet?

http://www.collectiondx.com/article/nytf09...bandai_tamashii

Regarding those pics in the link, someone should tell Toynami (or whoever posed their Betas) to read the frakken instruction manual!! You're supposed to collapse down the grey leg parts (around the knees) in battloid mode. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mog

Having the legs extended isn't all that bad, it keeps the toys from looking to squat. Roger pretty much confirmed that Toynami has excess capacity left on all of their MPC Alphas but that they also have no intention (at the moment) of using that extra capacity.

Thanks for the info. :) I kinda had a sneaking suspicion.

I actually like the Beta looking squat. Afterall, it's supposed to be this big, burly, armed-to-the-tooth brawler of a mecha.

Long, stretched-out, or slender legs (ala a Valk) just don't seem to mesh well with that image of the Beta.

Even without the legs extended out, the Beta's already a big boy. With the legs collapsed, he's still head and shoulders above his shorter Alpha brethren, and he can still stand toe-to-toe with the 1/55 Valks out there.

I have a question for anyone with the Beagle Cyclone. I got the Toynami "inspired" version in last night and its nice. There's alot there to like. The first problem I seem to be having is trying to stand up the figure by itself. I understand that with Cyclone on him, he's too top heavy and that's why the stand is there, but I can't even seem to get him to stand up by himself. I've tried adjusting his toes, his ankles and his legs and he just won't freaking stand!

Any ideas? Am I missing something? I agree his feet/boots seem smaller than what they should be but it almost seems that the front part of his boots sit lower than his heel. Anybody else run into this problem or have a fix for it?

Btw, emerson, I've had my Beta on a Flexi tri-pod since I got it a few weeks back. Its beautiful. It sits atop one of my glass Ikea cases and it looks like its flying over me. Its secure and I've not had any problems whatsoever. I've been using those little stands for anything and everything. They're great. Keep the screws nice and snug and you'll never have a problem.

I have a question for anyone with the Beagle Cyclone. I got the Toynami "inspired" version in last night and its nice. There's alot there to like. The first problem I seem to be having is trying to stand up the figure by itself. I understand that with Cyclone on him, he's too top heavy and that's why the stand is there, but I can't even seem to get him to stand up by himself. I've tried adjusting his toes, his ankles and his legs and he just won't freaking stand!

Any ideas? Am I missing something? I agree his feet/boots seem smaller than what they should be but it almost seems that the front part of his boots sit lower than his heel. Anybody else run into this problem or have a fix for it?

Btw, emerson, I've had my Beta on a Flexi tri-pod since I got it a few weeks back. Its beautiful. It sits atop one of my glass Ikea cases and it looks like its flying over me. Its secure and I've not had any problems whatsoever. I've been using those little stands for anything and everything. They're great. Keep the screws nice and snug and you'll never have a problem.

Bee n having the same problem. Had mine for about a week now and haven't gotten him to stand on his own yet. I keep being afraid of messing with the ankle too much, since I don't want to break it.

I just received my Beagle MOSPEADA myself. When I put the helmeted head on the neck of the Stick figure, it's incredibly loose. His head just hangs there.

Is this navel-gazing normal? Or am I just doing something completely wrong?

try tightening the screw at the side of the neck... Mine doesnt do that.

Thanks, >EXO<. I'll give the screw a look later, but I think the problem is more with the ball-and-socket connection between the head and the neck. Neck stands upright...head hangs down on the neck.

I'm typing this while on a conference call away from the Mospeada, so hard to say for sure haha....

The ball connection between the head and the neck is in the neck. The connection inside the head only allows it to sway sideways. There's another screw on the other side of the neck towards the bottom that would control another point that would cause the head to nod down but that would still affect the other head also...

Let me know what you find when you check it out later. I'd like to know what's going on.

All Beagles with the Beagle head (that I know of) have a problem with floppiness. This was addressed a while back by advising the use of a piece of Scotch tape on the bottom of the head ball. The Toynami versions don't seem to suffer from this problem.

No problems with the neck on my Beagle either, but then again, it is the Toynami Beagle. Seems like the Tommy Yune sculpt head, like it or hate it, doesn't flop like the regular Beagle one does (though I prefer the look of the regular one).

On a different note, I mentioned a page or so back that I purchased the three black and white CMs MOSPEADAs (Stick, Ray, and Shinobou) and had opened the Shinobou and am EXTREMELY disappointed by it.

Well, I'm trying to spread out my enjoyment of new toys for a few days here, so today I opened the Stick. It is MUCH better. Everything seems to line up and snap into place much much better than on the Shinobou. Maybe it's two random examples, or maybe the Shinobou/Houquet mold was rushed and just doesn't work as well.

Still, compared to my Beagle, these things are terrible. The Beagle is just amazing by comparison.

I'll open my CMs Ray in a day or two, and my Megahouse all-black (stealth) Yellow should be here sometime next week.

It looks like another Ride armor, maybe hoquet? (i would go for that).

Someone on another forum found source art for the image for the post on Yacolog.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3548/332553...faa52c4.jpg?v=0

Looks pretty close to a Houqet bike to me! :lol:

Do a quick look for yourself.

http://wildcats.pupui.jp/mt/archives/2009/...ecret_item.html

Edited by woll622