Laser Printer For Decals??????

Skull-1

I am about to, in desperation, sink four hundred bucks into buying a color laser printer so I can print permanent/non-fade decals.

Anything I need to fear or watch out for in this regard?

I have no experience on decal printing.

But I have access to color laser printer. I have been thinking of trying to print off some decal to see if it will works well. But I am yet to find a good source to buy one or two peices of clear decal paper for laser printer.

I have recieve warning from Anasazi about laser printing being non-opaque. Especially if the paint color on the model is a brighter color then the decal color.

I am about to, in desperation, sink four hundred bucks into buying a color laser printer so I can print permanent/non-fade decals.

Anything I need to fear or watch out for in this regard?

Yes, laser printers will produce non-opaque decals - Alps printers get around this by printing a layer of white, then the color on top of the white. Also, laser printers will not be able to print white decals.

Yes, laser printers will produce non-opaque decals - Alps printers get around this by printing a layer of white, then the color on top of the white. Also, laser printers will not be able to print white decals.

So if you paint white over the area you intend to place the decal or a white blank decal beneath it will you get around this problem? How opaque are they? Can you run multiple passes maybe?

Who sells ALPS printers? Are they still out there?

Edited by Skull-1

I got some Laser printer decal paper a while ago,I have been meaning to try it out on works nice laser printer, but so far I just havent got round to producing anything to print on it.

Laser and inkjet come out about the same opaqueness(is that a word). I have experienced when printing on white, the heat yellowed the paper slightly (could have been scanned ghost smears too). You definitely have to clear coat it with a decal coating like Solvaset decal coat or the like. They are extra brittle from the heat. Advantages, better solid and vivid colors. Better small details.

You're hard core if you buy one. Then again I'm one to speak :D . - MT

Laser and inkjet come out about the same opaqueness(is that a word). I have experienced when printing on white, the heat yellowed the paper slightly (could have been scanned ghost smears too). You definitely have to clear coat it with a decal coating like Solvaset decal coat or the like. They are extra brittle from the heat. Advantages, better solid and vivid colors. Better small details.

You're hard core if you buy one. Then again I'm one to speak :D . - MT

Are you referring to an ALPS printer?

Who makes them? I obviously haven't seen one at Office Depot or CompUSA so where do I get one (an ALPS)?

I'm ready to just buy a color laser and hope for the best. I love the detail that the inkjet puts out, but colors like yellow and such don't show up well on anything but a pure white paintjob.

If I am going to buy a Laser and it costs the same as an ALPS I may as well go with the latter, obviously.

But I get the impression they are no longer made...

Are you referring to an ALPS printer?

Who makes them? I obviously haven't seen one at Office Depot or CompUSA so where do I get one (an ALPS)? Alps printers are no longer made. You have to get one on Ebay, but even then you are hit and miss to get one that is going to work good.

I'm ready to just buy a color laser and hope for the best. I love the detail that the inkjet puts out, but colors like yellow and such don't show up well on anything but a pure white paintjob.

As posted above, and injet or laser will work great on white, but over any other color you are screwed. The results won't even be close to what you are looking for. You have to have the white layer underneath for it to work.

If I am going to buy a Laser and it costs the same as an ALPS I may as well go with the latter, obviously.

But I get the impression they are no longer made...

Yes no longer made. They did have the program that you could exchange them for repair, but that is gone now too. Any service or support for the Alps is now gone.

Edited by Night Stalker

I would have thought that laser printed decals wouldn't be very flexible due to the nature of laser printing. All high res laser pics I've printed from our work mega bucks HP all appear like a wax film on the paper. With having to apply a fixer over the decals I think they will end up quite thick compared to the inkjet or ALPS method.

• 2 weeks later...

You know if the decals from a laser printer are too transparent you could always print them on white decal paper. They sell transparent and white decal paper. Also you could print the decals on the transparent sheet then when you go to cut out the decal, stack it on top of a sheet of white decal paper. You wind up with two layers of decals but it's similar to what Hasegawa does with some of the kite symbols in their Valk kits.

Edited by Grayson72

I've used the laser decal paper (transparent and white) from Beldecal. http://www.beldecal.com/laser_paper.html

I also bought their inkjet decal paper (transparent and white) but have not tried it. I used the decal paper on a Xerox Color Phaser printer (it uses wax). The decal paper works really well. The decal is pretty thin but not as soft/flexible as the decal say from Hasegawa. So you will have to add more water and be very careful when you position the decal. You can use decal softener and decal set on it. The problem with using laser printer and inkjet is, like others mentioned, that they don't print white. Unless the places where you apply the decal are in very light or white color, the color of the decal is not going to show up well. If the pattern of the decal is of a regular shape or is big, you can print the decal on white decal paper then trim the decal to the shape of the pattern. You are out of luck for irregular shape (which most of the time they are) though.

If you are serious about making your own decal, you should look into getting an ALPS printer and stock up on the supplies while you still can (and also hope your ALPS printer does not break).

[Edit]

Another option is look for someone to make custom decal. You can try Samuel Decal. http://www.samueldecal.com/

I have NOT used their decals, but have heard a lot of good comments in a couple of other modeling forums.

Good luck.

Edited by 94medition

Are you for real?????????????????

Will it fade?

Can I get it for HP?

Epson also has a non fading (archival) ink for their ink-jet printers. It's called DURABRITE. It's the oly kind we use for printing photos. Our printer is not being made anymore (got it in 2004) it's the Epson CX5400 (all-in-one) and a full set of cartridges runs $88.00 (Can).