The Mw Automotive Thread Ii

woah my bad (edited)... my dad owns two planes, i forgot what they ran him something like 100k+ each, but he owns his own hangar and avionics company so that really isn't much in the long run. One of them is a twin engine: two Flat 6 Twin Turbo motors with an unreal displacement, and he just bought the other i don't remember the specs on it. Nice planes, the first one is very smooth in the air and fits six people, i'm just waiting for him to get some free time to take my family on vacation :lol:

I used to fly a twin engine in school. A Cessna T303 crusader. It had twin horizontally opposed turbocharged engines pumping out 300HP each. That was a 6 seat rocketship, especially when it was only myself and a copilot in it. Nothing compared to the thrust of a jet, but for a corporate type plane, it was pretty nice.

This one booked for over $55K with the avionics package it has, and that fact that the engine only has 100hrs, and the airframe 1400 hours total time. No accident history either, which is always a plus with planes. Once they're bent, they never really fly the same again..... I ended up buying it from an estate for $36.5K, and flew her form San Diego to Vermont without a hiccup.

I'll have to get some pics of the bikes when I get them out of winter storage. They're oldies but goodies. They Gixxer, DT and Seca have all been stripped to the frame and gone completely through. The Nighthawk is my next project bike. I'm in the middle of a move, but once I'm in my new place, I'll be stripping her down and giving her the royal treatment. I actually have more fun restoring the bikes than riding them :blink:.

So 55K for the plane pictured? What about storage and maintenance costs? How do those work?

385351[/snapback]

$55K is the book value on it as is. The avionics are what really added to this plane's value. I lucked out in knowing the right people to get it for $36.5K.

Right now she's on the ramp at the local state airport for $35/month. A buddy of mine is picking up his plane in the next month or so. I have a long flat field (2000 feet) in front of my house, and we'll be putting in a grass strip there over the summer hopefully, which has already been approved by the zoning board. Then, we'll put up our own hangar. In the winter we'll keep them at the state airport, and a hangar runs $200/month.

For miantenance, I've got my airframe and powerplant mechanic license, so can do most of the work on it myself. Also, I have a friend whose an inspector, and can evaluate and signoff on any major work, as well as all the routine inspections that go along with aircraft ownership. I've also got another buddy on the airfield who has his own maintenance hangar, and let's me put her in there whenever I need to tinker on it. If you can't do the work yourself, you're going to pay plenty. Before I took it out of San Diego, I had a shop on the field just change the oil, adjust the pressure in the struts, and go up with me for 1/2 hour to sign me off in it. He charged me $245. My jaw hit the floor, as the oil and gasket are only $50, the struts just used a little nitrogen, and he only spent about 1 hour on it, most of which he was talking instead of working. Bastid!

edit: spelling

Edited by RT junkie

Most of Macrossworld's members cars are in the original thread aren't they? Anyways, I'm partial to Honda cars, but I love cars of a lot of makes and models (not just imports). If it's a good car, I like it...don't particularly care what country made it. Here are my two toys:

lg_028.jpg

Nice.

Never was much of a Honda/Acura fan because of how ubiquitous they became around here (L.A.). Good cars but just effin' everywhere. I have always liked the CVCC, though. I'm quite partial to hatchbacks. And really, how can you not like the NSX?

Nice.

Never was much of a Honda/Acura fan because of how ubiquitous they became around here (L.A.).  Good cars but just effin' everywhere.  I have always liked the CVCC, though.  I'm quite partial to hatchbacks.  And really, how can you not like the NSX?

385466[/snapback]

Ohhh, yeah, I know. I've seen some pics of what some people (not everyone, I know) in California are doing to their Hondas/Acuras.....not really my thing.

Strictly a personal opinion here, but I not a big fan of crome (except on old cars like my '78 SB1), cars covered in vinyl, neon lights everywhere, and uber-stereo (ones with a million LCD screens) systems on performance cars.

Also, the whole Fast and Furious scene puzzles me. When I used to go drag racing/street racing, it was fast and happy. Loser buys donuts or pizza. There was no furious. I don't recall anyone drawing a gun or getting pissed off for losing. Everyone came out and had a good time. I dunno, maybe I'm just a little crusty.

Sorry for the rant guys.

Edited by peter

I know exactly what you mean, it seemed like as soon as F&F came out anyone and everyone who wanted to race their car acted like a dick. When i was a familiar at my track we had an easy way of filtering out the douche bags kind of like what forums do.

Since were thinking big here like planes, does anybody here own or know someone who owns a firetruck? After I get my degree and if I find a job I plan to roll in a firetruck! But I don't know if the companies who make them would sell to an individual, I know you could buy a used one off ebay tho.

I know it sounds kind of childish, but just think of things you could do with it. If someone tried to cut you off on the road you could honk at them with a deafening horn instead of the those weak horns on cars that go beep beep.

If the horn is not good enough for yah then you could blast them with the siren or pick up your radio and switch it to speaker to verbally release your anger outloud. :D When your in a car your only limited to flipping the bird or rolling down the window and yell your angry message.

Edited by Osean

i've seen them on ebay and government auctions too (along with ambulances, and seized vehicles) but i think there are state and county laws that would prohibit their day to day use on public roads. You might get lucky and maybe you can get it neutered like when you buy a retired police interceptor, but then it basically takes all of the fun (at least the reasons you provided) in owning one in the first place. At that point it'll just be a big hard to drive gas hogging truck with no real space to haul anything. At least when you own a retired police car you get a better V8.

Edited by emajnthis

well, slight update on the new car-to-be.....after test driving the Scion xA, I find that I like it more. I think it looks better, it's been out for awhile so it won't have the "first year" issues. And it comes with more standard features too. So maybe in a couple weeks I'll be delivering in a better car.

well, slight update on the new car-to-be.....after test driving the Scion xA, I find that I like it more.  I think it looks better, it's been out for awhile so it won't have the "first year" issues. And it comes with more standard features too.  So maybe in a couple weeks I'll be delivering in a better car.

386147[/snapback]

I've always liked the xA/ist. If you get one, go VIP style, yo! And don't forget the mad camber!

well, slight update on the new car-to-be.....after test driving the Scion xA, I find that I like it more.  I think it looks better, it's been out for awhile so it won't have the "first year" issues. And it comes with more standard features too.  So maybe in a couple weeks I'll be delivering in a better car.

386147[/snapback]

Cool. What color will it be?

lol, mine just got wrecked and you're buying a new one. Well if you have to do anything to it, just go suspension (very loose at high speeds), brakes (brakes well, but the rear uses drum and can sometimes get weird), and tint (especially with black color), because that thing will get 35mpg regardless of how hard you drive it. However, if you need a little more oomph out of it, there are a lot of supercharger kits on the market, but i never had much of a problem in mine. So long as you get it in manual, first and second are wonderful, third is a pig, fourth isn't bad, but fifth is hardly what i would call overdrive (3 grand at 60mph) but it's not bad for a five speed with amazing gas mileage.

the thing's gonna be in the new red they have for this year "solar red", I wanted Absolutely Red, but they don't put it on them anymore...

and it's definately gonna be a 5-speed. no question about that.

and with me getting an econobox, I can finallly get me another mopar (probably a Diplomat or a 5th Avenue) to start building up to drift with.

the thing\'s gonna be in the new red they have for this year \"solar red\", I wanted Absolutely Red, but they don\'t put it on them anymore...

and it\'s definately gonna be a 5-speed. no question about that.

and with me getting an econobox, I can finallly get me another mopar (probably a Diplomat or a 5th Avenue) to start building up to drift with.

386328[/snapback]

I miss my old Mopar...69 Challenger (Plum Crazy) with a 318cid. Sold the Challenger for 68 Ford Fairlane GTA 429 SuperCobraJet.

Currently driving:

06 VW Passat

05 VW Golf (wife)

69 AMC Rambler

my motto as far as cars go: KLS---->Keep it Looking Stock.

this theory will really get the test once I get me a Dippy, drive around with a 500hp car that looks 95% stock, (2.5% taken off for Vermillion Red paint, 2.5% taken off for sidepipes)

GS-R was wrecked when a lady in an SUV wasn't paying attention and ran through an intersection totally destroying my GS-R (hit in the driver front fender, taking the entire front of the car off) resulting in a huge insurance settlement in my favor which allowed me to purchase some nice cars later.

xA was wrecked in similar fashion, but this time my pregnant wife was driving and the lady that hit her was driving a civic coming from the passenger side. Also not our fault and awaiting a full settlement to go through.

The xA is a neat econobox, but i'd say even for daily driving it needs a stiffer suspension and some nice wheels if you have the money.

Badical.

386337[/snapback]

Oh yeah. Simply "Pimp-a-licious." :p The hell is that thing? I'm guessing it's got a very small disp. motor, for economy's sake? Which begs the question: does that thing even make enough torque to handle the extra rotating mass of that wheel/tire pkg? 0-60 must take around 8.6......minutes.

Don't get me wrong. It's actually not too shabby looking. Except that dog di-k w'shield decal: "FABULOUS" <_< Crosses the threshold of overkill to just plain tacky, self-satire. True coolness shouldn't have to be "broadcast" in such an overt manner, I'd say. Makes me think of that parody actor from the UK, Ali-G, is it?

Edited by reddsun1

Badical.

386337[/snapback]

Oh yeah. Simply "Pimp-a-licious." :p The hell is that thing? I'm guessing it's got a very small disp. motor, for economy's sake? Which begs the question: does that thing even make enough torque to handle the extra rotating mass of that wheel/tire pkg? 0-60 must take around 8.6......minutes.

Don't get me wrong. It's actually not too shabby looking. Except that dog di-k w'shield decal: "FABULOUS" <_< Crosses the threshold of overkill to just plain tacky, self-satire. True coolness shouldn't have to be "broadcast" in such an overt manner, I'd say. Makes me think of that parody actor from the UK, Ali-G, is it?

386362[/snapback]

The car pictured is a Toyota ist (Scion xA over here in the States). I highly doubt anyone who would modify their ist/xA like that has any plans on racing it so torque is a non-issue.

FABULOUS is the name of a Japanese aftermarket parts company. Here's the link to their page. They specialize in what is known in Japan as "VIP style"; super-low luxury sedans (usually), big wheels, and usually black.

(soon to be Lotus Elise)

385783[/snapback]

Hey, A1, have you decided between the Elise and the Porsche 911?

385787[/snapback]

The new decision is between the Elise, the 911 and the Cayman. Just spent 3k fixing everything on my M so I don't want to sell it for at least 9 months.