Which Side Would You Support?

At the end the Anti-UN are bastards. Their actions not justifiable. But in war there's always two sides, and whatever lead them to be being such bastards, could have been provoked by previous wrong doings of the UN?

Are they? Let's take the usual anime guidelines on political conflict:

UN ideology started off as a positive initiative to unify mankind, but got twisted along the way to benefit specific (old-national) interests (OTEC?). Anti-UN get's formed in response by the oppressed and political opponents of the initial idea. Good and bad guys serve as soldiers on both sides, both UN and Anti-UN commit unspeakable acts to win the war and the (political) leadership on both sides is morally corrupt...well, except for some cute princess. ( Misa? ^_^ ). Both sides can be described as shades of grey, but since the anti-UN has to lose for narrative purposes, they get portrayed as the more brutal side.

In the end, i think the reformation of the United Earth Government wasn't an end to individual nations, just more solidarity of the bonds that were there before. If it was truly an end of nations under one, I think the anti-un would've won the war. The one thing I think people don't want to hear is the fact that all your forefathers fought for in keeping the sovreingty of your country has all but been evaporated. Logically, handing over those reigns just doesn't make sense. It would make sense, if they did it completely after the Zentraedi bombardment of the planet.

That said, as I live in the U.S., and I like where I live, there'd be no reason for me to jump ship. With my electrical engineering degree, I'd apply to work at South Ataria island, on the SDF-1.

Edited by Jasonc

Anti-UN would it include a still alive Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc? These political boundaries changed considerably in the time of SDF:M and Zero...I would think NATO vs Warsaw Pact if it was still the 80's.

Today? It’s a crap shoot...USA, Britain, Germany, and most of Western Europe would probably be UN, along with Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Panama, Peru, and the rest of the former British and Spanish Caribbean islands would join too. Venezuela, Bolivia, Argentina, Nicaragua, Cuba would not.

I’d bet Russia, China, N Korea, the rest of Eastern Europe would make the bulk of the Anti-UN.

The Middle East is another enigma, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Iraq, Israel would be in…Iran, Siria, Palestine no.

Problem with this question is that it’s so dynamic on the politics of the age. In the 80’s it was USA vs USSR, now? Most of the Anti-UN countries I mentioned all share the same dislike for mostly American policy that makes us look “Imperialistic”. Now please let’s not turn this into a political debate. I think I listed countries specific enough to be considered common knowledge with their beliefs.

Granted this list could change easily either way, no one knows how any country would react if an alien spaceship crashed on Earth and its secrets revealed not only over-technology but also the proof that we are not alone and we could face danger from the stars.

Back to the original question though…I would support a unified world government. With the idealistic and romantic view that we as a species can grow up beyond our petty differences and can achieve greatness when faced with an insurmountable challenge.

you forgot Japan and of course China would be involved in the U.N.

Are they? Let's take the usual anime guidelines on political conflict:

UN ideology started off as a positive initiative to unify mankind, but got twisted along the way to benefit specific (old-national) interests (OTEC?). Anti-UN get's formed in response by the oppressed and political opponents of the initial idea. Good and bad guys serve as soldiers on both sides, both UN and Anti-UN commit unspeakable acts to win the war and the (political) leadership on both sides is morally corrupt...well, except for some cute princess. ( Misa? ^_^ ). Both sides can be described as shades of grey, but since the anti-UN has to lose for narrative purposes, they get portrayed as the more brutal side.

I stated something similar in my previous posts. ;)

But Ivanov's and co's tactics were like those of bastards, especially harming a bunch of people that only fish and dance all day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found this article warning of possible alien attack during the London olympics: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1x7aR1AOE

Looks like Nick Pope, Former UFO expert at the MoD, would obviously be Pro-UN in a unification war.

"The logical course is to unite the world against the alien threat, combining our military strength and fighting under the United Nations. But some countries might not fight.

'We saw this type of treachery and cowardice in the Second World War. Though some brave people joined the Resistance, much of France accepted Nazi occupation."

Edited by Freiflug88

• 2 weeks later...

I would no doubt be Anti-UN all the way. De-centralized power structures is the way to go and every nation should be responsible for defending their region of "space" from alien invaders IMO.

Do recall that not everyone in the Anti-UN were for de-centralisation.

I wish I would have jumped into this thread when it was new (oh well RL has a way of derailing other plans)...

The UN and A-UN, IMHO are fairly complex when you consider world politics. It is a mixture of ideology+pragmatism.

There wouild be divergent views on how to handle the Alien threat as well as:

• Political Rule Ideology = Slow democratic process vs authoritarian decisivie process (inclusive vs exclusive)
  • Energy Policy = Clean, unlimited fusion energy vs oil dependent status quo
  • Technology Policy = Restrictive disclosure vs Open disclosure (exclusive vs inclusive)
  • Control = self explanitory human weakness (both sides)
  • Knowldege = Restrictive vs Open Disclosure (not only in tech, but also armament deployments)
  • Press Ganged into the New Government = Several smaller nations and even some heavy hitters could be press ganged into a global government that they didn't want, perhaps on an empty promise to see tech secrets from OTEC shared. Hence the assassination of the first President (Gen Sec.)...

The nations that would support either side will be determined by who stands to benefit the most from either side winning. Then there are the smaller satellite clingons who have nothing and are being promised the moon for their support.

For example; you could argue, Russia, China, N Korea, Brasil, Middle East (OPEC nations) would benefit if the A-UN prevailed because part of their interests rely on who controls energy and those are the types of positions that would make up that alliance.

One of the reasons why I balked at the notion that an Isreali company would help develop the SV-51 is because despite the country's independence on regional foreign policy, it is an ardent supporter of the US and NATO and is unlikely to side with a group that would undermine it's general support in the UN.

The thing I like about the Mac Zero era is that there are no clear good or bad guys. Both sides are guilty of atrocities and both sides are driven by their agendas, just like real life politics. The reality that the supporters of the A-UN have to do so covertly to give the appearance of UN support, but working to undermine the government.

We can speculate all we like as to who would belong to what side and justify that choice based upon what that nation stands to gain from that position. However, one must also keep in mind that the ideology of the citizens (or espoused ideology) of any particular country may not be that of the government running it (or those who influence the policy makers)...

Edited by Zinjo