F.E.A.R

wolfx

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fear/index.html?q=F.E.A.R

I've been way late in my gaming news. Probably cause i know my laptop kinda sux and can't play games these days. So I just got hold of news of this one called F.E.A.R which is an acronym for some hack special ops team which I forgot. I got a hold of the E3 2004 trailer and though my friend said it rox, I thought its pretty mediocre. I never was a fan of the Lith Tech engine, except maybe in NOLF and NOLF2. The Lith Tech engine's physics seem too strange and unrealistic. Dead body's rag doll physics also seem way off. Graphics look alright at best. And game play....it has the "Matrix-waves" and "bullet time" effect. Ho hum.

Anyway on to the story, some research facility or office building of sorts sending strange signal. Delta Force sent in to investigate but they were massacred. That's where you and your squad come in. Part of some uber team, F.E.A.R, you're sent in to investigate. Upon arrival, you come across terrorists/spec ops enemies shooting ya. But throughout the level, strange things happen. You hear distortion in your radio signal (ala Silent Hill) and you see a lil kid girl dressed in red appearing in places...scaring you outta yur pants. Like when the elevator's lights flicker on and off and for one frame she appears in front of you. Then you enter a room completely filled with blood. Then she walks along randomly and you see your team mates getting decapitated as she just walks past them (and over them on the ceiling).

ANy thoughts on this game?

Ok fine....have a horror genre with the FPS but I'm not too sure about this.

Edited by wolfx

Just one.

If Monolith's making another FPS, it needs to be Shogo 2.

Agreed. That damn op song is still stuck in my head, believe it or not.

I've seen screenshots here and there and lots of glimpses of the game but it all just looks like another me-too shooter but with a horror twist. The graphics look OK, nothing ground breaking and the plot sounds straight out of the discard deck of Stargate SG-1, Buffy or Mutant X. Then again most computer games have crappy plots which are basically just there to give a reason why the main character is killing everyone. :p

... and what the hell is it with little ghost girls that everyone is so scared of? Yes, in the Shining those two little twins were just creepy but not scary. What is she going to do? Hit you with her teddy bear? :rolleyes:

Then again most computer games have crappy plots which are basically just there to give a reason why the main character is killing everyone. :p

You modern gamers and your REASONS...

When I was a kid, we shot robots for no reason whatsoever. And they shot us.

Heck, we shot space rocks for no reason. We even shot abstract geometric shapes.

Uphill through the boiling snow no less.

And we were HAPPY!

Just one.

The original Shogo was pretty fun for it's time. Yup.....there's also a cover story about F.E.A.R on the latest issue of Computer Gaming World.

I'll try and scan it later tonight. B))

Just one.

holy sh:t, i thought i was the only person who played that. That game kicked a$$ with its huge and agile mechs. A sequal would be great but its questionable about the publicity the first shogo got.

This FEAR game looks alright. I love the machine gun; how stray bullets rip up the walls and debris is flying everywhere. The bubbly bullet time sh:t is cool too. But ultimatley, this game misses the gravey train, what with doom 3/half-life 2/ stalker defining the new generation of fps's, this game lags behind.

Just one.

holy sh:t, i thought i was the only person who played that. That game kicked a$$ with its huge and agile mechs. A sequal would be great but its questionable about the publicity the first shogo got.

From what I gather, it has a small but fiercely loyal fanbase, and Monolith is still getting regular requests for a sequel.

It was also popular enough that it was the subject of a LithTech demo movie a while back. Had a guy wandering around a Shogo-style city, riding a Shogo-style subway, more wandering around the city, then getting stomped by an ... Ordog, I think it was.

Spawned a fairly fierce bit of rumors flying for a little while.

Then again most computer games have crappy plots which are basically just there to give a reason why the main character is killing everyone.  :p

You modern gamers and your REASONS...

When I was a kid, we shot robots for no reason whatsoever. And they shot us.

Heck, we shot space rocks for no reason. We even shot abstract geometric shapes.

Uphill through the boiling snow no less.

And we were HAPPY!

Don't even get me started on the little round yellow guy who ate ghosts for fun.

But Shogo had Rick Hunter in it! :-)

That said, it was a great game, even though it wasn't "anime" as it claimed to be and marketed itself as. The artists were clearly highly inexperienced with the anime style and it just came off looking amateur (the anime influence).

But the rest of the game, the engine, graphics, design, gameplay, and story were top-notch! I played this game for years! The demo I played for hours on end!

But Shogo had Rick Hunter in it! :-)

That said, it was a great game, even though it wasn't "anime" as it claimed to be and marketed itself as. The artists were clearly highly inexperienced with the anime style and it just came off looking amateur (the anime influence).

But the rest of the game, the engine, graphics, design, gameplay, and story were top-notch! I played this game for years! The demo I played for hours on end!

It had Isamu Dyson too, if I recall.

And Major Kusanagi, but she didn't fly anything, so we don't care. :p

Anyways, it was a fun game.

And one of the few FPSes with an actual plot, as well as characters.

I wonder how much time I logged on that game...

I wish there was a story arc for if you flipped out and started killing people in level 2 and successfully repulsed the 3.2 metric buttloads of troops that subsequently stormed your butt, instead of just leaving you stranded with nothing to do but smash TV screens.

I also wish that doors couldn't crush you to death when you opened them...

I'm also a huge Shogo fan and so is a friend of mine. I think one of the big problems with the game was that it was pretty buggy from the start. It still rocked and one of my favorites of all time. The weapons you had as a robot were simply outstanding. It would be awesome to have a game like that today with more destructable environments and better graphics.

I'm also a huge Shogo fan and so is a friend of mine. I think one of the big problems with the game was that it was pretty buggy from the start. It still rocked and one of my favorites of all time. The weapons you had as a robot were simply outstanding. It would be awesome to have a game like that today with more destructable environments and better graphics.

Favorite bug: The AI neglecting to come online when you came in line with it.

Had some people I emptied a shotgun point blank on. Right between the eyes.They flinched, stood up, ran back to their starting point, and resumed waiting for me to trip them.

And BULLGUT RULES!

Or would if it was even mildly accurate.