Scratchbuilt 12" Space Marine

GreatMoose

Is that like some futureistic Nazi thing?

kinda sorta in a wierd way. In the Warhammer 40K "universe", the Space Marines are the elite shock troops of the emperor who eats souls. but, they happen to be the "good guys", since they fight orks, demons and wierd bug things. no affiliation to the nazi Party, though.

Thanks for the pics GreatMoose! How long did it take you to finish up that custom? By any chance....have you heard of the CG Warhammer movie? The last time someone showed me some screenshots they looked pretty good to me. B)

Thanks for the pics GreatMoose! How long did it take you to finish up that custom? By any chance....have you heard of the CG Warhammer movie? The last time someone showed me some screenshots they looked pretty good to me. B)

they're doing a videogame too. a FPS, i think.

Thanks guys. I'll try to answer your questions in order:

1)Yes, it is my own work. I am currently working on a Heavy Bolter Devastator add-on for him (Heavy weapons marine). Oh, by the way, he's from the Deathwatch Chapter on loan from the Ultramarines.

2)It took a long, LOOONG time, but it was worth it. The movie, by the way, is Damnatus, and info is at www.damnatus.com

3)The game is called Firewarrior and is from the Tau perspective. Alien Scum!

I molded most of the parts out of ceramic putty, and the leg, arm and backpack armor are from styrene. I'm also working on two different Terminator models, a Grey Knight and an (probably) Ultramarine Termie. Or maybe an Inquisitor suit. We'll see. I'll put some more pics up soon.

Nice Marine!

You should post pics of it in a Space Marine Forum I frequent called Bolter and Chainsword. They'll love it.

I believe the CG movie UN Spacy is talking about is called Bloodquest. Its not quite dead, but it needs more funding to continue production.

Edited by Barpharanges

That's sweet....Can I make a slight suggestion though (maybe jarhead bias here and I have no idea where or what this custom fig is being pulled from), but what about making up some kind of EGA (Eagle, Globe, and Anchor) symbol to put on the armor. Just doesn't seem like a Marine if it doesn't have some kind of a EGA ... :lol:

Beautiful, and it definitely looks as if you've put a lot of work into it. I can't wait until it's finished. I hope you intend to add more detail to the figure itself, such as somthing on the legs to make them look less bare. Even if it's only small pieces of styrene made to look like bolts. On a figure that size, little details always help. Still, even as is it looks magnificent.

'Damnatus', eh? There was another Warhammer 40k movie in the works before the Final Fantasy movie's terrible performance at the box office struck down a lot of potential films. The backers all blame it on people not liking CG films or game-based films, instead of placing the blame where it belongs. Still, that's a rant for another thread. Time to peek at this trailer.

I might try to recast it, I'm not sure. I'd love to make the whole thing out of resin or GBP. Because it fits OVER a figure, it may be very difficult to do that. I'll see what I can do, though. I may just recast the shoulder pads, helmet, and fiddly bits, and make seperate parts for the rest of the armor and backpack, and make kind of a kit out of it. We'll see. :D

Okay, here is the brief rundown of 40k.

Marines: Emperors shock troops, they do not eat souls, and no, they are not nazis. i do believe the sculpture is a deathwatch marine from the templars.

Chaos: Daemons and evil space marines, some do eat souls.

Imperial guard: normal humans with laser rifles (commonly known as flashlights where i play) these guys work in hordes.

Orks: big green and stupid. googd at CC, bat ranged.

Tyranids: Bugs! lots of BUGS!

Eldar: a very advanced race of space-elves. kinda. they are very nasty.

Dark eldar: bad eldar.

Tau: advanced aliens, very much like modern troops is the way they work.

Necrons: think the terminator, only better.

Sisters of battle: female space marines, with a taste for flamethrowers.

thats all i believe.

Okay, here is the brief rundown of 40k.

Marines: Emperors shock troops, they do not eat souls, and no, they are not nazis. i do believe the sculpture is a deathwatch marine from the templars.

Chaos: Daemons and evil space marines, some do eat souls.

Imperial guard: normal humans with laser rifles (commonly known as flashlights where i play) these guys work in hordes.

Orks: big green and stupid. googd at CC, bat ranged.

Tyranids: Bugs! lots of BUGS!

Eldar: a very advanced race of space-elves. kinda. they are very nasty.

Dark eldar: bad eldar.

Tau: advanced aliens, very much like modern troops is the way they work.

Necrons: think the terminator, only better.

Sisters of battle: female space marines, with a taste for flamethrowers.

thats all i believe.

no, not the marines. i thought the emperor himself ate souls to stay alive.....

Yeah the Emperor does consume 1000 souls a day to saty alive and the Marines are based on the Nazi's them, and the Guard who are based on The Red Army, being the 'good guys' was one of the in jokes of Rouge Trader the oringal 40K which was published way back in the late 80's, I was told as much by Jervis Johnston one of the oringal creators of the Warhammer universe

Hybridchild

Technically, Chaos Marines are supposed to be marines corrupted by the demons from the Warp. Of course, it would be pretty easy to point at anyone and say they're corrupted by the demons, if you wanted to get rid of them.

I'd never heard about the Emperor eating a thousand souls a day to stay alive, but it could be how they keep him alive all this time. Everything I've seen and read lead me to believe he was a vegetable, connected to a bunch of machines being kept alive. The humans believe their Emperor is fighting demons in the Warp, though it's never actually addressed in the books as to whether that's true or if he's just some poor schmuck being kept alive in a crippled body that can't even speak. Apparently he cries a lot and priests collect his tears, thinking he weeps for mankind or something.

As to how he got connected to all those machines in the first place? Ages and ages in the past he struck down Horus, the leader of a revolt, but himself was left barely alive.

Anyways, I did download the trailer for that movie. Could be interesting, but the directing and the effects look really bad. I'm sorry to say but the movie would look a lot better if the characters themselves were mediocre CG, instead of live actors composited onto obviously CG backgrounds. Of course, what can you expect from a fan movie? Still...given enough time it could look a lot better, even if not as good as Blood Quest looked CG-wise. Effect aside, maybe it will have a decent story to make up for the lack of a budget. Worth a look no matter what, if for no other reason than curiousity.

There's a difference between Chaos Marines and Renegade Marines. Chaos marines (like the World Eaters and Iron Warriors) and have been corrupted by the Warp powers, and all of thier chapters were a part of the Horus Heresy. Renegade Marines (like the Lost and Damned, and the early Lamenters), are not necessarily corrupted, but are, well, controversial.

My marine is from the Ultramarines, attached to the Deathwatch (a part of the Ordo Xenos of the Inquisition, elite alien hunters).

The Emperor eating souls is correct, it's called soul binding, and it is a part of the Astronomican, the psykic navigational beacon used for space travel.

The Adeptus Astartes (Space Marines), have no historical equivalent. The equivalent of the US Army Rangers would be the Cadian IG, the Red Army=Valhallens, Nazi SS=Mordian Iron Guard, SAS, Seals=Stormtroopers, etc...

The Marines are genetically engineered, 7 foot tall, CONSTANTLY trained, super soldiers. They never rest, never stop fighting. Heck, they don't even really need to sleep. WH40K is an incredibly rich universe, some of it is disturbing, most of it is REALLY cool.

The Adeptus Astartes (Space Marines), have no historical equivalent. The equivalent of the US Army Rangers would be the Cadian IG, the Red Army=Valhallens, Nazi SS=Mordian Iron Guard, SAS, Seals=Stormtroopers, etc...

The oringal guard from first edition was based on the Red Army, thats why they had things like Commisars and Penal Legions etc. Its just later that they evolved into what the differant groups

The Marines are genetically engineered, 7 foot tall, CONSTANTLY trained, super soldiers.  They never rest, never stop fighting.  Heck, they don't even really need to sleep.  WH40K is an incredibly rich universe, some of it is disturbing, most of it is REALLY cool.

Excatly theyre the perfect human beings that are totally loyal to their leader and hunt down all the impure souls and abonations they are the master race the nazis where trying to create

Hybridchild

marines are genetically not perfect. while having two hearts, and so on, there are many talesof marines geneseed goig corrupt at any time. the flesh tearers are a good example of this. in fact, it is still happening. they have already killed an entire legion each of marines and guard. even the space wolves.

Greatmoose, that is an ultramarine, but why does it have a templar sigil?

And renegade marines are not chaos, renegades are just that, renegades. the just fight for themselves, not the emperor. traitor marines are chaos.

marines are genetically not perfect. while having two hearts, and so on, there are many talesof marines geneseed goig corrupt at any time. the flesh tearers are a good example of this. in fact, it is still happening. they have already killed an entire legion each of marines and guard. even the space wolves.

Yeah its a flawed concept same as the Aryan supermen, but the idea behind the Marines is that they would be perfect it didnt work in practice though

Hybridchild