Jolly Rogers Super Hornets, pics!

Disclaimer: I didn't paint them, Boeing did.

PS---the Jolly Rogers are currently on deployment with their F-14's and aren't on-hand to "customize" the markings. But the squadron commander apparently isn't happy, and basically plans to repaint as soon as possible.

PPS--apparently there is some admiral who doesn't like certain paint on Super Hornets, notably no tailcodes on the rudders, (many squadrons have had to have them moved) and worst of all--NO BLACK TAILS ON F-MODELS! So nobody knows what they're going to do. This is why the Black Knights don't have black tails anymore.

PPPS--full credit goes to Brian Marbrey at ARC, aka "VF-103 guy".

With the F-14 not only is it the death of a wel reknowned and awesome fleet interceptor/defener/air superiority/strike bomber/armeed recon, but it is also the death of AWESOME color schemes for the navy. With that admiral advocating no black paint and so forth on dual superbugs and such the US navy's fleet will NEVER match the glory in colors that was the late 70s and early 80s naval battle group.

RIP tomcat and RIP the high viz color schemes that made it shine.

superhornet pictured above aint low viz, just low QUALITY

LOL. sorry boys I had to chime in!1 i just HAD to!

I think they should go ultra-flourescent-high-vis to counter the admiral's rules. All yellow-tail, black skull, white accents. :)

Most likely thing they'll do IMHO: Late 80's grey-tail variation. Also gets around the tailcode rule by having them on the inside.

Of course, maybe just maybe there'll be enough of an uproar that the rule will change, and the Black Knights, Black Aces, and Jolly Rogers can have black tails again. Blah, the friggin Tophatters get to have black tails because they've got E-models....

It looks ridiculous with just the tail in hi-vis and lo-vis everywhere else.

Shift some more colors around ;-)

David, so former F-14 squads are getting twin seater Hornets now? Might we start seeing twin seater Hornets belonging purely to the Navy too, or are they just going with Super Hornets now?

Navy does have B and D models, but you can't use them operationally on carriers, the Hornet is SO pressed for weight, the 2nd guy is enough to preclude their use. They are only with the training squadrons. So there's like, 5. Blue Angels have probably the only operational B model in the fleet.

In addition to range, the main goal of a Super Hornet was to increase the allowable bring-back weight of a Hornet. So that you can actually USE 2-seaters. Almost all F-14 squadrons (that survive) are getting Hornet-F's. A few are getting E's, but most E's are going to former C-model users and just a few re-established VA squadrons, ex-A-7 users and such.

Ok, more info coming out:

1. VF-103 requested a high-vis plane for #101, Boeing said no, that wouldnt be to mil specs. :p The real answer is that it would have cost another 2 bucks of paint to add some black and yellow stripes... Repaints come out of the squadron's own money, not Boeing's contracted money, so we'll have to wait until the squadron gets ahold of them.

2. They'll probably have dark grey (36081) tails for most of the squadron.

3. The showbird (likely #103) will have *black* tails, regardless of what some higher-ups want. ;)

4. To quote the CO of the Jolly Rogers regarding the new Boeing-applied logos-- "That crap's coming off as soon as we get back! "

Ok, more info coming out:

1. VF-103 requested a high-vis plane for #101, Boeing said no, that wouldnt be to mil specs. :p The real answer is that it would have cost another 2 bucks of paint to add some black and yellow stripes... Repaints come out of the squadron's own money, not Boeing's contracted money, so we'll have to wait until the squadron gets ahold of them.

2. They'll probably have dark grey (36081) tails for most of the squadron.

3. The showbird (likely #103) will have *black* tails, regardless of what some higher-ups want. ;)

4. To quote the CO of the Jolly Rogers regarding the new Boeing-applied logos-- "That crap's coming off as soon as we get back! "

AWESOME! that CO is what the 80s navy was all about...high viz and ASS KICKING MISSION DEDICATED AIRCRAFT!! woo hoo!!

Though I know the tailfins will look better, I still doubt we will see the lovely huge ass stripes on the side near the cockpit like on the VF-84 Tomcats. Decals looked awesome on tomcart but boring as hell on super hornet. crap even corsair, yes A-7s have better looking decals!!

Could this be Focker's old plane ?, does the AA tailcodes stand for Alcoholics Anonymous ? guess we'll never know...

:(

HAIL NO!! Focker wouldn't be as bad ass for flying dosmething like that! I tend to think hsi old plane is a VF-84 F-14...yea that sounds JUST right. Hgh viz, and enough firepower to kill the enemy 10x over ffrom long range or short range. Yeap. thats the focker I know.

hmmm if I were to be assigned flying this instead of my Bad-ass, High-vis,

B*stards of naval legacy F-14

I would make myself entirely low-vis and keep my head aimed at the

ground in shame, till the end of my career

"See that? That poor soul once flew the best we had to offer"

-"Who is he"

"He's the CO of the once legendary Jolly Rogers Squadron"

-"what Happened"

"he got a Hornet,... in Low vis colors"

Edit:

B-52 GUNNER

Larger Skull on the Tailfin! Move Those A's

Edited by Nightbat®

Yellow wingtips? That hasn't been seen since they had F-8's. Coincidentally, both VF-84 and VF-103 had yellow wingtip markings at the time.

FYI:

AA is the tailcode for the 17th wing. http://www.jolly-rogers.com/cvw-103.htm

The stripe on the nose is known as the vagabond stripe.

PS--I wonder if even VF-84's 1959 flaming intake scheme would be enough to make a Super Bug look cool... Note, the h.stabs should have stripes too, they forgot.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Edit:

B-52 GUNNER

Larger Skull on the Tailfin! Move Those A's

:huh::blink: I am sorry to say that I have reached the end of my Photoshop experience.

If someone else would like to make any other changes, feel free.

Scot

no biggie, you can't polish a turd right?