preview weather 1J

do not disturb

hey g-man,

yeah sorry about the poor pic quality but i took it at 3:00am in the morning. :p you can't make out any of the details and such but i can tell you this, this is a fully playable valk. meaning none of the paint is gonna rub off, smudge, chip, fleck, none of that madness. i think i discovered a new method in creating a battered/weathered look without using a drop of paint. B))

heres a couple, sorry but its dark now and my flash is screwing up the pic....it hard to see any details. :(

i haven't done anything to it as of yesterday but any comments on how to make it fresher would be greatly appreciated. :)

post-4-1088734944_thumb.jpg

the secret method is just a pencil. :D i followed someones advice to do panel lines and they came out way too dark. i licked my thumb(yeah whatever!) and tried rubbing it off, it looked cool, i ended up creating this "dirty" look. it took forever since i hand rubbed(my thumbs hurt so much) every piece i could and thats why it took 6 hours. :(:lol::(

the problem is, some of the valk parts are grainy, some smooth, so the graphite doesn't hold as well or holds too well but it ain't too bad.

the best part is, its graphite, so you can erase your mistakes! no paint for me please. :D i'm sure if i sand certain parts down(which i don't want to do), things would be easier but i figure it'll just take some patience and i'll be able to get the entire thing to my liking, along with change the color scheme to another color, maybe get some decals, then finish it off with a clear coat it. :)

btw, i didn't continue to lick my thumbs the hold time. :lol:

yeah, i don't know why yamato went with the off white for the 1J? i actually like the bandai 1J in grey compared to the yamato 1J.

i guess they could've gone with slightly different shades of whites and greys like they did with the 1/60's but then it would be a pain in the butt to match colors if you broke something.....ah, we can't win, and neither can yamato. :lol:

either way, if the 1J turns out nice, i do have an extra 1S roy. :D

BTW, anyone think of using water colors to do the panel lines? :unsure: i think it would be a cinch and take less than 5 minutes to do but i haven't tried it yet.

The effect looks pretty nice in the comparison pics, but doesn't the graphite wear off onto your hands if you touch it? :blink:

As for watercolor, I would think that the plastic would resist the watercolor, and it would just pool up into spots. No even coverage. I'd like to hear if anyonehas tried it though.

The effect looks pretty nice in the comparison pics, but doesn't the graphite wear off onto your hands if you touch it? :blink:

yes indeed it does, but thats a good thing since you have to cover the entire valk anyway. my hands/fingers were black all over but you can dip your fingers into a cup of water and rub some more...it makes it darker. once its done to your liking, then you can go ahead and apply a clear coat. :) again, its in pencil, so if you screw up, you can just erase it and start over.

As for watercolor, I would think that the plastic would resist the watercolor, and it would just pool up into spots. No even coverage. I'd like to hear if anyone has tried it though.

i'm not saying paint the whole valk with water colors, just the panel lines. you know, take some black paint, mix it with some water to dilute it, and start brushing away. i'm sure it won't stick to the "surface areas" but i think it'll hold in the panel lines cracks and crevices. when it dries, all you have to do is apply the clear coat and you're good to go!

again, i haven't tried it but i'm gonna hit up the art store and pick up a set...water colors are pretty cheap and if it works, i'll have panel lines within seconds as opposed to trying to paint or fill in the panel lines by hand. B))

in any case, this method isn't for everyone but i don't like painting, got no skills, got no airbrush, so this was my alternative. :p

It's amazing how great minds think alike. :D I did pretty much the same thing you did only I hit it with a gum eraser afterwards making mine a lighter grey and still white in some areas. It still needs alot of work but I'm lazy and untalented. <_<

Hey Haterist

I did some "weathering" with my VF-1J too.

If you are looking for a safe and easy way of doing some panel lines, i suggest you use a 0,5 pencil. Smalle if possible. Then just fill in the lines, and to get that "Used" and more realistic "dirty" look. Then just wipe ur finger aross the lines (with the airflow) and thats it.

You might wanna take a piece of paper, then really scribble alot on a smal part of the paper, so the lead from the pencil is really think and black, then take an eraser and then rub it on the paper till the eraser is really black.

Then you select certain parts on your valk, that you wanna dirty up...then smudge/rub the eraser with the airflow against the panel lines. If you want more acurate dirty effect then use the finger :p

Or you can simply try to erase certain panel lines, that you think is too thick with the eraser and you can get a more dirty Valk that way too :)

In any case the 0,5 pencil and eraser thing is a safe way of doing panel lines and giving it a dirty effect, and if you mess up then you can always wash it off with some warm water with soap.

Hope this helps.

-Jin

If your going to do all that to your valk put the sticker on first. Then get some acrylic FLAT black water down two or three drops in another jar and apply it to your panel lines. If there is some over spill just use your finger to get it up. It sound like your on your way to some customizing. Go for it dude. I've done all mine.