No Street Fighter movie for US

Gaijin

Was hoping that the special release of Street Fighter 2 Anniversary in the US would be like the Japan release which included the SF2 movie (among a host of other things). Instead we get...controllers that you can buy...from Nuby!! :angry:

I knew that it would wind up this way, but still....ordinary release

Street Fighter 2 Anniversary

comapred to Limited Edition Japan Release

Hyper Street Fighter 2 Anniversary

Edited by Gaijin

Well, the $95 dollar price tag, while most likely more expensive than what the same bundle would've gone for over here, is probably the deterrent. Even if it went for $59-69, it probably wouldn't sell anywhere near the number of copies as the $25 version being released here in the states. Expensive special editions just don't sell as well over here in the States as they may elsewhere. Only the most obsessive fans will pay $70 for a game they can get minus a book, t-shirt, figurine, whatever for $30-40 (and, frankly, in many cases I can't blame them).

As someone who loved the Street Fighter series as a kid, even I would be hard pressed to pick this up at anymore than $19-29. What WOULD have been nice would have been a general release such as what is coming here and also a very limited release more akin to the Japanese version (although, as mentioned above, in such cases usually the regular version sells through and the special edition only starts to sell when its price comes down to close what the basic version sold for).

Who cares?

For $30, I'm getting the best version of SF3, plus a new version of SFII that's basically all the other versions smashed into one. Good deal.

In Japan, they have to spend three times that to get what? The same game, plus the SF2 movie, and I sure as hell hope something else to make it worth that obscene price tag. Which is probably a bad deal anyway, because:

A.) The SF2 movie sucked.

B.) The live movie sucked more.

C.) The Street Fighter Alpha movie sucked.

D.) The American Street Fighter cartoon sucked.

So, there's no way I'd pay a fortune for any of those extras. Only way I'd pay $100 for a Street Fighter collection is if it's the game + the Street Fighter II V series.

Where did you get the $30 price tag from? I would have loved to have the SF2 movie on the Disc (even though it's edited...I got the import already), Sf2 movie have one of the best animations/ART and fight sequences to date of all the SF franchaise. I'm getting the the US version for the english version of 3rd strike. If they took out the movie, I wished they replace it with another bonus item on the disc, even if they put in the SF live movie (worst movie ever) I would be ok, paying for that price :blink:

Edited by Gunbuster

I know special editions don't sell well. Just that since they only ever released a dubbed and edited version of the movie here, I hoped.

I know getting 3rd Strike is a good deal and the price is right...guess it's because I have 3rd Strike on DC. Though Capcom Japan is offering: http://www.capcom.co.jp/sf3_3rd/

Just check out the limited edition SF3 third strike package...second bar from the left.

Taking out the movie in the US version, they replaced it with 3rd Strike. I liked the SF2 movie...I don't know why they took the music out and replaced it in the US release. The SF2 V series was good, and all the other SF movies and shows sucked. Especially that Alpha movie...I was really disapointed with that one.

And in Japan, there are 2 versions...the limited and the regular no frills game only for much cheaper.

For the 15th anniversary (which was a long time ago), you'd hope they'd do something better...even though SF2 is not as popular...

Yes I love SF. Sue me. And I know this post is jumbled.

Edited by Gaijin

those look like sega genisis controllers :blink:

Saturn, more so. Even the 6-button Genesis pad had no shoulder keys(well, one mode button, but most games pretended it couldn't be used). And was a continuous curve on the top.

And hey, it beats the heck out of Sony's pads as far as digital goes. And THEY PUT SELECT AND START IN A QUICK-ACCESS SPOT!

I think I'll pick a pad up myself, even though I have no real interest in the game.

It is, IMO, the perfect digital pad design(assuming the d-pad is reliable).

Well, actually I'd've put L1 and R1 on the left instead of the right. But that would've meant you'd have to reconfigure the game for the pad.

Actually, they look like the ASCII fighting pads for the Dreamcast (ironically based on the Saturn pad) which were great...save for the fact that the D Pads often wore out very quickly.

And since Nuby isn't exactly a quality name, I'd try one out for a bit first.

...looks like I'm importing this year...

Edited by Gaijin

I'm not clear on one thing. The anime bundled in the Japanese release is it original anime or an edited SF2 movie(which by the way I liked as well as SF2 V and SF Alpha movie.)? :p:p Oh, I believe SVC Chaos will be on PS2 and X-Box as well as 3D Polygon King of Fighters on PS2.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Actually, they look like the ASCII fighting pads for the Dreamcast (ironically based on the Saturn pad) which were great...save for the fact that the D Pads often wore out very quickly.

And since Nuby isn't exactly a quality name, I'd try one out for a bit first.

...looks like I'm importing this year...

Bleh.

I'll just beat someone up and steal their saturn pads, I guess.

my bad...i never played around on a saturn...back in the day every one of my friends had either an N64, a PS1 or still played on the old Genisis or SNES :rolleyes:

I've only had a little time on the Saturn. But I really like the pad, and it's widely regarded as one of the best-functioning gamepads out there.

Pity the system folded in America, really. It deserved better.

And I still play the old Genesis and SNES.

I'm not clear on one thing. The anime bundled in the Japanese release is it original anime or an edited SF2 movie(which by the way I liked as well as SF2 V and SF Alpha movie.)? :p  :p Oh, I believe SVC Chaos will be on PS2 and X-Box as well as 3D Polygon King of Fighters on PS2.

The bundled movie is the Street Fighter 2 Animated movie which was only released edited and dubbed in the US. Not the Alpha movie, SF2V series or any others...just the original SF2 movie.

As for those pads...for those interested, they do have a website

Streetfighter Controller

If they have better D-pads than the Ascii ones (which were great, just apparantly not able to stand up well)...I guess it'd be a good investment.[

Edited by Gaijin

I'm not clear on one thing. The anime bundled in the Japanese release is it original anime or an edited SF2 movie(which by the way I liked as well as SF2 V and SF Alpha movie.)? :p  :p Oh, I believe SVC Chaos will be on PS2 and X-Box as well as 3D Polygon King of Fighters on PS2.

The bundled movie is the Street Fighter 2 Animated movie which was only released edited and dubbed in the US. Not the Alpha movie, SF2V series or any others...just the original SF2 movie.

Streetfighter Controller

If they have better D-pads than the Ascii ones (which were great, just apparantly not able to stand up well)...I guess it'd be a good investment.[

I don't think its the actual SF 2 anime movie.

Taken from NCSX.coms info

A gallery mode on the Hyper SF2 DVD includes character artwork, opening and closing animations and the complete Japanese Street Fighter interactive animated movie which was released on the Saturn and Playstation (on two CD disks) back in the day. The quality of the movie is of higher quality than the MPEG1 Video-CD format found in the originals.

It says its interactive? What is it like Dragons Lair? lol

Streetfighter Controller

I don't think its the actual SF 2 anime movie.

Taken from NCSX.coms info

A gallery mode on the Hyper SF2 DVD includes character artwork, opening and closing animations and the complete Japanese Street Fighter interactive animated movie which was released on the Saturn and Playstation (on two CD disks) back in the day. The quality of the movie is of higher quality than the MPEG1 Video-CD format found in the originals.

It says its interactive? What is it like Dragons Lair? lol

Sounds like it.

That genre refuses to die off for some inexplicable reason.

As a side-note, I've been rummaging up some reviews of Nuby products, and they seem to be considerd fairly decent overall. Which makes them a far better 3rd party than, say, MadCatz(how do these people stay in business, anyways?).

Edited by JB0

A good deal since it includes 3rd strike...just was wishing they offered that limited edition here too is all.

Okay, yeah, I guess I can kinda see where you're coming from. I mean, if you're a big SF fan, you want the goods. Lord knows I wish I could get my hands on some of the Rockman stuff they have over in Japan.

The original SF II movie just didn't appeal to me, is all (although, like I said, I loved SF II V). And for $30, I think the American collection's fine with Hyper Street Fighter II and SF III Third Strike.

The only thing that upsets me is that this isn't OUT NOW!!!! :p

Well, we've got the Megaman Anniversary Collection to play for now. But I do wish it could come out in July or early August, because we're in for a dry spell. Instead, they gotta go and release it when Dead or Alive Ultimate comes out.

It is the Movie, I have it. With the edit out Chun Li scene :ph34r:

Do you know where I can find a good fansub of the Region 2 version? Do you know where I can find the DVD ( I don't want the crappy US version )?

:blink:

The only Streetfighter I care about has Van Damme in it.

lol heathen be gone!!!!!!!!!

<_< ugg. You guys just have BAD taste. I have always thought that any and all Street Fighter games should be based on that movie.

I am actually not being serious...

I am actually not being serious...

We know you're not being serious, Agent. Because Arnold wasn't in that version. ;)

AH!!! another true student of film...

"No Schwarzenegger = Not a good movie"

It never fails.

lol heathen be gone!!!!!!!!!

<_< ugg. You guys just have BAD taste. I have always thought that any and all Street Fighter games should be based on that movie.

Amusingly enough, there IS a Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

I'll gladly watch it for Kylie Minogue and shed a tear as Raul Julia's LAST role. :(

I could do WITHOUT Ken's weird camera flash fireball and Van Damme's sonic kick. :lol:

After I saw the Van Damme Street Fighter movie, I wanted to hang my head in shame. For me, the only saving grace was Ming Na,, and even then they gave her some crappy lines.

A lot of it had to do with the technological limitations at the time, but even now, with a CG Blanka or something, would that help the super duper lame ass story?

SF2 Animated movie please.

I'll gladly watch it for Kylie Minogue and shed a tear as Raul Julia's LAST role. :(

I could do WITHOUT Ken's weird camera flash fireball and Van Damme's sonic kick. :lol:

Dude!!! I had no idea Kylie was in that! Wow. Now I have to get that movie.