Hasegawa re-release 1/72 VF-1 Valkyrie

rarityraider

Very nice!

You can still get the normal Strike version for a lot less, and it also comes with both missile pods, and the VF-1A head I believe.

Not really sure what the difference is? Both kits only permit you to make (1) valkyrie if I remember correctly.

I wonder if the only change to the decals will be the inclusion of all (4) Skull Squadron variants. The normal Strike comes with Roy, Hikaru and Max, and the normal Super comes with Hikaru, Max and Hayao.

I'm so confused :( I thought Hasegawa didn't renew the license on the VF-1 planes. Guess that changed.

Love the box art, but I already have one of these that will never get built :)

You can still get the normal Strike version for a lot less, and it also comes with both missile pods, and the VF-1A head I believe.

Both missile pods, but no 1A head.

I have four of the Strike kits sitting around, BEGGING me to get on it. Too bad I have to have school in the middle of summer <_<

I'm so confused :( I thought Hasegawa didn't renew the license on the VF-1 planes. Guess that changed.

Love the box art, but I already have one of these that will never get built :)

From what I understand, the ones they did not renew were only the first 3 releases - the plain 1J, 1A, and 1S without any FAST packs.

Very nice!

Not really sure what the difference is? Both kits only permit you to make (1) valkyrie if I remember correctly.

I wonder if the only change to the decals will be the inclusion of all (4) Skull Squadron variants. The normal Strike comes with Roy, Hikaru and Max, and the normal Super comes with Hikaru, Max and Hayao.

Yes, it comes with decals for all four versions.

Now I just hope that they'll re-release the non-FAST Pack VF-1 in some form...nothing kills my model-making joy like the thought that if I mess this one up, I can't replace it...

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thank you for the pictures of the box contents.

You can buy the normal Strike kit for around $16.00.

These kits are selling for around $34, which is double that price.

You only get (2) different things:

New Boxart

Hayao Decals

That's it.

I'll buy one as a collectible, but if I want to build a Super/Strike, I'll go for the previous release and save myself a lot of money.

My honest opinion is that if Hasegawa can sell the Max/Millia set, which includes (2) valkyries for the standard amount, then I don't see why we shouldn't be able to get a true Super/Strike valkyrie kit for double the price. ;)

I love Hasegawa and their Macross kits kick ass, but I'm disappointed by this attempt to repackage something but not give us anything more substantive. <_<

I love Hasegawa and their Macross kits kick ass, but I'm disappointed by this attempt to repackage something but not give us anything more substantive. <_<

Well...they aren't really giving us anything new, but they DID discontinue the original Super and Strike Valks, so they're letting the kit remain available, just in a different package. Consider it a consolodation (selling one kit instead of two) rather than a new product.

I wish they'd do the same with the original non-FAST Pack Valks...I'm a-gonna miss those when they're gone...

Well...they aren't really giving us anything new, but they DID discontinue the original Super and Strike Valks, so they're letting the kit remain available, just in a different package.

I thought they only discontinued the first three non-FAST Valkyries. The Super and Strike Valks are still being produced.

I'm not too worried about it. These will come around again eventually.

I'm more worried about not ever getting a VF-11, or VF-0D

Consider it a consolation (selling one kit instead of two) rather than a new product.

I understand what you are saying, but I agree with my good friend Stamen0083, that I have not heard of the original Super/Strike kits as being discontinued.

There is also another flaw in your logic.

The new kit does not include everything that you would get if you bought the Super and Strike separately.

Obviously, you can get a Super and Strike kit for basically the same price as the new one, plus have two separate valkyries, but you do not get the VF-1J head with the new kit. <_<

That is the difference, and so if you want to make a Hikaru/Max/Millia VF-1J Super, you can't use the new Hasegawa kit in and of itself. We aren't talking decals here either or DYRL versus TV series differences, just the VF-1J head.

As I said, I'm not knocking the new kit, but it does not replace the original Super release. ;)

Really don't know why Hasegawa had announced no.5 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie were out of stock and stopped the production lines a few months ago... (from Hasegawa official website) :huh: But now release this version no.17 again and the main different is only on a piece of decal :angry:

Yen price is 2100 for no.5 and 2940 for no.17 ,

US price is 16 for no.5 and 34 for no.17, (from above reference)

Hope the retail cost could reasonable from my place. :unsure:

Cheers,

Edited by rarityraider

Well...they aren't really giving us anything new, but they DID discontinue the original Super and Strike Valks, so they're letting the kit remain available, just in a different package.

I thought they only discontinued the first three non-FAST Valkyries. The Super and Strike Valks are still being produced.

I'm not too worried about it. These will come around again eventually.

I'm more worried about not ever getting a VF-11, or VF-0D

According to the Hasegawa website, they've stopped production on the Super and Strike Valks as well as the regular ones...so get 'em while you can.

And I think we can pretty much bet on a VF-0D...they have the head and the cockpit in the VF-0B, they only need to make the wings. However, I agree with you on the VF-11...I REALLY want one of those...

EDIT: Whoa...you're right...it doesn't come with a J head...okay, I take back what I said, that's frickin' annoying. Worse than the VF-1S Strike Battroid being the only place to get Hikaru type VF-1A Super Battroid decals, and just as bad as the VF-1D being a limited edition...

Edited by Gubaba

Worse than the VF-1S Strike Battroid being the only place to get Hikaru type VF-1A Super Battroid decals, and just as bad as the VF-1D being a limited edition...

Since you brought it up, let me add several more to the list of weird decisions:

1.) The Virgin Road VF-1D does not include the VF-1D photoetched parts. I mean, what the hell were they thinking?

2.) The VF-1D photoetched set includes (2) parts that can only be used with (2) missile pods, but the VF-1D kit is not made for fastpacks. :blink:

3.) As if that isn't bad enough, the normal photoetched parts set which costs almost as much as an entire VF-1D, does not include these (2) missile pod parts.

4.) You need (4) RMS-1 missiles to make (1) DYRL style Super/Strike kit, but the freaking Weapon Set only comes with (6), but yet it has (2) pilots, and (4) box missiles. So you cannot use the Weapon Set to build (2) Super/Strike valkyries with the same DYRL missile load out.

So if you want to build a "completely hooked up" Super Valkyrie with an actual pilot in the cockpit, you have to buy (4), count them (4) different Hasegawa items:

a.) Super or Strike Valkyrie Kit ($16-$34)

b.) Limited Edition VF-1D Kit ($16-$24)

c.) Standard Photoetched Parts Set ($15-$18)

d.) Weapon Set ($15-$18)

Grand total for a "complete" VF-1: $77 (average price, shipping costs not included)

Lord forbid you want a display stand, because that's going to cost you another: $12, but at least you get (2) in the box.

I think that's it for now. No one ever said the hobby was cheap, but a little common sense goes a long way. <_<

a.) Super or Strike Valkyrie Kit ($16-$34)

b.) Limited Edition VF-1D Kit ($16-$24)

c.) Standard Photoetched Parts Set ($15-$18)

d.) Weapon Set ($15-$18)

Grand total for a "complete" VF-1: $77 (average price, shipping costs not included)

Lord forbid you want a display stand, because that's going to cost you another: $12, but at least you get (2) in the box.

I think that's it for now. No one ever said the hobby was cheap, but a little common sense goes a long way. <_<

Now that's marketing, they're not successful by accident.

$77 may seem pricey for a 'perfect' Hasegawa VF-1, but consider the alternative before the Hasegawa valks came along.

You had the rather bland 1/72 VF-1 Super Valkyrie fighter kit from Imai, complete with droopy nose and the inability to build it without FAST packs

And the 1/72 Club-M VF-1 resin kits, costing Y13800 - Y16800 (retail). Good kits, but still inferior to the Hasegawas in some respects.

Hey everyone I'm new here.

Seeing and reading this topic, you got me salivating!

Can this model be ordered through my local hobby store (I live in VA BTW)?