The Variable VF-2SS w/o armor project

Jarrod

Looking good so far B) . I like the way you solved the problem with the tail fins, it's very practical but doesen't it bother the placement of the wings or shoulder joints? If not I'm going to "borrow" :rolleyes: that idea. Good luck with the rest of the kit and don't forget to post lots of pics.

CBH:

No, the tailpacks are free from any interference, they do however rely on a fairly unslightly and long slot running each side of the backplate tho. And I am questioning the strength and stablity of the sliders themselves...they work fine, but I feel they might break easily and they're kinda wobbily. I did have to slice away some of the shoulder joint parts to make way for the peices I added for the wings to slide into.

Jessee:

First of all, big thanks to you and Rob for getting those parts out...I really didn't want to have to scratchbuild them. As for the wings, I added a small nub to the very tip of them(on the top side) as both a rotation point and a sliding guide. I then built up some guiding rails to hold the wings in place(its kinda hard to explain but as soon as I more batteries for my camera, I'll take some more detailed shots), the wings slide down/back first, and then fold in together. Another update should be along shortly.

Jarrod

Wow, that's looking pretty good. Some clever engineering going on in there.

The sliders for the boosters look like they should be pretty stable with that design. If they're wobbily, they that just means you have to tighten the tolerances between the parts.

As for strength... yea. If they're just plastic pieces glued together, they'll be fragile. But if they were recasted as one piece, they'd be a lot stronger.

Only problems that I see are that the boosters are sticking out a bit much when they're extended rearward. And you'll have to hinge the tailfins to the boosters too.

And the wing hinges look really good too. It's interesting how you made it both slide and pivot in order to get them in the two positions perfectly.

Keep it up! I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished model :)

Ok, as promised, some more pics. First up, a close up of the wing mount(perhaps I should paint some of the parts so everything doesn't get all washed out in all that white...), the tipe of the wing is sandwiched between the back plate and the peices I added. The nub visible on the wing runs along a channel in the backplate, and later a pin will be insterted into the visible hole and will run along the groove on the top piece in order to add more stability.

post-3-1063140981.jpg

Looks awsome dude B) ! I don't even see the slot for the tailfin pylons in the pic of it in fighter mode. BTW does the backpack have a joint to allow it to fold up? None the less great work.

Ok, so after a few days working on the MG S-Gundam, I got back to my VF-2, and so there are more pics now. Basicly all the engineering is now done and all that remains is alot of puttying and sanding, and then of course the paint job. So anyway, on with the pics, first fighter mode:

post-3-1063842173_thumb.jpg

wicked ass job!@!)(@ wish my parts would get here so i could do the same...

im just puzzled about how u got all this work? like did you make the wings yourself or did you spline the orignal wings in half?

if you dont mind could you do a indepth of how you put the wings together ? thatd be great for me if you could =)) im a lil baka

:o

Comicbookheros:

They're just some styrene pieces cut to shape.

dodiano:

On this scale, and with my skill, perfect transforming legs would pretty much be impossible. I'd need to be able to machine the parts in metal or somthing, and there'd be quite a few tiny hinges.

IIymij:

First I split the original's in half, then I added new parts and lengthened them a few mm's using styrene(plain white sheet plastic)

Jarrod

crap i gotta lenghten them? i have no idea how to do that ehehhe...

hmmm where can i get this styrene stuff? hardware store?

by the lets say i do get this styrene stuff how do i fuse them together?

Well you don't NEED to lengthen them...I thought it looked a bit better. And it's pretty simple, I cut the tip of the wing off(where the diagonal panel line is) added a piece of strip styrene, then glued the tip back on. Afterwards the styrene was sanded down to the shape of the wing.

You can find sheet and strip styrene in various thicknesses at any hobby shop, it usually runs about $2 for 2 good sized sheets or a bag of strips(you can also get it in tubes, rods, I-beams, different textures, etc). Its very easy to work with, you can cut it with scissors, clippers and an x-acto knife; any kind of plastic glue or super glue work well on it. The stuff is made for making custom/scratch parts.

Jarrod