VF-1 CG Transformation Test

DatterBoy

As always I am constantly inspired by work I 've seen on this board. As a result of seeing Dok's animation test and having a few opportunities to pick his brain I have an animation test of my own.

:Dat

xform.mov

Edited by DatterBoy

NOTE: Better to download the movie and play it off your desktop. I've had serious lag issues and poor frame rate to see it animated properly when it's being played through my browser.

I agree, especially on the arms portion. But I do think the transformation actually takes places at about that speed if not faster.

I have a slower version rensering now. I'll post it up later so people can see what's going on.

Edited by DatterBoy

Also, as I stated in Doc Gonzo's thread, the hips/intakes should rotate down slightly on their hydrualics to allow the arms to lock into place, and then they rotate back.

Also, it's Max's VF-1s, but still sports his 013 number instead of the appropriate 001.

Otherwise, it looks good! Once the film is fully loaded, I can control the frame rate and move back forth, so the details are a lot clearer.

See original post for the newer vid, slower one removed.

I'll address the cannon transformation subject in a bit...

Edited by DatterBoy

After talking to DOK, he tells me that the Macross design works staes that the tranformation occurs without legs pivoting downward to get out of the way an dthat teh arms actually slide back to clear the legs. To be honest, this was a welcome notion for me when animating a transformation cuz it required less motions to pull it off.

as for what transforms first, Doesn't really matter to me as long as it looks correct since one thing going before the other does not appear to have any significance unless it's blocking the transformation path of something else.

After talking to DOK, he tells me that the Macross design works staes that the tranformation occurs without legs pivoting downward to get out of the way an dthat teh arms actually slide back to clear the legs. To be honest, this was a welcome notion for me when animating a transformation cuz it required less motions to pull it off.

Page 036, (un-numbered) steps 6,7 & 8.

Unless it says something in Japanese which I am not aware of (and DOK [who's DOK?] translated), this aspect is clearly shown as a part of the transformation from fighter to GERWALK.

It's true that this bit of the transformation is never actually seen in the series or movie, but it does seem to be an actual step in the transformation process. I just thought it would be neat to see what the transformation is actually supposed to look like, but was never animated.

When I first animated this thing, I did some of the hip pivot just to clear room for the arms. Here's an older animation from about a half year ago. As you can see, I had to move the hips out quite a bit in order for the arms to fold out. not sure if the DW shows that much of a displacement but that's what I had to do for clearance.

I'd love to see a scan as I don't have the design works myself.

vf_1s_trans.mpg

• 2 weeks later...

Even though it's not technically accurate, I prefer the transformation without swinging the legs forward. Fewer motions and it gives less chance/time for the VF-1 to be in a vulnerable position.

Dat: Sweet texture. Now hurry up and get us some battroid mode shots! :)