Valk size comparison...

John Busacha

Ok, one of my favorites. The VF-2SS SAP scanned from the TIA Macross II book. You will notice that the front and rear views are unside-down. :blink: Oh well. I have a much higher resolution copy, if someone has the time and skills to clean it up.

post-5-1063970663_thumb.jpg

And for here is the VF-19S. I appologize, I thought I did have line-only diagrams of this valk, but this is the best I have, apparently. Again, I have much higher resolution versions available. For both of these, I just ask that I get a copy of any work done with either of these (tough-ups, mods, etc.) I hope these are useful. I can't find my VF-19Kai instructions at the moment.

post-5-1063971596_thumb.jpg

Jedi Knight

If you can provide bigger or higher resolution scans even better. Especially the VF-19S...its very hard to make up some of the panel lines. Looks like i will have to trace the VF-19S but the VF-2 should be not so hard.

Yes i will give credit to you for supplying the scans and will rpovide templates for your own color schemes if you want.

I don't mind posting larger versions, but be warned (for the connection-challenged), they are much larger. I am at work now, so I will post them in a few hours.

Edited by Jedi Knight

In this image can be appreciated the size of the main fighters in mode battroid. The VF-11 is the small brother. :lol:

post-5-1064030492_thumb.jpg

Edited by joseph

The production VF-19 variants took some time to grow on me, but now I really do like the -19S variant. The YF-19 prototype is still my favorite though.

By the way, how is the project progessing John Busacha? Any new updates, additions, or modifications?

Let's see, to date I have the following orthos...

F-14

VF-0S

Cats Eye

Fan Jet (Hikaru Type)

Fan Liner

F-203 Dragon II

VF-1A

VF-1J

VF-1D

VF-1S

VF-1(x) Super

VF-1(x) Strike

VF-1R (I'm not sure if this is canon)

VT-1

VE-1

VA-3

VF-4

VF-9

VF-11

VF-17

YF-19

VF-19A

YF-21

VF-22S

VF-3000

VF-5000

VF-2SS

I made my own Dragon II, tell me what you think... ...it's based off of the 1/72 Tanman (sp?) resin model.

post-5-1064315249_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Busacha

Hikaru,

I don't have the Tanmen kit for the Dragon II, I used a pic from his website for the reference. It's not very accurate, but I thought it was close enough...

I like your version though!

Oh by the way, I have RT:BC and this version of the VF-1R is not the same one as in the game. That's why I was confused. (Not that RT:BC is all that accurate... ...I have all sorts of issues with that damn game.)

Edited by John Busacha

Oh by the way, I have RT:BC and this version of the VF-1R is not the same one as in the game. That's why I was confused. (Not that RT:BC is all that accurate... ...I have all sorts of issues with that damn game.)

The VF1R is a Macross 2 timeline only VF. Its pretty much a VF1 slightly altered to be able to use fast packs in atmosphere.

Perhaps by asking some of MWs resident Macross 2 fans, you might be able to get pictures of it. As far as I know... it was only featured in a video game.

I always thought that the VF-1s were about the size, if not, bigger than an F-15E Strike Eagle. Because that plane is one big mofo, any bigger and it'd be a bomber. And that VF-1R from Battlecry sucks! Game is pretty fun though, solid shooter all the way. Right now I'm trying to make an F-15 into a VF-15, but I need a freaking VF-1 toy to see the mechanics, the transformation of the VF-0 from Macross Zero part 1 helped some when watching the fighter to Battroid sequence. How tall is a VF-0 Battroid (American units of measurment) when compared to a VF-1 in Battroid mode?

Edited by Macross_Fanboy

Hey everybody, for in-depth data on present day aircraft go to the homepage of the Federation of American Scientists. Just enter the aircraft designation in the search box and you will get all the publicly available info there is.

Also, I already have a mecha size comparison chart I got from a friend of mine. I don't have it here, I will post it as soon as I get to my other computer, maybe it can help...

-Burn

Just a quick note FYI:

The F-15 is an F-15A, though not as-built, but yet not as they are currently. 80's-ish IMHO.

F-16 is an F-16A, very very early (block 5). Not in use anymore. 1979+ (but we got rid of them as fast as possible) All other F-16's have large h.stabs (F-16A block 10 and later, the vast majority of F-16A's), and F-16C/D's have the larger fin.

F-18 isn't really an F-18. That's an F-18 prototype. (Though not a YF-17). Probably "F-18" demonstrator #1, possibly #2. (#3 introduced some changes). Wings/h.stabs (and I think v.stabs, though that may be a -17 to -18 difference, not 18 demo to 18 prod difference) are different on real F-18's. This could affect the scale for drawings, as the h.stabs determine the overall length of an F-18. (I'd have to really look to see exactly where the changes were, I don't know if it was leading edge, trailing edge, or both(

Mainly, most C models upgraded to a new engine... can't remember which.. but the nozzle is visibly different. They also enlarged the intake ducting for the newer engine, and enlarged the base of the tail, making it wider to hold more stuff, and longer, and added a small fin-like antenna to the leading edge of it.

Edit: k, this link pretty much sums it all up: http://www.f-16.net/reference/versions/f16_cd50.html

Edited by Chronocidal

The engine change is not guaranteed, nor is the intake. SOME C's have GE engines, and SOME of the ones with GE engines have new intakes. This is why we say things like "Small-mouth F-16C Block 30" to indicate a GE-powered one with the original small intake.

The rule is:

Block 25's have PW engines. (Block 25A through 25D)

Block 30's have GE. (30A through 30D)

Block 32 has PW

Block 40 has GE

Block 42 has PW

Block 50 has GE

Block 52 has PW

(F-16A's are from Block 5 to 20, all have PW)

Now, for intakes. Generally, most GE-powered F-16C's have the new bigger intake. However, those F-16C's from sub-blocks 30A and 30B do not. This includes all the F-16C's that are ex-MacDill AFB (which is a big chunk, since that was the main F-16 training base).

So how to tell an F-16A from F-16C? Bigger fin base. The base of the fin extends farther forward, quite a bit. It also ALWAYS has a small blade antenna on it. Will post pics later when I find them. (Busy this afternoon)

Quick guide: the leading edge of the fin's base only goes forward to the leading edge of the flaperons on an F-16A, while it extends forward all the way to the mid-point of the wing on an F-16C. Looking from above is the best way to "learn" what the 2 types look like.

::edit:: that link above only describes F-16C Block 50/52 vs Block 40/42, not the overall difference between an A and a C

Edited by David Hingtgen

Alright, with the exception of the F-15, F-16 and F-18 (I want to make sure that I have the most modern profiles) I have just about all of the orthos I need to begin constructing a viable "size comparison". My question to my fellow MW'ers, What/How should I construct such an image? What do you guys want to see? My biggest problem right now is that there are so many aircraft that anything fairly large will be HUGE! If you have seen the test comparison I did on about page 1 or 2 (can't remember now) that's the style I was going for... ...kind of a semi technical representation...

Any suggestions?

Oh, and if there is anything else you would like on the image for size reference, or additional aircraft, please let me know....

Whoops... yep, you're right that is just about the later differences.. oh well.. that explains why you see so many C model tails with the old engine.. I think the Thunderbirds still use the old engine, or they did the last time I saw them fly (which was a while ago), as does the airbase near my home, so that would explain that. :) David, I'm guessing you work with aircraft in some way? Either that, or you've got an incredible memory for aircraft trivia. ;)