Valk size comparison...

John Busacha

Alright,

I want to assemble a wallpaper showing the side view of all valks (in perfect scale). I have a few blanks of some VF models that have been floating around the boards, but I am well short of having a comlete inventory of all Valks. Between all of us, I have to imagine that we could assemble a complete catalog of at LEAST the side views... ...any helpers out there?

Thanks,

John Busacha

I posted a scan on the old board of a comparison of all the major valks. Phyrox also put together a wallpaper that had destroids and valks in scale with each otehr. But it would be a cool project. I'll look for the scan later today.

Thanks Exo!

I was thinking that the end result would look like a "Planes of the World" Type wallpaper. Perhaps the destroids and meltran / zentran mecha would all fall in line as well...

My plan is to give them all a generic "CF" paint scheme, or something...

I have a few of garoquel's (sp?) blanks (they are beautiful by the way) and I was going to use those to start... I think I have a VF-1, VF-1 Strike, VF-1 Super, VT-1, and VE-1 blank... I'll have to check.

Think Nanashi would help with this project? I know that he works very hard at the info on his web page...

Hey John here's the thread where I posted the different sizes of the valks:

archived thread

Tomcat:

Wing span: 19.54 m

Length overall: 18.90 m

Height overall: 4.88 m

VF-1

Wing span: 14.78 m (open) 8.25 (swept)

Length overall: 14.23 m

Height overall: 3.84 m

VF-4

Wing span: 14.28 m

Length overall: 14.92 m

Height overall: 3.72 m

VF-11

Wing span: 11.2 m

Length overall: 15.51 m

Height overall: 3.49 m

VF-17D

Wing span: 14.18 m

Length overall: 15.63 m

Height overall: 3.68 m

YF-19

Wing span: 14.87 m

Length overall: 18.62 m

Height overall: 3.94 m

YF-21

Wing span: 15.36 m

Length overall: 19.62 m

Height overall: 4.04 m

And here's the pic I was talking about:

I'm still not sure if it's in scale, maybe someone can read and translate it for us...

post-9-07357-vfscale_maybe.jpg

Edited by >EXO<

I've got that pic too, and it's out of scale. -19's are HUGE compared to -1's. Watch M7, you'll see just about everything compared to everything.

PS--Tomcat is an extraordinarily large and oddly-shaped fighter. F-16/18's make for better "normal plane" comparisons.

Yeah, the VF-17D is suppose to be shorter than the VF-11. But in the pic they are almost the same size.

The F-14 was in there because the previous thread asked for a comparison against it IIRC. Besides, the VF-1 is forever going to be compared to the F-14. And the fact that it's in Zero merits it's entry along with the other VFs.

Again, sorry about the whole Nanashi deal... ...at the time of my first post I didn't realize the events that were transpiring elsewhere...

I have the upmost respect for the work that Nanashi does... ...and with that the matter is closed.

...thanks for the info guys, I'll get on this shortly. The only way I can think to do this correctly would be to take that image and scale the planes based on pixal count, doing a conversion based on the stats that EXO posted... ...I'll have to do the math later, but I would have to assume that if the lengths were scaled correctly (assuming that the plane are drawn correctly) everything else will fall into line. In lieu of doing a specific paint scheme for each fighter, I may just do a silhoutte (black on white) comparison... kinda like those old WWII plane ID charts....

With my limited computer graphics experience that would be the only way to make it look half way decent....

I will throw in the F14 (for that M0 feel) just for S&G's...

I'm off to play some golf (rough life), see you tomorrow...... :D

I can't wait to see how this project turns out. I would love to help any way I can, as I am a huge fan of schematic/orthographic pictures. For the VF-), this is the best, and only, that I have come across so far. Unfortunately, no complete side view. http://www.blackaces.com.sg/wf2003s/wf2003s_pg11.htm

Maybe there are some pics in those hobby/model magazines.

Anyway, I will be following this topic VERY closely.

Hey David:

Do you have a decent side view of the F-14 version in Macross 0? I'm not exactly sure what version (A, D, and so on...) that is. I'm sure they are all pretty much the same with some minor exceptions...

...things are progressing, I may ask for some of you better artists to make these look pretty when I'm done...

Thanks,

JB

Edited by John Busacha

Thanks for the images!

I've been a little busy, so I haven't had time to improve the base image I posted a few days ago. I am going to add the prover designations and dimensions to the image, and make it a little more "wall-paperish". Hellohikaru... That image you posted of the F-14 was much better than the one I had, I'll update it when I get a chance, I'll add the MiG-29A as well... ...still looking for the VF-0 and and other images (anyone have the Konig Monster in bomber mode?) I also want to add some other enemy mecha as well... ..perhaps the zent fighter pod or a glaug or two...

In any case I will get on it as soon as I have the time to spare...

-JB

A friend of mine said he wanted me to give you this, John Busacha.^^

His name is Luis Venegas.

Here his address where you can thank him for the images:

mailto:neosandrockkai@hotmail.com

Here's his image. Don't ask why he sent me - he saids he has no time to sign up as a member for this forum.^^

Thank him!

post-5-1063400053_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptRico

Hellohikaru...

Hey, I found the Hase instruction sheets for the VF-22S and the VF-19A at that same site (www.1999.co.jp ). Thanks for the info, the scans of the instruction sheets were top notch! I think I will modify my wall paper to include the standard production fighters instead of the testing variants... ...although I don't believe the YF / VF -19 look different at all........

On a side note,

Just looking at the orthos of the VF-0 and the VF-1 it becomes very apparent how much of a difference there is between the two... ...the VF-1 looks much like it would be a much more nimble aircraft....

See the sheet for the VF-22S below.......

post-5-1063816252_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Busacha

John Busasha

Looking good....glad you were able to find the VF-19 and VF-22. Actually the VF-11 sideview is supposed to be that of a VF-11B, the A model had a shorter anti-aircraft laser. VF-0S actually since that is Roy's version.

yup....the YF-19 was very similar to the VF-19A series. But the second generation VF-19s(F, P, S) are very different indeed. I doubt there are any proper drawings for sideview outthere.

Now we need to look for the VF-9 Cutlass II :D

btw may i ask how did you get them to match in the correct size ?

Edited by hellohikaru

Hellohikaru...

To get the images to scale I had to create a "box" around each aircraft at it's shown limits. After drawing this box, I cut the image out along the new limits to get the exact size of the aircraft... ...pasting the cut image into a new file @ the exact same size... looking at the image attributes to determine the size (i.e. 827 pixels x 67 pixels for example) I used a direct proportion to the listed size of the aircraft. In other words, lets say the image is 827 pixels long and the aircract in real life is 18.5 meters long... so divide 18.50 X 100 (to get it into a "pixel" measurement) by 827... this gives you a ratio to enlarge the image by to get it in a direct scale (in this example the image size has to be increased by 224%)... of course the new image tends to be huge so after it has been scaled I reduce it to 25% of its original size. The problem I have is working within the limits of my software knowledge. MS Paint tends to generate rough (pixelated) images that I haven't been able to fix. I'm playing around with ARCsoft to come up with better images, but I'm still learning. I would really like to use full line drawings in the future, but at this point they turn out far to crappy..... ...thats it....

I'll add anything that I can get my paws on. The problem is getting "accurate" side views... ...If you can post any line art here, I'll see what I can do. By the way, anyone have the Cats Eye or the Dragon II in ortho? those would be cool to add as well. I think I'm going to have to shrink everything down further so that I can get more valks on the same image without it getting out of hand.