Macross Script

capezio11

get macross, i don't know what you hope to learn from the script, but macross is nice and superior storywise, it's cut better, its in japanise ( :-) ) and it doesn't have 2 other anime spliced into it.

dunno what ova means, sorry

OAV mean original animation video, same as OVA - original video animation. It means its a short story, 4-13 parts long, that companies want to rip off the Japanese audience by making them pay alot instead of airing it on TV for free. ;)

btw, there is a "newbie" thread in this section. Feel free to leave such questions there.

Its been 20 years since I saw RT and I've never seen Macross so I was curious as to how it was changed. I've read up on it recently but there is nothing like seeing for yourself (err or reading for yourself before buying?). I understand the story is darker overall with more adult themes but that doesn't tell me much.

I'm just now finding out that RT was taken from Macross, so for the last two decades I have been blissfully unaware of this plagarism and bastardization of two other series to make RT. This is like finding out your wife of twenty years isn't who she said she was, and that in fact she is a transsexual from Canada who happened to meet you while on the run from the law and is still wanted in three states. (no offense to transsexuals or Canada I like you both....in a very platonic way)

Anyway the point is you still can't just errase those twenty years! I need to find out if I'm ready to face the truth or if I'd rather stick with my fond childhood memories. Kinda like that guy in the Matrix...you know the one that wants back in even though he knows its a lie.

So do you know of a text copy of the subtitles on the net? I guess what I really want would be a transcript of the subtitles from the DVDs???

Edit: forgot about the OVA thing. The follow-ups to Macross sometimes are referred to not as a movie or series but an OVA (I think) like the one Do You Remeber Love? So I wanted to know what that acronym meant.

Edited by capezio11

I just doubt it - there is no reason for anyone to transcribe it in the first place. If there was not a quality sub version of it out already, then a fansubber would consider it to get more people interested in it. There may be some in a foreign language, but none in English.

Most of the people on this board, about 50%, started off growing up on RT as well, and many of those have found to enjoy both. If you got the money, you could buy both the whole RT: Macross Saga and the first few disc of the original series. If not, well, its your money, buy what you know you'll enjoy.

Well, I started watching anime with Macross in 84. It's Robotech that kinda anchored it in (if it wasn't already). If you read the whole history of how Robotech came to be, you'd know that it really wasn't done intentionally. But they wanted to air it on t.v. and couldn't do so without a certain number of episodes. That's why the other two series were moved into the original Macross series and done (IMHO) in a very interesting and groundbreaking way. If they had their say so, HG would've put the original Macross on way back in the day.

My advice, get acquainted with what you know. Then once you feel you've revisited your past and want to know more, check out everything Macross has done over the past 20 years. You don't have to hate one and love the other. I'm one of the biggest fans of both, just like many, if not, all here. :)

Edit: Wow, this is funny that 20 years later, my last paragraph here would not age that well. I now wish Robotech would disappear. LOL. Hindsight is always 20/20, and learning how people act and how HG works didn't help keep that same interest for both.

Edited by Jasonc

Back when I was still fansubbing, I found scripts for episodes 1-4, but no more were ever done. They're out there, but I don't know where.

But suffice it to say, if you buy/rent the Animeigo DVDs and give the original Macross a shot, you won't be disapointed :)

Edit: forgot about the OVA thing. The follow-ups to Macross sometimes are referred to not as a movie or series but an OVA (I think) like the one Do You Remeber Love? So I wanted to know what that acronym meant.

Welcome to the boards - you may want to check out this site -

Lebhead's Guide to Macross/Robotech for beginners

It has a ton of info for folks just figuing out the Macross/Robotech thing.

And go get the DVDs for Macross... I think you'd like it. We all do.

If you can't afford the legit releases, there are other/cheaper options out there.

Its been 20 years since I saw RT and I've never seen Macross so I was curious as to how it was changed. I've read up on it recently but there is nothing like seeing for yourself (err or reading for yourself before buying?). I understand the story is darker overall with more adult themes but that doesn't tell me much.

I'm just now finding out that RT was taken from Macross, so for the last two decades I have been blissfully unaware of this plagarism and bastardization of two other series to make RT. This is like finding out your wife of twenty years isn't who she said she was, and that in fact she is a transsexual from Canada who happened to meet you while on the run from the law and is still wanted in three states. (no offense to transsexuals or Canada I like you both....in a very platonic way)

Anyway the point is you still can't just errase those twenty years! I need to find out if I'm ready to face the truth or if I'd rather stick with my fond childhood memories. Kinda like that guy in the Matrix...you know the one that wants back in even though he knows its a lie.

I was there once. I remember watching Robotech as a kid on TV in the mornings.

Robotech isn't NEAR as good as you remember. Believe me.

And Macross is FAR superior, even from a non-political viewpoint*. It's more cleanly written, somewhat lacking in plotholes compared to Robotech, and is just in general higher-quality(Minmay has far more songs, for one, so none of them get really old really quick).

Macross also has some really good lines that got squished out of RT because they were inappropriate, along with parts of the animation. Or lines that just got mangled during the translation/adaptation.

Get Macross.

If you're still feeling the tug of nostalgia, THEN you can look into getting Robotech. I'd recommend finding a place that rents it first, just to see if you still actually WANT to watch it.

*A lot of people dislike Robotech not just for what it is, but for the behavior of the company that made it towards the fans that support it. This isn't really the place for those debates, though. See the legal debate thread in "other anime and sci-fi" for a better idea of that.

OAV mean original animation video, same as OVA - original video animation. It means its a short story, 4-13 parts long, that companies want to rip off the Japanese audience by making them pay alot instead of airing it on TV for free. ;)

Not necessarily short; Galactic Heroes ran for about 164 episodes as an OVA series. Also, OVAs tend to have bigger budgets than TV series, which translates into higher quality animation.