Looking for a good anime series

Okay, its been some time since I last DL'd any anime and I need a good fix. Generally speaking I prefer serious anime with emphasis on plot and charactor development, afterwards comedic drama, like trigun and Kenshin.

So give me some suggestions folk, yes I know a topic like this pops up every month but hey its good for us, keeps us informed of whats out there :p

Saikano a very depressing war time thing this show IS about the characters.

Now and then Here and there as said before is must like the above except don't let the animation turn you off it is one great show.

I just finished Wolf's Rain the other night and it seemed rather serious and character driven (though the ending was not very good)

One Piece- A great show (LONG though) has the best combination of humour, tragedy and kick ass fighting.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig

The first impressed me with depth in the story and I fell in love with the spider tanks called Tachikoma, I must get one if robot technology in Japan is advanced enough to build an actual sentient one. :p

There is even a Tachikoma Special available, mini episodes of these funny cute tanks.

Just watched the first season of 26 episodes within two weeks (massive downloads), now awaiting more of the 2nd.

Edited by Wabbit

Crest of the Stars and sequels. Great shows.....

Yeap I second that. A 4th installment is in the works....from rumours.

I second Saikano and N&T,H&T as well.

Gunslinger Girl is very nice, if you don't mind the cute lil girls with guns.

And for some F***ed up crap....you can watch Narutaru, FLCL, and Lain

Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu (and the "deluxe" OAVs)

Emphasis on comedy, but there are some drama moments here and there, I couldn't stop watching it and now I have the entire series.

You have Guu Final as well?

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig

Anyone have the bootlegs? Are they worth it? In general, if the subs are 50-75% accurate, I can take it. DLing isn't an option for me as I'm still on 56k dial-up. :(

Planetes. Even if Areaseven's review doesn't talk fondly of it (his only review which I thought was DEAD wrong, heck, the only one I thought he was wrong), it's a GREAT character driven series (with cool, realistic and functional mecha and double the standard framerate).

It's a story about the day to day basis of the members of the Half Section,

The Half Section is the responsable of removing any piece of space debris that may cross it's orbital way so it won't blow out of the sky useful satelites and manned spacecraft. In other words, they are the trashmen, the Debris Section of Technora Corporation, starting from the introduction of it's newest member, Ai Tanabe, a extremely optimistic girl whose romantic notions of space are crushed by a diaper wearing, headbanded EVA worker.

Even the "episode characters" are given a whole workout. Chapter 10's Temura Poiter's (the guy that went up to sell his spacesuit model, if I remember the name correctly) story it's the most bittersweet tale of victory of not only one man, but a whole doomed community. Gigalde Gangalagash or Nono-chan are also good examples

Of course, there are some comedic events. Like the ninja squad rescue, Fee's "save the smoker pod" run and most scenes when Goro Hoshino is on.

Can't recommend it enough. After all, it's my second favorite anime, second only to Macross Plus

BTW, the Half in Half Section stands for almost anything, from Half-Staffed to Half-Assed...

Seconded on Witch Hunter Robin (the subbed version, not the CN one). It's absolutely fantastic. Great cast (Amon is one baaad man), superb animation, FANTASTIC plot, excellent music. It's all good, ya dig?

Edited by GreatMoose

Don't judge Gungrave by its first episode either, as after that it really comes into it's own.

Yeah....gungrave...its cool.

Thank God they didn't do the story like the game did.

Bear Walken eh...hehe.

Berserk, alot of charcter development and plot and of course violence and dark themes. Animation is rough in spots but it works here since Berserk is a rough and gritty show.

Witch Hunter Robin is decent. Sometimes I find it hard to believe Robin is 15 or so.

Good music. Decent cast of characters. Great looking character designs

12 Kingdoms. From what I've seen(10 episodes) its very heavy on charcacter development and plot.

Devil Lady. Something from Go Nagai actually worth watching...its dark, its heavy. It never lets up. Great cheezy horror music.

Bear Walken eh...hehe.

It's all about the bear! B))

12 Kingdoms. From what I've seen(10 episodes) its very heavy on charcacter development and plot.

12 Kingdoms is another fantastic anime that I can thoroughly recommend to anybody (especially those of you who enjoyed Fushigi Yugi), just wish I had more time to see it all :(

Edited by wakobi