Peter Jackson has cast the male lead of King Kong

IMDb report

Academy Award-winning producer-director Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King) has selected Jack Black (The School of Rock, Shallow Hal) to star opposite Naomi Watts in his remake of King Kong as the filmmaker-entrepreneur who captures the giant ape and brings him to New York as a freak-show attraction. The role was originally played by Robert Armstrong in the 1933 original and by Charles Grodin in the 1976 remake (although the character's name was changed and he became an oil executive).

Proof that you don't need to be good looking or in shape to be a leading man next to the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow and Naomi Watts. ;)

Meh, hurry up and finish so the Hobbit can be made.

I was never a big King Kong fan.

Unless they totally change the story, it will be lame... King Kong is a slow lame story that is not to pace with modern entertainment. Just not enought of a story, even senseless violence added in would make it better so I hope thats the plan.

I love Jack Black, but I can easily see why people don't. I get his humor and it makes me laugh. In others it just drives them nutty. How could anyone dislike the man who brought us such songs as Sasquatch with Tenacious D? Got me.

I'm not sure if I'd call his role the male lead, either. He's really the heel of the piece - at least he is in the 76 version w/ Jessica Lange - maybe this version will have a heroic male lead, like Jeff Bridges was in the 76 version.

Either way, Kong is really the male lead of the movie. And at least Jackson's remake looks like it'll be fun.

I only hope this version doesn't have a giant door built into the wall around the village. Why build a wall to keep Kong out but build a giant door in it? :blink: