List your most disappointing toys

Guppy

After another part fell off my PG eva-01 I got to thinking what toys I've bought over the years which I was really disappointed with. Not ones that you KNEW would be crap, like a Banpresto valk or a bootleg toy. Toys that you thought would rock but sucked.

Please share your stories of woe.

Mine are:

PG eva - bad detail, acidic rubber suit eats through plastic joins ( I found out over a year after I built it you should wash the rubber suit in soapy water but by then it was too late. <_< ) The whole chest section has fallen off due to that rubber suit .

Small Matchbox Sdf-1 toy http://www.menet.umn.edu/~ngo/sdf-1_mini.html - just didn't understand this one. What was with the floppy legs?

Matsamura Eva statue http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?KYD51117 - everything falls off, and it's balance is so bad it is impossible to stand up without serious modifications to the base.

Yamato Escaflowne - luckily I saw Sebastian's before I bought one. cheap and nasty looking plastic.

Love/Hate in Equal measures: the 1/12 Imai Blowsperior kit - beauiful sculpt, looks great in both modes, but so damn fragile if you breathe on it something will fall off.

My HP laptop. I had it for twenty minutes, and then it crashes. I had to reload the entire installation to recover...

That and Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness....

Yeah, I know, those aren't really toys... but then, I buy so few toys, I'm usually quite satisfied with what I do buy, so I can't much bitch.

that's easy...most of my star wars figs...damn some of them look cool in their packaging...then you get it out it's like I paid $8 for this? then it gets dumped in a box full of these...and the funny thing is...I keep repeating this! gawd when will I learn??

hyaku shiki diecast fig from bandai. small and heavy = cool...not all the time. figure is lose and I can't get him to get into those cool poses on the box for the life of me.

Justice League figures from mattel...it gets warm in my room in the summer. and because of the way these characters looked in the cartoon, their legs are all but twigs...hot plus thin pvc legs supporting big upper bodies=leans forward and eventually falls. blah cheap pvc.

can't believe I almost forgot this one...MPC VF-1J. THE most disappointed I've ever been with a toy. promised diecast-not present, flawless transformation-not exactly, looks good in at least one mode-no where close. but at least that LED in the eye made the entire head glow due to the semi transparent plastic.

leila figure by epoch. just a horrible looking figure. uglee, bad articulation as in you can't stand her up cuz her fee are bent outward, can barely stay on her mono-cycle.

that's all for now.

My HP laptop.  I had it for twenty minutes, and then it crashes.  I had to reload the entire installation to recover...

I've got a zt3000 and I love it... But I'm pretty anal about the way i install stuff, and what I put on it, so it runs in good shape.. that and the first thing I did when I bought my notebook was wipe out the HP installation, and installed a fresh installation off of my retail copy of windows XP Pro... then installed the necessary drivers.

Tomb Raider AOD *shudder*, that game was horrible. I couldn't control anything worth a darn. I had mastered the keyboard controls for the older Tomb Raider games and was quite happy with them.

Edited by soze

Good call on the craptacular mini SDF-1, Guppy. I still remember the sinking feeling I had when I first pulled it out of the styrofoam, and I mumbled "That's...it?"

I'd have to rate the Gakken 3" Ride Armor down there too. Here in Canada we didn't get the Matchbox repackaged Gakken toys, so it was a big deal to me when I found an original "Henshin Robo" Ride Armor at the Vancouver airport gift shop. Well, the euphoria started to wear off on the car ride home when I snapped the peg that held the beam rifle in Sticks hand. :(

All of my Armada Transformers. I rarely regret a purchase, but these...gah...I didn't buy any more Transformers for an entire year, until the Alternators came out.

Other than those, the rest of my toys are Valkyries. No dissapointments there, yet!

The most disapointing toys I have ever bought:

The "new" GI Joe 12" collector's figures that came out in the early '90s. God almightly those things were suck in a box. The fabric used in the clothes was terrible, the dolls themselves were all but posable (perminantly in that dopey "which way to the beach" pose) with hands that could barely hold a pencil let alone their accessories... ugh the accessories! They were all fugly deformed guns and lopsided helmets and other rubberized fakie gadgets and the like. Thank the stars that Hasbro went the way of BBI / Dragon / Ultimate Soldier and starting making decent 12" soldier dolls.

Anything with the word "McFarlane" on the package. Outside of a handful of decent toys most of the offerings from Mcfarlane back in "the day" were poorly assembled splatter painted statues. Yeah they looked ok in the package but take them out and in a matter of days the arms break off, the weapons which are made of cheap rubber-like material start to droop like melting snowmen and the accessories (like capes and such) are perminantly molded to their "in the package" shape that they don't look good out of the package. I have not owned a CrapFarlane toy in years to know if they fixed those issues or not, but every one I ever bought let me down soooo bad.

My HP laptop.  I had it for twenty minutes, and then it crashes.  I had to reload the entire installation to recover...

I've got a zt3000 and I love it... But I'm pretty anal about the way i install stuff, and what I put on it, so it runs in good shape.. that and the first thing I did when I bought my notebook was wipe out the HP installation, and installed a fresh installation off of my retail copy of windows XP Pro... then installed the necessary drivers.

I really wanted to do that, but I couldn't figure out how to get my DVD player to continue to play movies, so.... I held off.

that's easy...most of my star wars figs...damn some of them look cool in their packaging...then you get it out it's like I paid $8 for this?  then it gets dumped in a box full of these...and the funny thing is...I keep repeating this!  gawd when will I learn??

Hahaha, the same could be said for the Yamato 1/60 VF-1s. After the hugely disappointing DYRL Hikaru 1A (come on... they did perfect transformation for the Macross Plus ones, there's no excuse to pull this leg swap stunt) I should have stopped, but it took me until the Super 1J before I told myself enough is too much.

Edit in:

Not to mention one of the legs refuses to lock into position for Gerwalk mode. Talk about crappy QA...

Edited by Jolly Rogers

PG Eva-01 for me is my #1 dud. Very disappointing. I damn near broke the rubber suit trying to get it on, till I found out talc did the job ok. Don't know if that was good for it in the ling term though. It is now in a box.

After that, the YF-21FP for it's color. loose backpack, and crappy fast packs. Acceptable in fighter mode without the fast packs however, it is sleek as it should be that way.

MG Hyaku-shiki. Not very posable and kind of fragile (seems so to me at least by comparison to the other MG's I have)

Kado Senshi Zeta Gundam. Nicely detailed, but very little posability.

My HP DVD-Writer 300i is a piece of crap. Had to get it replaced once already, when it gives me headaches again I'm moving to a beloved Plextor.

I actually rather like my Escaflowne. Especially for 50 bucks it rocks in regards to price/performance ratio.

I find it disappointing that there hasn't been any quality Cowboy Bebop figures. I remember Medicom released a Spike Spiegel figure (based off the Knocking On Heavens Door movie). I wonder why they didn't release the entire crew.....how disappointing. :angry:

post-26-1080099880_thumb.jpg

can't believe I almost forgot this one...MPC VF-1J. THE most disappointed I've ever been with a toy. promised diecast-not present, flawless transformation-not exactly, looks good in at least one mode-no where close. but at least that LED in the eye made the entire head glow due to the semi transparent plastic.

I only paid 15 dollars for mine so it was worth teh money.

Dissapointing toy is my MP5K PDW airsoft gun. paid 450 for it before any real airsoft retailers were around. It is a money pit.

I know there are more crappy toys I cant think of but not right now.

Here are some:

The worst of late is the Yamato Escaflowne. What piece a crap after all that waiting. Guymelef mode is a floppy mess. Too hard to transform.

Most McFarlane toys. They look great in the package but once they are out they turn to crap. Some of my Spawn figures just fell apart over time. My NASCAR figures will stay in their packages.

The 12 inch Vampire Hunter D doll from Kotobuikya. The 1/10 action figure was cool. The 12 inch version should have been made like the action figure. Instead its in a pleather(fake leather) outfit with no detail or sculpt. The forearms/hands and calves/feet just push on over the outfit.

The first version of the medicom Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop doll. Just junk. Goofy looking oversized head Can't stand. Hands are too big and gangly.

But on the otherside. The 18 inch Spider-Man figure is awesome. Probably my best purchase for the money(24.99) in awhile. The Gungrave figure is a great action figure too just a little expensive (40.00-50.00).

Edited by dejr8bud

of the ones i've opened -

kubrick eva figures - kind of cute. i have no idea what i was smoking when i bought them though..should have saved my money

the mcfarlane gestalt figure - cant remember what they were called but you had 6 of these really cool looking guys that form a giant bad ass figure. yeah great in theory. HOW THE HELL DO YOU PUT IT TOGETHER??? back to wal-mart that piece of crappy plastic went.

the limited edition soft vinyl prime figure by medicom - it was rare. it was prime. i had to have it. huge disappointment for what i paid for it :| you even have to trim the gun from the excess vinyl molding

some black giant robot (maizinger? i dunno). thing toppled over when i put the giant sword in his hand. his hand cracked :(

the yf-11b (crappy hips)

the 1/60 any valk (too floppy)

at the end of the day i can always go back to my lego kits. super high quality each time, every time. no surprises there.

that 1/6300 sdf-1 was definitely disappointing, as were any of the original matchbox robotech toys (the ones first made by matchbox, not repackaged ones).

these dell inspiron notebooks like a year and a half ago - they would just randomly freeze up

any 1/60 yamato

the 1/100 bandais/takatoku valks

Anything with the word "McFarlane" on the package. Outside of a handful of decent toys most of the offerings from Mcfarlane back in "the day" were poorly assembled splatter painted statues. Yeah they looked ok in the package but take them out and in a matter of days the arms break off, the weapons which are made of cheap rubber-like material start to droop like melting snowmen and the accessories (like capes and such) are perminantly molded to their "in the package" shape that they don't look good out of the package. I have not owned a CrapFarlane toy in years to know if they fixed those issues or not, but every one I ever bought let me down soooo bad.

Agreed... you covered just about everything I hate about every single McFarlane toy I've ever bought. It's the only toy brand I reccomend someone NEVER taking out of their package.

Another one was the 12" LotR figures... I bought Gandalf and was just completely shocked by how unbelievably crappy the fig was. I never bought another one. Total POS. Bad sculpt, bad costume, bad accessories, bad poseability. A true 0 out of 10.

I'll also add both 12" Star Wars collector's edition Chewbacca figures. The first was a furry plush toy with a core made of wire, apparently... the second was a big hunk of immobile plastic. Is Chewie really that hard for Hasbro to figure out?

o ring actrion attack venom vs valo storm shadow.-Man I thought I couldget over the aa since its storm shadowe but WTF he sucks~! Man if his right arm was NORMAL i could do without the o ring but NOOOOO its loose as hell too!

-amato VF11B-would b AWESEOM cept the legs broke POS

-Vf1A hikaru 1/60-floppy mess...like it but grrrrrrr

-MPC-VF1J-FLOPPY hoe...gesus cghrist how bn got better treatment on his toy is beyond me

-ronin warriors-good concept in mind but HOLY CRAP articulation sucks on these things!

-MISA Gundam 1.0-floppy mess as well.. first effort that SUCKED.

-DX RX-78 GP01FB-cant hold sabers almost at all and lacks something...

-RX78 MSIA garmor...lacks something and too stiff

-Armada starscream-if he had NORMAL arms he would rule but he doesnt

-armada cyclonus-too simple

-MSIA gundam epyon....some joints tight others loose

-Rockman X set with irregular zero...zero has armor that falls off too much, rckmans elbow joints tear BTW paid WAY too much!

-PS2...got something called DISC READ ERROR...POS!

Funny, so far no bad experience with my PG Eva... maybe because I NEVER touch it? he is just standing there in display.

Disappointing toys.

1) Yamato Escaflowne. it is CRAP. Is SO damn bad I took him out of the box just to put it back after 5 secs and thow it int the darkest corner of my closet.

2) Kotobuyika 1/144 FST Led Mirage action Figure. the most CRAPPY SHITTY PVC action figure with NO poseability, bad paint job, rubber looking piece of crap I had ever seen in my life, nice packaging tough.

3) hummmm lastly the VF 1 1/60 hickaru, the matt white paint was a dirt magnet.

I'd have to rate the Gakken 3" Ride Armor down there too. Here in Canada we didn't get the Matchbox repackaged Gakken toys, so it was a big deal to me when I found an original "Henshin Robo" Ride Armor at the Vancouver airport gift shop. Well, the euphoria started to wear off on the car ride home when I snapped the peg that held the beam rifle in Sticks hand.  :(

How could I forget my crappy little Gakken "Henshin Robo" Mospeada toys?!? I bought them all. I fought long and hard defending all comers to get these on ebay and they SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!

The min ride armor was sculpted by a blind, dead man and the mini alphas were designed and painted by his blind, dead, color blind brother.

Eternal D - I am the same. I have like 150 star wars figures all piled in a box in the cupboard. It looks like a mass grave! :D

Sebasitian - I was so disappointed with the Gerbera FIX. I wanted that for so long, and when I got it, you can't pose it at all and the damn arms and legs fall off.

Edited by Guppy

Sebasitian - I was so disappointed with the Gerbera FIX. I wanted that for so long, and when I got it, you can't pose it at all and the damn arms and legs fall off.

Armour's too restrictive, I agree, but only my Gerbera FIX hands are falling off.. I glued the forearm armour parts together, so that solved one problem.

The FIX line are posable models, not toys. Once I got that expectation correct, the FIX line is okay.

You guys want to know which FIX sucks? The Alex FIX. If you think the Gerbera arms fall off or can't pose properly, wait till you play with the Alex.

1/18 Enzo Ferrari by Hot Wheels. As a diecast enthusiast, I'm very disappointed with the way Mattel is producing their Ferrari replicas. Especially their version of the automaker's most expensive production car. The doors open like the real thing, but there is no locking mechanism to keep them open. The engine cover is made of plastic. Not only does it feel flimsy, it doesn't lock properly.

Sadly because of this, I can no longer buy Ferrari diecasts.

1/18 Enzo Ferrari by Hot Wheels. As a diecast enthusiast, I'm very disappointed with the way Mattel is producing their Ferrari replicas. Especially their version of the automaker's most expensive production car. The doors open like the real thing, but there is no locking mechanism to keep them open. The engine cover is made of plastic. Not only does it feel flimsy, it doesn't lock properly.

Sadly because of this, I can no longer buy Ferrari diecasts.

ferraris? screw that buy the batmobile...that thing is pretty freakin cool! :D

and there seems to be a lot of McF haters out there...I honestly like the ones with very limited to no poseablity figs as opposed to the poseable figures. they can't do poseable right...so STOP! just make me my cool super detailed nicely painted statues and keep em cheap so I can buy the 2 dozen that come out each year...and have doubles of most to open. ;)