Trendmaster's Jumbo Voltron III

Forget the Toynami Voltron III....

A friend of mine told me about this coming out a while back and have been mildly curious ever since. I saw one for a reasonable price on ebay and thought why not give it a try. I had no expectations, but was midly suprised by it's size and proportions. The sculpt is a lot better than I expected and comes w/ quite a few gimmicks (working lion cockpits, tons of projectiles to fire, etc)

Also below are size comparisons (vs Takara Masterpiece Prime, vs Standard GoLion, vs bootleg Jumbo Grade RX-78)

voltron1.JPG

voltron2.JPG

voltron3.JPG

voltron4.JPG

voltron5.JPG

so is there die cast metal in that big dood? And how much did you buy it for? Looks pretty cool. So this was released in american stores?

Been a while sense I seen one...these were out in America some time ago (about 4 years ago IIRC)...I still remember seeing them (and the simular sized version of the CG Voltron...Shadow Voltron? damn goofy looking, whatever it was called :p ) stacked up on the shelves at my local TRU ... course at the time I couldn't afford the price they were selling for ($50 IIRC), and by the time I could they were gone (only the fugly shadow remained :angry: )

ToyboxDX did a ramble on it, IIRC...and I also recall seeing a web site documenting the custom changes done inorder to make it look more correct (it does have a kinda short and husky deformed look compared to the smaller original toy)...also heard about an supposedly oversized, twice as large, bootleg of the toy :blink:

so is there die cast metal in that big dood? And how much did you buy it for? Looks pretty cool. So this was released in american stores?

As far as I can tell there is no diecast. However the quality of plastic is pretty good. The figure has a good amount of weight to it... with diecast you could probably use it as a doorstop. hehe I paid about $80 shipped for it and yes it was originally available in Toys R Us.

Wow...big NeoGeo fan eh?

Most definitely! It's one of my most favorite video game platforms of all time. I've got 2 cart systems (modified), a CD unit, neo pockets, 4 neo arcade machines, piles of collectibles and a bunch of ports.

Here's a pic from when I still had my XXL Voltron displayed... It dwarfs even the mighty DX T-28 and vinyl Red Baron. I've since rotated it off-shelf to create more space for incoming SOCs and other gokins.

irw_mid1.jpg

One thing to beware of: This is one HEAVY sucker! One time when I lifted the toy by the main body, one of the 'foot' lions came off by itself and landed on my toe. YOW!!!

Edited by drifand

Yep... the Trendmasters rereleases were top notch. Great quality, affordable price, etc...

And sadly, most of them went on discount fairly quickly... which is great for us cheapskates, but that put an end to their rereleasing rather quickly.

I prefer the smaller diecast Voltron next to it in the first picture... it only weighs about 3 tons... awesome. :)

Isn't this made from the same molds as the Galoob Voltron toys in the late 80's? It looks like it, and sounds like it from your description: no metal, opening cockpits, etc.

I think the one you are talking about is this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3&category=2492

Ugly, all plastic, and it's actually almost the same size as the Go-Lion one (just a little larger).