Gakken 1/35 Legioss/Alpha Repro Stickers

tom64ss

Well alright. As some of you may remember from the old boards, before it went down I was talking about making reproductions of the 1/35 Gakken Legioss/Alpha stickers. Well, since the MW boards were down, I posted a progress report over at Valkyrie-Exchange.com. Essentially, I'm too damn lazy to type over again so here's the cut and paste from over there:

Okay, Mary and I finally got to sit down and discuss this project and Rune was right, it is the Banner and Sign department that was just added recently.

They will be clear vinyl and pre-cut just like the originals. The stickers themself will be as close to the originals as she can get them. The backing wax paper among other small things will be different. I'm making these so people here (edit: and MW, of course) can have them for their own collections, not so it can be passed off as an original. She said she should be able to have the first samples within they next week or two, depending on her workload. I'll know how much it costs then.

A funny side note, she's a little hell bent on what the words actually say on the original stickers. You know, the really small ones, so she's blowing them up after scanning them just so she can read them.

edit 2: She showed me other projects she's done that were similar and they looked great. She says the colors could last five years with quite a bit of abuse.

Hopefully, I'll have more good news and the price by mid week, next week. As it comes closer to looking like they'll be completed, I will put up a new thread in "for sale" for accepting orders.

still no word on making any cyclone sticker sheets? That would be cool if you get those.  :D  :lol:  :)

She says if these turn out good and thing go off without a hitch, she'd definitely be interested in making other repros. If someone wants to loan them to me, I can ask her to start them after these are done.

Boy, it took no time at all to bury this on page three. :lol:

Anyways, we have proofs! (I can't believe how fast she is.)

This first one is just to show you what the proofs look like. As you can see, the font for "Henshin Robo" was altered. That part was only left in so we could tell the difference between the three kinds when they were done. Also, the bottom where it use to say "Gakken" and the model #s have been cropped too, since they weren't really nessecary.

The 2 tailfin tip stickers at the bottom right are a little off. Mary said she would've fixed it, but she really wanted to have something to show me last night. She's correcting those today.

Anyways, enough of my yapping, here they are the overview.

edit: Hey! there are "remove attachment" and "replace with new attachment" choices in the edit screen now. Cool. There was an overview here, but it was HUGE. I'll remove it so as not to screw over the dial-up people. Go further down the thread to see the normal sized pics.

Edited by tom64ss

Alright, I think I worked the kinks out, sorry about that last pic.

The first is of these three is an over view of what they look like.

The second and third are to give you an idea of how they're cut. You can see in the glare. That's why they're so blurry.

Overview:

post-25-1061655581.jpg

Cut out detail 1:

post-25-1061655535.jpg

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!! Money is extra tight this month but it don't matter. I have been waiting forever for someone to do quality repo's and I won't let the opportunity slip by. Tom65ss, if I somehow miss your thread when you start selling them, let me know.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!! Money is extra tight this month but it don't matter. I have been waiting forever for someone to do quality repo's and I won't let the opportunity slip by. Tom65ss, if I somehow miss your thread when you start selling them, let me know.

Don't worry, I'll make sure you get some. :D

Another update:

Took down the HUGE picture from before. It was a waste of bandwidth and I'm sure a total hassle for you dial-up people.

Dropped by to visit Mary last night. When I put the proofs on my blue 1/35, they were great, except two things:

1) The stuff printed in yellow was a bit to translucent and didn't look good at all when applied to color (blue, red green and grey). She said she'll put down a layer of white primer first and that should solve that problem. I'll let you know when I apply the finals. Other than that, the other color stickers looked great. It's hard to tell which are old and which are new except my old stickers were all starting to yellow.

2) The other problem is kind of good and bad. The vinyl WILL stretch if you aren't careful. In other words, you'll have to be very sure that you're putting in the right place the first time, because peeling them back up may ruin them. I'd also suggest they be applied in an air conditioned/cool room. The heat makes the vinyl a little stretchier. One good thing about the stretchiness though is it make the sticker sit much flusher than originals. For those of you who had originals, you'll know that the originals were known for peeling off the tailfins, the front wings, and generally any part that saw any wear and tear. Well, these repros shouldn't have that problem. The other really cool thing about the stretchiness is that after you apply the sticker, you can go over the panel lines underneath with you finger nail and it'll bring it out, but if you want it to look original, just don't do that step and you'll never be able to tell.

I wish I had pictures of my blue 1/35 with the new stickers, it looks so much better, but I've been borrowing a digi-camera from my boss and had to return it to him before he went on vacation.

One thing I have to warn people about is that the Gakken 1/35s came with some stickers pre-applied. The black and yellow ones in the crevices of the shoulder and knees and the cycle sticker on the chest were SOME of the pre-applied ones and since they're not on the original sticker sheets, I will not be able to repro them. I just wanted to warn everybody early so nobody goes stripping every sticker off their 1/35, anticipating my repros, only to realize that some won't be replaceable.

The other reason to leave them on until you actually have these in your hands is that even though I will include photocopies of the original application charts, there are no numbers printed on the repros, so where your original sticker are may be the only useable reference for where some stickers go, especially the smaller ones.

Sorry these are taking a while, but the process she has to go through to make these is long and tedious. Especially the pre-cuts. Alot of the work is hand-done (well, a stylus and computer) and some of the things that need to be redrawn are a little tricky. That's why the "Henshin Robo" at the top is in a different font. (anyone ever notice the "s" in Henshin was a backwards "2") She assured me though, that stickers themselves are as accurate to the originals as humanly possible.

Anyways, Mary said all three sets should be done by next weekend (9/5-9/7).

She said she would've been able to have them done this Saturday, but she had a prior job making some "freak show" posters for a festival this weekend.

Oh boy, I can't wait. :D

Oh, one more thing. The proofs you see above are not a complete set. There's about 2 or 3 stickers that she hadn't finished but don't worry, she knows all about them. She just wanted to have something to show me last Friday.

She wanted to make sure I didn't think they looked like crap. :blink:

Yeah, I'm serious, that's how much of a perfectionist she is. :)

I just wanted to bring this thread to the top of the page....

The stickers look GREAT Tom! I look forward to getting a few sets.

Thanks again for putting this together, and huge thanks to Mary for doing such a great job! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Wow guys, thaks for bumping this for me. :D

Mary's been really busy the last three weeks, so I haven't really seen her too much. I'll probably see her tonight, and hopefully have a real update for everyone by the end of this weekend.

Thanks for all the support guys.

Tom :)

Well alright...

First and foremost, Mary wants to apologize to everyone whose been waiting on these for the delay of the finished product. The last two weeks, she's been helping her parents move out of the house they lived in for 22 years. She thought it wouldn't take more than a week, but as anyone who has moved recently can tell you, after a long stretch at the same place, you forget how much crap you accumulate over the years. :lol:

Anyways, she says she's putting the finishing touches on them and they should be ready very soon. I not going to take orders or accepting money until I actually have them in my hands. Hopefully by this weekend, I can have some pics of the finished sheets and what they look like on my Gakken.

Thanks to everyone for being so patient. :)

Woowww! I missed this thread! I have three peeling gakkens!

Funny thing is, I have a sheet of untouched decals.. I could never bring myself to use them. :rolleyes:

Is there any word on the price or did I miss it?

PS - Jawjaw.. if you read this, can you answer me, is your avatar from the Captain Commando coin-op game? :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your patience, I was really hoping to have these ready by now, but since I'm not the one with the skills, I'm pretty much at the mercy of Mary's work load. Trust me, I want some of these as bad as any of you.

I looked a some near completed sheets last week. All the art is finally done, but she is having trouble with the "crispness" of the lines, a problem we didn't have before we started primering the stickers first.

She told me on Saturday that she'd try and have as much done as possible this week.

Sorry for the slow updates, but there hasn't been that much to update.