Macross Compendium, Hacked?

Agent ONE

at one time there was an unofficial contest where you hacked a site, reported it to the contest personel, they verified that it was hacked by you and they tallied up the scores of many "hackers". they had to hack the site and replace the front page with "hacked by so-n-so"

the winner won something lame like "utlimate hacker" title or something... had my old ftp site hacked once... forgot and left "allow anonymous uploads" turned on <_< funny thing is they uploaded 3.3 gigs worth of MP3s... I deleted the crap and kept the rest for myself :D

Graham is probably the closest, its most likely a 13 year old script kiddie. The bane of true hackers everywhere. Real Hackers wish to learn about computers and networks. Crackers are the ones who cause the trouble breaking in systems and networks. Script Kiddies, are generally early to mid teens kids who have no real skills and rely upon pregenerated scripts to do the hacking for them.

Southcross, I think you might be thinking of some of the Hacker Contests setup by other hackers. These contests are designed to allow hackers to test their skills against a server or group of servers specifically provided for the hacker contest, and not just any old server on the web. Those script kiddies trying to hack into any old server, ala Macross Compendium, are just doing it to prove they are l33t, (Hacker slang for Elite.) What they are is a bloody pain in the arse. All that SK is going to do is brag to his online mates and earn himself some brownie points with them.

By the looks of things Egan is a smart operator and has everything backed up. If I were him I'd be adding all the latest security patches right now to deter this from happening again.

Jester your friendly Sys Admin says..............

1) Always back up data

and

2) Always apply the latest security patches to defeat loser script kiddies =)

Just noticed something. Now either that script kiddie is trying to frame someone else, or he is REALLY STUPID. He put his email address LOL

All you need do is contact the provider and get them to back trace his email logins.

Just noticed something. Now either that script kiddie is trying to frame someone else, or he is REALLY STUPID. He put his email address LOL

All you need do is contact the provider and get them to back trace his email logins.

probably just a public e-mail account like yahoo or msn