macross 7

akt_m

The way I see it, SDF started as a total parody in the conceptual stages, that ended up turning into something semi-serious and gritty, with humor injected in spots. That never meant that the final product wasn't to be taken seriously. You don't destroy earth as part of your plot line, show kids being vaped by zentradi gun blasts, all to gritty, ominous music, then tell your audience not to take the plot line seriously.

Mac 7's problem is that it does ask the viewer to take it seriously enough to buy the love-and-singing-and-speaker-pods-conquers-all plotline, asks us to take Basara's "enlightened" brattishness seriously enough to see past his jerkishness and empathise with the serious business of fighting the war his own way. Treat him as a deeper character than some kid with a gaudy valk and an attitude. Then shoves pink speaker boobs in our faces the next cut. That's what some folks have issues with.

Saying SDF isn't serious just because it has moments of levity is like saying Full Metal Jacket isn't a serious War Movie because the main character has "Born to Kill" scrawled on his helmet, and jokes about "meeting new cultures... and killing them."

-Al

I said TOO serious.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be taken seriously, just that they always tried to break it up with humor. The serious stuff was never allowed to just take the reins and run.

I actually like stories like that, come to think of it.

All my favorite tales have a pretty healthy mix of serious and comedy in them. Keeps things from getting bogged down in the drama.

JBO, I can see what you are saying about enjoying the silliness (or as some see it lameness) of M7, but keep in mind it is the sequel to some serious stuff, DYRL and Plus are heavy and also the most popular Macross works... Following those with a pansy-ass-fruit-show is an unreal letdown. It would be like making the Teletubies into a sequel for Scarface.

Say hello to my little purse!! :lol:

JBO, I can see what you are saying about enjoying the silliness (or as some see it lameness) of M7, but keep in mind it is the sequel to some serious stuff, DYRL and Plus are heavy and also the most popular Macross works... Following those with a pansy-ass-fruit-show is an unreal letdown. It would be like making the Teletubies into a sequel for Scarface.

Say hello to my little purse!! :lol:

That would be awsome just because it's so incredibly warped. :lol:

:ph34r:

I did not need that image... But back on topic, shows like Macross and Gundam that have a good number of spin-offs tend to branch off in different storytelling directions with each incarnation. Take G, X, and SEED for example in the Gundam franchise. One was silly and never tried to be anything else while another went for a good long drama. And the third one just went and killed half the main cast and cast humanity in the darkest light I have seen in a while. :blink:

It's the same with Macross SDF pioneered the franchise and most of the basic themes, while DYRL? refined it. Plus was one big Valkyrie fest and 7 was a light-hearted show that emphasised the power of feelings and culture.

Bottom line, even though they are in the same franchise/universe/what-have-you the different Macross spin-offs were really designed to tell their own story with the Macross universe as the backdrop. Each one wasn't meant to be held to the original or even a previous sequel that some tend to hold up as a holy grail. That's my oppinion at any rate.

If you want a rational internal to the Macross universe, I suggest this: Overtechnology is associated with the humanoid form. When you apply Overtechnology to a design task, you almost always end up with device capable of taking human form. Somehow its easier to create Overtechnology devices that have a human shape, than it is to NOT give them a human form. I see Overtechnology as a force which connects humans with their mecha. That's my rational.

I guess it's a way for the shows creators to give inanimate objects a human-like quality - a spirit or kami.

You are making it sound like Robotech's protoculture... :o

Well HG didn't pull their version of Protoculture completely out of thin air.

Somebody wanted to know why have humanoid transforming mecha in Macross. My answer is Overtechnology must work better in that form. It must "want" to take human shape.

BTW Macross didn't invent the term Protoculture either. It was coined by a Japanese primatologiest to describe what she saw happening with snow monkeys. They have some behaviors that they teach to their offspring - the first steps towards culture - hence Proto culture.

Cmon,

you know the hands are for max to fight Boldolza mano a mano

Seriously though... I suspect the hands can serve many purposes. its possible for the Battle7 to punch, move its weapon faster, but also for ease of replacement. The whole new macross project was designed to be moduar. Ships docking on other ships, specialized colony vessels, ect ect. Lets say that there is the need for quickly changing weapons... look what happened to the SDF-1 with the meltrandi fight... they shot off its Main gun and the thing was screwed. This way the Battle-7 can quickly replace a damage weapon, or upgrade it to a new one without an extensive rebuild. Hands may have been for stylistic purposes as well (would you rather see it with a plug in its hands.

Also many Capital ships in macross transform to some degree. The Algenix crusier, The Stealth ship from VFX-1. Almost all of the Crtitical Path Corporation Ships from VFX-2.. and so on.

Cmon,

you know the hands are for max to fight Boldolza mano a mano

Seriously though... I suspect the hands can serve many purposes. its possible for the Battle7 to punch, move its weapon faster, but also for ease of replacement. The whole new macross project was designed to be moduar. Ships docking on other ships, specialized colony vessels, ect ect. Lets say that there is the need for quickly changing weapons... look what happened to the SDF-1 with the meltrandi fight... they shot off its Main gun and the thing was screwed. This way the Battle-7 can quickly replace a damage weapon, or upgrade it to a new one without an extensive rebuild. Hands may have been for stylistic purposes as well (would you rather see it with a plug in its hands.

Also many Capital ships in macross transform to some degree. The Algenix crusier, The Stealth ship from VFX-1. Almost all of the Crtitical Path Corporation Ships from VFX-2.. and so on.

being hit with a ships main gun usualy messes up any ship even with ones with gunships. if the gunship gets damages good thing to say the ship holding it will get good amount of collateral damage from the flying derby or the gunship blowing up in its hand.