Glue for broken Chogokin VF-1J?

rocketblast

Hello, supposedly these are made from ABS plastic that's fine and all but I bought Tamiya ABS cement and it doesn't work.  Also have tried acetone by itself, it doesn't cut the plastic at all.  Does anyone know of a cement that will bond the plastic on this thing?  The plastic piece that attaches the legs to the fighter plane in robot mode is broken in this valk and I would like to fix it to where it won't keep breaking off.  I hope any of this makes sense.

Thanks

Devcon Plastic Welder: two part epoxy-like adhesive that is strong (3500 PSI), not as brittle as super glue or regular epoxy, can be sanded, filed and drilled, cures in 4 minutes, handled in 1 hour and max strength overnight:

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-84145-Permapoxy-Black-Plastic/dp/B00THUUVSU

On that note: do you have pics of the actual break in the part? I might be able to advise you on fixing it.

Edited by pengbuzz

29 minutes ago, rocketblast said:

Here's a photo of the part that is broken.  Part of it is snapped into the fuselage and the other is between the legs.  It is grey, do you think a clear epoxy would work?  Or should I just try gorilla glue?

thumbnail_IMG_1910.jpg

OK, I understand now. Epoxy is going to be far too brittle and won't hold that, while Gorilla glue simply won't have much to hang onto there. Try the Permatex Plastic Welder, and see about putting some behind the broken part in the space in there. I would try lightly sanding it to give the adhesive some "tooth" to cling onto when you glue it.

1 hour ago, rocketblast said:

Here's a photo of the part that is broken.  Part of it is snapped into the fuselage and the other is between the legs.  It is grey, do you think a clear epoxy would work?  Or should I just try gorilla glue?

thumbnail_IMG_1910.jpg

I think that part is made from POM.

It is intended to be strong and has a high tendency of not working well with surface bonding glues.

If you are lucky enough to get the parts to stick cool. But they will never be strong as the original part once was and break apart easily.

Hopefully you can find a solution by doing a little research on the plastic and finding the right bonding chemical.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

22 minutes ago, rocketblast said:

Yeah I just wish the glue wasn't black.  Also odd this valkyrie came from the factory like this and one of the tail wings has some stress which I didn't do.  this is why I was trying to get another copy of this valkyrie.

If you bought it this way, why not send it back and purchase another?

I’ve found that adding some baking soda to adhesive/crazy glue kinda helps the glue to bond better/stronger.

Just messy as heck and not a clean look.  Never tried it on POM though.

1 hour ago, rocketblast said:

Yeah I just wish the glue wasn't black.  Also odd this valkyrie came from the factory like this and one of the tail wings has some stress which I didn't do.  this is why I was trying to get another copy of this valkyrie.

It also comes in cream color:

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22045-S-220-Plastic-Welder/dp/B00U7VRE42?ref_=ast_sto_dp

yeah ebay but it has been quite a while ago now.  I figured the 60 was fine at the time but still want to try to fix that piece :)  that bonding kit looks like possibly the way to go because it has plastic etch but I understand, too, that this plastic quite possibly can't be etched and bonded like other plastics can be.  With little surface area, it's kinda difficult to find an adequate solution.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2024 at 8:32 PM, mog_kupo said:

Im having a simillar issue with my Arcadia YF-19, the Tamiya cement just wont do it, and the ABS version its nearly impossible to find here in Mexico

The activator in Tamiya ABS cement is acetone.  The issue here is these plastics aren't really ABS so even acetone won't even etch it.  I haven't bought the plastic weld just yet but that's more than likely the route I'm going to have to take.

I bought the plastic weld I should have it soon then I'll hopefully be able to fix this.

Edited by rocketblast

• 2 weeks later...

I got the glue.  It is too small of an area for good adhesion so it didn't work.  I might try one more time but I don't think it's going to hold.  I might end up selling the valk as broken and buying another one who knows.  I have stated broken item and sold one in the past before.