DYRL Sound.

KingNor

i've got kind of an involved question.

i know the voice acting in DYRL is much better in the subtitled version. what i want to know is what the actual sound "quality" is in the subbed version.

in the dubbed version everything sounds really polarized and tinny, like it was recoreded in a warehouse or something ESPECIALLY the voices.

did the dubbing crew mess up the sound effects in with their own sound work or are the sound effects the same in the dubbed or subbed versions?

also it seems like the sound effects are layed in akwardly, with kinda jarring pauses in sound and stuff, is this the same with the original version?

thanks for the info.

There is something charming about the dub, though. Like Streamline's original Akira dub, it grows on you, and when you get the correct translation, you start to miss some of the oddities and quirkiness added by these dubs.

The Hong Kong dub of DYRL has some aboslurmely CLASSIC lines.

The Hong Kong dub of DYRL has some aboslurmely CLASSIC lines.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but....

Here are some of the classics...

Focker sounding like the Duke on acid.

Minmay sounding like she weighs about 350 pounds

HIkaru sounding like Corky from Life Goes On.

I capped these from VHS, so if anyone with any audio skills can clean em up, feel free.

I have fond memories of staggering home after many a night at the pub, with my friend and I shouting at the top of our lungs "A man and a wo-man together.......it must be pro-to-culture" every time we passed a couple on the street. This after an unsuccessful night where we had both failed to score.

Ah the good old days of my youth!

Graham

One of the problems I have with the English dub, though, is it puts a BIG plot hole into the story. During the scene where Hikaru and Misa are exploring the Prometheus, in place of Minmay singing "Cinderella," for some inexplicable reason they had her humming "DYRL." Problem: She doesn't learn of the song's existance for a few scenes afterward, when Britai and Exedor (who only get the music chip in the next scene themselves) give her the tune.

uh guys... topic is about how the original sounds.

basicly, is it something i could turn up on a good system and listen to or does it still have that overall cheap sound of the english dub version?

i know its confusing but i'm not talking about the voices in paticular but everything. does the original sound on the original japanise version of the movie sound any better than the english version?

thanks guys

In that case, KingNor, I'd go with the original Japanese. I've heard both, and the Japanese soundtrack (other than a few pops and hisses from film damage) sounds a lot crisper and cleaner than the English dub, which to me sounded muddy. Also, the Japanese track probably has a better chance of being remastered the next time they decide to do a super-duper anniversary edition (it is 2004, after all).