1:100 scale Arii Heavy Missile Regult build

SteveTheFish

Hi, I'm new here. I've occasionally lurked for many years, but never created an account. I see a few familiar users from the Starship Modeler Forum (hi Thom and VF-1 Grunt), where I go by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan. Anyhow, I'll share this build here. This is the old 1:100 Heavy Missile Regult battle pod by Arii.

Regult1.jpg.220c0b219a103cbca0568487eafce11c.jpg Regult2.jpg.125d50eaa89d8650084ef90c9dde9a48.jpg

Proportions for the Regult itself are great, but the missile pods are a bit top-heavy. It makes the model look a bit awkward. I have a Toynami sofubi toy which I assume is 1:72 scale and with them side-by-side, the Arii's missile pods are nearly as tall. I used Wave's H-Eyes parts for lenses and Kotobukiya's MSG for the thrusters. I used Mr. Color 323 Light Blue and 311 Gray for the white parts. The gray was a mixture of 32 Dark Gray and 72 Intermediate Blue. the decals were still usable after all these years. They were a bit yellowed, but I taped them to my window for several days to bleach them. They went on fairly well.

I also used my pinvise to drill out the cannons because out of the box, they had protruding parts that look more like bottle nipples than gun barrels. I believe I used a 2.5mm drill bit for the larger cannons. There is no ball socket articulation with the cannons. They must be glued into place. Comparing Macross models between Arii and Imai, the Imai kits had better overall proportions, but Arii implemented polycaps and has better molded surface detail and decals. Case in point, the red lenses on the top of the head are represented in Arii's molding, but these details are merely decals for Imai's 1:72 Regult. Arii has raised detail for the Regult's foot lamps, but they protrude too far. I cut them off and affixed those Wave lenses instead.

I have a pre-order for the 1:72 Hasegawa version of this kit, which will be released next week.

1 hour ago, SteveTheFish said:

Hi, I'm new here. I've occasionally lurked for many years, but never created an account. I see a few familiar users from the Starship Modeler Forum (hi Thom and VF-1 Grunt), where I go by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan. Anyhow, I'll share this build here. This is the old 1:100 Heavy Missile Regult battle pod by Arii.

Regult1.jpg.220c0b219a103cbca0568487eafce11c.jpg Regult2.jpg.125d50eaa89d8650084ef90c9dde9a48.jpg

Proportions for the Regult itself are great, but the missile pods are a bit top-heavy. It makes the model look a bit awkward. I have a Toynami sofubi toy which I assume is 1:72 scale and with them side-by-side, the Arii's missile pods are nearly as tall. I used Wave's H-Eyes parts for lenses and Kotobukiya's MSG for the thrusters. I used Mr. Color 323 Light Blue and 311 Gray for the white parts. The gray was a mixture of 32 Dark Gray and 72 Intermediate Blue. the decals were still usable after all these years. They were a bit yellowed, but I taped them to my window for several days to bleach them. They went on fairly well.

I also used my pinvise to drill out the cannons because out of the box, they had protruding parts that look more like bottle nipples than gun barrels. I believe I used a 2.5mm drill bit for the larger cannons. There is no ball socket articulation with the cannons. They must be glued into place. Comparing Macross models between Arii and Imai, the Imai kits had better overall proportions, but Arii implemented polycaps and has better molded surface detail and decals. Case in point, the red lenses on the top of the head are represented in Arii's molding, but these details are merely decals for Imai's 1:72 Regult. Arii has raised detail for the Regult's foot lamps, but they protrude too far. I cut them off and affixed those Wave lenses instead.

I have a pre-order for the 1:72 Hasegawa version of this kit, which will be released next week.

Thanks for posting, I rarely see the Arii versions of the regult actually built.

I think you’ll love the Hasegawa kit. If you haven’t built one of their regult kits, they’re a surprising joy. I hope you post the pics of that kit as well

I already own the standard Regult and the Light Missile version. I didn't get the Scout and it seems to be sold out everywhere I have looked online. I live in a small city in the mountains and I do not get to visit the larger hobby shops very often. I'm hoping that they'll do a Glaug in 72nd scale as well, eventually!

2 hours ago, SteveTheFish said:

I already own the standard Regult and the Light Missile version. I didn't get the Scout and it seems to be sold out everywhere I have looked online. I live in a small city in the mountains and I do not get to visit the larger hobby shops very often. I'm hoping that they'll do a Glaug in 72nd scale as well, eventually!

I’m sure the scout will come back in stock. And I’m totally with you on the Glaug. I’m really hoping for it.

6 hours ago, SteveTheFish said:

It's available on Amazon.jp.  As you live in Japan, you can take advantage of their "pay at convenience store" option (if you don't have a credit card, or don't want to give Amazon any other banking info).

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Hasegawa-65881-Fortress-Macross-Plastic/dp/B0BNKBN196/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=KZ5D8&content-id=amzn1.sym.188d4668-4672-4f36-9ad0-64c3725855d9%3Aamzn1.symc.573c83ff-b207-408b-b0c7-3d92bb6b7d04&pf_rd_p=188d4668-4672-4f36-9ad0-64c3725855d9&pf_rd_r=PRZTVEQ1K66ZR5E9SCRG&pd_rd_wg=erCDm&pd_rd_r=3b504e87-177b-4f65-945f-5159fb461e9e&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Nevertheless, as Big S said, it should come back into stock (E.g.: the Light Missile Version was sold out on Amazon.jp and recently became available again).

Thanks. I actually hadn't spent a lot of time looking for it. Recently I looked on Yodobashi, Hobby Search, and Amiami and they were sold out. I actually just found it on Dejitamin (a Yahoo Shopping store) and they have it for 1,000 yen cheaper than Amazon. I'm looking at pictures of it now. I have the Arii version and I thought I might start on that one next. The Arii Scout Regult has the option for either an opaque or a clear center "eye." Does the Hasegawa one have this option as well? I'm not sure what is canon.

3 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Nice to see those old kits still getting love. Also, nice to see you around here; weren't you also on Hobbyfanatics? I think I remember enjoying your hobby event reports back then.

Yeah, that was me! I recognized you too, but I couldn't remember the name of that old forum. It was there when I had the idea of recording my progress of building a model car and uploading the videos to YouTube to get feedback on techniques. Little did I know that I had stumbled upon a whole genre of videos for the hobby and it went from there. I've continued to do so ever since. I was still living in Arizona at the time. I am considering attending the All-Japan Hobby Show at the end of September. It's been a long time since I could attend. I took photos for FineScale Modeler Magazine and they published my content, but I haven't done that since 2018.

On 8/30/2023 at 7:31 AM, SteveTheFish said:

The Arii Scout Regult has the option for either an opaque or a clear center "eye." Does the Hasegawa one have this option as well? I'm not sure what is canon.

I don’t think the center is supposed to be clear, but it’s interesting that they gave the option. The hasegawa has a grey piece and if I’m not mistaken the alternate color has it white in the show

after looking around, the white may have been box art, I couldn’t find too many images on a quick search.IMG_2172.png.93fdc90fad5f0573849570c98022c885.pngIMG_2171.jpeg.04e677f38d1a7043e454393ed7bb0b80.jpegIMG_2170.jpeg.4b354dec7ccfcebf11d5c054eca713c0.jpeg

Edited by Big s

• 2 weeks later...