1/48 VF-1J w/fastpacks....

Gumper

As of yet I havent purchased any of the 1/48 scale Macross items.

I do have 4 other Yamato toys, a VF-11B, a VF-1A (Hikaru), a VF-1S (Roy) and the Super VF-1J (1/60)

My 21st birthday is the 28th of february and Im gonna try and persuade my mother to buy me a 1/48 scale valkyrie...what I need to know is, is the 1/48 VF-1J worth it? I love the colour scheme on the VF-1J and love the fastpacks...but I also like the VF-1S, so what would you guys go for?

And as a sad little side note...I got banned for one week over at RT.com....I dont even know why :( Didnt even get an email...woe is me :(

I do have 4 other Yamato toys, a VF-11B, a VF-1A (Hikaru), a VF-1S (Roy) and the Super VF-1J (1/60)

My 21st birthday is the 28th of february and Im gonna try and persuade my mother to buy me a 1/48 scale valkyrie...what I need to know is, is the 1/48 VF-1J worth it?  I love the colour scheme on the VF-1J and love the fastpacks...but I also like the VF-1S, so what would you guys go for?

And as a sad little side note...I got banned for one week over at RT.com....I dont even know why :(  Didnt even get an email...woe is me :(

Yes the 1/48 is worth it.

Don't feel bad about getting baned from RT.com, everyone here loves Macross, and many enjoy Southern Cross and Mospeada, so come in and join the fun. Welcome to MW.

Oh about being banned, did you make a post asking about macross products that are not being produced by Toynami? That can do it over there, from what I understand.

Edited by GobotFool

hehe, I dont know about welcome to MW.

I was on the forums every day using the old system.

Was more of a lurker then a poster though.

Ever since the system changed my interest in both Macross and Robotech dropped drastically.

But was playing with my Yamatos the other day and kina rekindled the interest :)

My 21st birthday is the 28th of february and Im gonna try and persuade my mother to buy me a 1/48 scale valkyrie...what I need to know is, is the 1/48 VF-1J worth it? I love the colour scheme on the VF-1J and love the fastpacks...but I also like the VF-1S, so what would you guys go for?

And as a sad little side note...I got banned for one week over at RT.com....I dont even know why :( Didnt even get an email...woe is me :(

yes. Ihave it. it;s awsoem. buy it and roy. then put it;s armor on roy and maek yourself a tv roy super

Was more of a lurker then a poster though.

Been "lurking" on this site for about a year now and never thought about registering until you put it that way! The VF-1J is ultra badass. All the 1/48s are ultra badass. Got one of each and cannot believe the detail and craftsmanship. Am an Applications Engineer for the pre-eminate CNC machine tool manufacturer and realize, on a very intimate level, the CAD/CAM work that went into the design and manufacture of these Valks. Would have to charge you $20,000 for a tool steel mold of the front landing gear strut alone. These are truely works of art. You will undoubtably agree after your first one, and the occasional trip to 7-Eleven to make a "withdrawl" will be forgiven!

Any 1/48 with or without the FAST packs is worth the price, as long as it's free of defects. Which should be true of both the 1J and the reissue 1S.

I agree with Ali Sama that if you ever plan on having two 1/48's, you should get the Super 1J and then stick its TV-style packs on a Roy 1S. But if it's a strictly either/or situation, I'd either get a plain 1J (since Hikaru never flew a Super 1J) or a 1S (and plan to get the DYRL FPs sooner or later).

The only minor issue with the 1J is, personally, I don't like the head sculpt as much as the 1/60 version. The chin is too chinny. But that's based only on pictures.

The 1S has a seam down the middle of the face, even on the reissue. How bad it is seems to vary from unit to unit, but it's also probably fixable.

Personally, I have an original-issue Hikaru 1A, which I got mainly because the only other option at the time was the defect-prone original-issue 1S. But now that I have it, I don't think I'd trade it for any other 1/48--the Yamato 1A head is a perfect rendition of inhuman robotic coolness.

Geez, don't worry about RT.com. Join the Valkaholics Anonymous.

Hello, I'm >EXO

Did anyone mention this before? The elbow part that covers the upper arm on the 1J is different from the DYRL valks.

Don't really matter to me. I'm just wondering why...

post-4-1075542019_thumb.jpg

Geez, don't worry about RT.com. Join the Valkaholics Anonymous.

Hello, I'm >EXO< and I've been booted from RT.com

Did anyone mention this before? The elbow part that covers the upper arm on the 1J is different from the DYRL valks.

Don't really matter to me. I'm just wondering why...

go with what you like. you're gettin the toy afterall. so get one that you'll enjoy the most. I don't want to sway you in anyway but I personally like the vf-1j better. the 1S is nice but 1J has always been my fav.

and exo, you play with your toys too much, that's why you notice those little things. BTW read your PM!! lol

Okay???? :huh: You are 21 years old and you still ask your mom to get you a toy? Jesus Christ!! I wish MY mother was like that instead of a realist who think I should grow up their way (my older sisters are that way too they just don't understand that I will not conform to their values). But anyway you're 21 years you can get that on your own common be a man about it and get your 1/48 with your own money. Anyway go for the VF-1S Roy but if you want to go for broke get both bu one at a time believe me your wallet will be crying. And as for RT.com don't worry about it you have a home here with us at Macrossworld. :lol:

yes I am 21, and as long as my mother keeps agreeing then I will feed my Macross addiction on my birthday :)

The thing is, I live in the UK, so Id have to pay extra shipping...can only afford one just now, so I reckon if anything Ill go with the VF-1J as I love the 1J :D

I joined MW in about 2000 with the old forums and lurked my way through 3 years of university :D

SO stop welcoming me to MW as a noob and instead welcome me back to MW :D

yes I am 21, and as long as my mother keeps agreeing then I will feed my Macross addiction on my birthday :)

The thing is, I live in the UK, so Id have to pay extra shipping...can only afford one just now, so I reckon if anything Ill go with the VF-1J as I love the 1J :D

I joined MW in about 2000 with the old forums and lurked my way through 3 years of university :D

SO stop welcoming me to MW as a noob and instead welcome me back to MW :D

Okay, Okay welcome back. :lol::D

Geez, don't worry about RT.com.  Join the Valkaholics Anonymous.

Hello, I'm >EXO< and I've been booted from RT.com

Did anyone mention this before?  The elbow part that covers the upper arm on the 1J is different from the DYRL valks.

Don't really matter to me.  I'm just wondering why...

I remember Graham bringing up the elbow difference when the 1J was announced. To make a short story long...

The difference in FAST pack shapes is an accurate representation of the difference in the line art between the series and the movie. So, incidentally, the 1/60 VF-1J has the movie-style FP, while the 1/48 1J has the TV-style FP. (Also, I've read on the forum that the missiles in the UMM boxes are positioned incorrectly on the 1/60's--the nose of the rearmost missiles should point backwards, so that you never see the tail of the missiles.)

But according to Graham, the difference in elbow shapes is a correction in the overall design. I.e., the DYRL toys should have the shape that's on the 1J toy. I don't know if the revised/later versions do or not.

Yes definitely get the super VF-1J. It's awesome. I really like the bigger hands too. Also, when you have more to spend, get a Hikaru 1S and a Max 1A. That way you can swap heads if you like the Max 1S more. And if you have more still to spend, hunt down a low viz, those things are awesome!

Joe P.

Am I correct to say that all TV Fastbacks had the red kite symbol on them?

the Skulls are from DRYL?

Correct...

Thanks Ewilen, for some reason I thought he was talking about the armor itself. I didn't even notice it until now that I'm taking the paint off. :huh:

hmmm. read you reply again, Ewilen... he WAS talking about the FPs... oh well... I'll reneg my appreciation... :p

Edited by >EXO<

I'd personally get a VF -1S Hikaru. I guess because it's not available in other scales by YAMATO.

I'm about yay(_) close to buying one myself. It'd also be my first 1/48. I've seen them personally and what worries me most is the possibility that I might wreak further havoc on my bank account and buy the whole 1/48 line all because of the hypnotic powers they possess.

sigh.... :unsure: what to do....

Question:

DSCN2458.jpg

How do I make the stickers less visible on the sides....and how did you get the white "Beware Of Blast" stickers for the fast packs? The black ones Yamato provided can't be seen on the fastpacks....neither the red "No Step"s as well. Are these Takatoys stickers?

Question:

DSCN2458.jpg

How do I make the stickers less visible on the sides....and how did you get the white "Beware Of Blast" stickers for the fast packs? The black ones Yamato provided can't be seen on the fastpacks....neither the red "No Step"s as well. Are these Takatoys stickers?

Hi :D Yeah they are Takatoys stickers and I gonna buy some. Excellent work Goonk :lol:

How do I make the stickers less visible on the sides....
what stickers on the side?
and how did you get the white "Beware Of Blast" stickers for the fast packs? The black ones Yamato provided can't be seen on the fastpacks....neither the red "No Step"s as well. Are these Takatoys stickers?
yeah Takatoys. Yamato gives red "no step" though. The 1J bhind the 1S wears the yamato "no step". Buy those and trash the Yamato... Note that to make the whole VF , FP you have to buy the VF + FP stickers sheets. It's 10+5$. Cheap.

Hopefully, it's easy to remove the Yamato stickers.

Hi  :D  Yeah they are Takatoys stickers and I gonna buy some. Excellent work Goonk  :lol:
thanks. As you can see I'm done with the 1S. 1J is in the garage :). Note that you can make two VF-1 with one Takatoy sheet. Each stick is in double. Edited by Göönk

Really interested in getting the stickers. one prob for me though as i am a total idiot in this...what do i need to cut the stickers?Any 'How to instructions'? For a total newbie who bungled all his Yamato Sticker applications, i forsee that this will be a big prob for me.

1) buy stickers and a cutter

2) you cut

3) you apply

Really, you don't need a documentation. Of course, a 5 years old child wouldn't do that. To apply the sticker I remove the cut sticker from the sheet with the point of the cutter. Then I place the sticker on the point and I apply with the cutter and my left hand thumb. The thumb presses on the sticker so I can remove the cutter. That's how I did and I fould it really easy that way.