Custom Homemade Mecha Display Cabinets!

ChristopherB

Hello,

To buy or to make your own?  Hopefully this will help anyone who is wondering what's the best approach to take.  It's hard to find a ready-made cabinet that is sturdy, has the right dimensions to fit in the space you have while also giving the optimum display area.  Not only that, but they often have doors that slide or make it difficult to get the valkyries inside.

I was lucky to have some existing shelving in my bedroom.  So I decided to dust off my rusty carpentry skills to upgrade the shelves into what I wanted.  Fortunately, I also had the help of an experienced friend who recently passed away.  Whenever I look at my display I think of the fun we had together building them.

I started off by measuring the various mecha in my collection to get their maximum height, width and length.  The top two shelves use a hinged single door that lifts upwards and is supported by adjustable hinges.  I did this so it was easy to arrange everything without any obstructions.  The lower section has three doors which swing all the way to the sides to also allow easy access and arrangement.  Wood shelves alternated by glass shelving.  

Thanks for looking!

1299318915_MechaCabinets(1).jpg

122401742_MechaCabinets(2).jpg

1766105518_MechaCabinets(3).jpg

11829397_MechaCabinets(5).jpg

1047683326_MechaCabinets(7).jpg

1040428060_MechaCabinets(8).jpg

23546165_MechaCabinets(10).jpg

1605647397_MechaCabinets(11).jpg

1387960629_MechaCabinets(14).jpg

Edited by ChristopherB
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...

@ChristopherB You guys did an AWESOME job on the case! Just put that "Cure" album on and you can have a full flashback in time!😎 The LED lights look great in there too. It's great that they have no IR to yellow the plastic with. Nice and clean too. - MT