Macross Zero HK DVD's

sidearmsalpha

I was checking out eBay and I came across the Macross Zero HK DVD's. Does anyone have these? Are they worth getting? They seem to be really cheap. I downloaded the 3 episodes so far on my computer, but I wanted something I could watch from my PS2. How is the video quality of the DVD's and how good are the English subtitles?

The subtitles are fair. Basically, they are understandable, but quite a lot of the fine points of the story are either skipped or mistranslated and some characters are misnamed.

Video quality is good on eps # 1 and # 3, put is quite poor during the action scenes on ep # 2.

Graham

I'd stick with your downloads. I actually bought the DVDs from Kevin (and caught a lot of hell around here for it :rolleyes: ) and I found the subs to be just awful. I'm hoping for an eventual AnimEigo style legit Region 1 release.

The subtitles are fair. Basically, they are understandable, but quite a lot of the fine points of the story are either skipped or mistranslated and some characters are misnamed.

Video quality is good on eps # 1 and # 3, put is quite poor during the action scenes on ep # 2.

Graham

There is another HK Mac. Zero DVD which contains ep. 1 and 2. The video is quite good on this version.

-K

Thanks for the update, Kevin. I've been wondering about that dual-episode disk for a while.

But after my problems with the episode 2 disk, I decided I wasn't going to buy any more M0 bootlegs. Well, I sort of changed my mind when a fellow MWer offered to create a DVD for me of all three episodes using the fansubed versions, essentially for the cost of materials plus shipping. He did a great job, BTW.

In future, I'll probably create VCD's out of the M0 fansubs for home viewing. SVCD is the same quality video as DVD, CD's are dirt cheap, and I've already invested the time to learn how to create them using free software.

Thanks for the update, Kevin. I've been wondering about that dual-episode disk for a while.

But after my problems with the episode 2 disk, I decided I wasn't going to buy any more M0 bootlegs. Well, I sort of changed my mind when a fellow MWer offered to create a DVD for me of all three episodes using the fansubed versions, essentially for the cost of materials plus shipping. He did a great job, BTW.

In future, I'll probably create VCD's out of the M0 fansubs for home viewing. SVCD is the same quality video as DVD, CD's are dirt cheap, and I've already invested the time to learn how to create them using free software.

Can you help me by pointing to a reference link, or tell me what software was involved? I'd really appreciate it! (as I'm sure many other fellow MWers will too)

Can you help me by pointing to a reference link, or tell me what software was involved? I'd really appreciate it! (as I'm sure many other fellow MWers will too)

Take a look at my signature. ffmpegX and missingmediaburner are the tools I use under Mac OS X. If you use a different platform my links (or the ones elsewhere in the thread) might still help.

BTW, I erred in referring to free software. ffmpegX is shareware (but the fee is cheap).

Documentation on these tools is sparse, but a few web searches will probably turn you on to a good forum. Also, if you search on "VCD" or "SVCD" on MW forums, you'll probably find links to some good help sites.

Use your knowledge only for Good.

Finally, Mods, if I'm treading too close to forbidden ground, please tell me to edit my post, or feel free to do it for me, or delete it. (As if I have to give permission...)