Should Yamato have an english version of their web

vibayo

Should Yamato have an english version of their web  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should Yamato have an english version of their web

• Yes
    • No

Although the option will be nice, I don't think we're really missing out on anything.

Yamato is tight lipped anyway, and whatever little info we get, Graham relays so...

No for me. Atleast not until yamato can break through the HGUSA barrier.

And as for the instructions... cmon guys... It's not rocket science...

If you're really serious about the hobby, figuring things out is part of the appeal. Pictures speak a 1000 words.

Would be nice, but I won't lose sleep over this. I agree with what JsARCLIGHT has mentioned basically. I mean, I will buy toys regardless, if I like the way it looks, and if I think I can have a fair amount of time playing with it. :)

Heck, I haven't really found the need to check out their website anyway. You can get all the info you need right here.

So, that's a NO from me.

Joe P.

Edited by Dragon Lord

you see the problems isn't with the valks as much as the other stuff like the 11B 19A and 21. those all have different transformation, not typical of the standard valk.

as i said, i got the YF 21, opened the box and preceed to transform without the instructions(instruction are for kids). so i got 90% into battroid mode and was like fock this shite. :rolleyes:

and started going backwards to fighter. only problem was i didn't know exactly how to go back and i certainly couldn't tell if i was doing it right. so like a kid, i busted out the instruction book which provided no help what so ever! :angry:

i checked for pic but every website has the same damn pics! 1 in fighter, 1 in gerwalk, 1 in plane with no multiple angle shots of any of them.

now i have it sitting on my shelf but i have no idea if i actually transformed it correctly. :blink:

Why would anyone vote no? Especially on a English-based fansite like MW.  :huh:

I voted no. They have no reason to make an english language website other than to cater to lazy, whiny english speaking fanboys like us which are not their active market.

I'm a businessman myself and I have to vote how I think they should act.

(read my sig now)

How hard is it to create an English link/site using JS, Flash, XML, and HTML codes?

Talk about being lazy.

Need something translated, give me a link.

what i do is i go to http://world.altavista.com/, what many of us know as Babel Fish Translation ... under "Translate a Web page"... cut and paste yamato's "what's new" link, http://www.yamato-toys.com/index.php?mode=wnew ... select "japanese to english"..and then translate the whole thing.. most of the page should show up in terrible, but readable engRish... even the links work..

Hey thanks for the tip, I have seen that on Altavisa (and Google, my prefered search engine) but I have not tried it before. Though I bet it won't OCR glyphs out of images ;)

I'd love to read some of the captions on the Japanese sites I have seen :(

ACK! ok this doesn't work... I have several files I "think" are in Japanese. When I paste the file name in, it just gives me a few letters and a bunch of "?"s

Like this one:

01-§Úªº¨kªB¤Í¬O­¸¾÷¥q Part II (¶º®q¯u²z¥D°Û).mp3

or the album title:

¥d³q¼@¶°¡m¶W®ÉªÅ­n¶ë Macross¡n­ìÁn­µ¼Ö±M¿è

Thank you for pointing out even more of my drunken typings for me to fix.  :lol:

I swear, the last few days I've been on here I've been drunk as a skunk and typing with my feet.

hjafsdjh haouhef afjndjnas hdaoladljhfda

Vostok 7

WHAT!!??

Anyway should yamato have an english version of their website um... how should I put this in terms even they might understand.....HECK YEAH!!!!! I am tired of trying to understand a language I've tried to learn but those dimwitted counselorS at my old high school thought it was more important for me to be in gym than to learn Japanese as a second language :angry: (okay calming down) Any way they should have an english version of their website so that we can all read up on the updates and current events. I susggest that someone with the ability to translate Japanese to english set up a partner website with Yamato for the non-Japanese speaking/reading crowd, just don't volunteer me. ;)

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

I voted no. They have no reason to make an english language website other than to cater to lazy, whiny english speaking fanboys like us which are not their active market.

(read my sig now)

How hard is it to create an English link/site using JS, Flash, XML, and HTML codes?

Talk about being lazy.

Creating a multi-lingual website is not a trivial task. It is not another line of code or a 'Save As...' option in your editor. Remember languages are complex things. It is not a simple look-up translation. There are issues with parts of speech, tenses, word order, local slangs, exceptions to rules, etc. To see for yourself, get a document written in Latin and a Latin-to-English dictionary. You'll probably be able to find the english meaning for the various words, but you won't be able to put them into an meaningful order. The longer and more complex the sentence, the worse it gets.

A multi-lingual website is certainly doable, but it would require resources. Corporations don't usually have resources just sitting around, especially in the current economic climate. Using an existing resource means you will take a hit in another area. Getting a new resource costs money. Neither one is an effective use of money considering that Yamato can't sell directly to this market.

ACK! ok this doesn't work... I have several files I "think" are in Japanese. When I paste the file name in, it just gives me a few letters and a bunch of "?"s

Like this one:

or the album title:

hmmm... u mean u pasted the file name under the "translate web page"? or under the "translate a block of text"? what files u trying to translate? i've used it pretty often and i usually get pretty ok results.. if u have a link.. or something.. lemme know n we try to figure out something together..

ACK! ok this doesn't work... I have several files I "think" are in Japanese.  When I paste the file name in, it just gives me a few letters and a bunch of "?"s

Like this one:

or the album title:

hmmm... u mean u pasted the file name under the "translate web page"? or under the "translate a block of text"? what files u trying to translate? i've used it pretty often and i usually get pretty ok results.. if u have a link.. or something.. lemme know n we try to figure out something together..

ACK! ok this doesn't work... I have several files I "think" are in Japanese.  When I paste the file name in, it just gives me a few letters and a bunch of "?"s

Like this one:

or the album title:

Thore are chinese, not japanese.

Probably rips from Taiwan or HK.

The first song is "My boyfriend is pilot", from album "Macross Complete".

I'm correct, it should be from that 3CD box set.

Like this one:

or the album title:

Chinese? I tried that, and I just tried it again... I get garbage

Coedes, Ya I pasted the file name into the "Translate text" on Altavista... I even used winamp to get the album title and tried it too... neither would work. I even tried several files.

Here are just a few of the Dozen or more I have

ƒ}ƒNƒƒX06_¬”’—³iƒVƒƒƒIƒpƒCƒƒ“j.mp3

ƒ}ƒNƒƒX12_ŽP‚Ì’†.mp3

12-¡qTVª©¥¼µoªí¦±¡rM - 13.mp3

03-·R±¡¬y³u Part II (¶º®q¯u²z¥D°Û).mp3

Now it might be a complication that I have the Japanese font pack installed but not the chinese. Unicode fonts being used by my system... etc

The language difficulty problem is ridiculous. All you would need is a point of contact who was fluent in both Japanese and English in Yamato (or contracted by Yamato) who would tell an English speaking webmaster what he wanted. Shawn, for example, could easily do it and there would have to be at least some actually in Japan.

Whether they SHOULD or not (due to how much it would cost and especially the fact that they're not openly courting the international market) is a different issue, but language difficulties preventing it are a strawman at best.

(read my sig now)

Talk about being lazy.

Creating a multi-lingual website is not a trivial task. It is not another line of code or a 'Save As...' option in your editor. Remember languages are complex things. It is not a simple look-up translation. There are issues with parts of speech, tenses, word order, local slangs, exceptions to rules, etc. To see for yourself, get a document written in Latin and a Latin-to-English dictionary. You'll probably be able to find the english meaning for the various words, but you won't be able to put them into an meaningful order. The longer and more complex the sentence, the worse it gets.

A multi-lingual website is certainly doable, but it would require resources. Corporations don't usually have resources just sitting around, especially in the current economic climate. Using an existing resource means you will take a hit in another area. Getting a new resource costs money. Neither one is an effective use of money considering that Yamato can't sell directly to this market.

Big word to that, VF1Guy..

My last job was working as web content admin at a giant auto parts company expanding into Mexico... I sat through about 7000 meetings on trying to create a Spanish version of the site. It is truly stunning to see how poorly translation programs work and how many thousands of variable dialects can completely change the intent of the original words. Throw in legal ramifications... sheesh.

In the end, the company went with manual translators for all it's Mexico-related content.... and the website is still very, very far from going live en espanol. This process started 5 years ago.

Of course, I'm also talking about a website that contained well over 2 million pages... I think if Yamato just prepared a single "News" page in English when they update it would please tons of their English speaking fans.

That can't hurt sales. Seriously, you guys ever imagine how clueless we'd be without this forum to share info? It would be silly for a company to depend on a fansite such as this... we have to be responsible somewhat for Yamato's final sales figures. I just can't imagine that English speaking toy buyers don't add anything to their bottom line - even if it is a not "supposed" to be so, due to licensing.