On 7/23/2023 at 3:40 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

It's hard to get invested in the fates of a bunch of characters who are seemingly doing everything possible to become a xenomorph's lunch.

Well, they could always try introducing the Aliens to fast food; look what it did for the Predator:

86192600_2857619487663756_7875632641062469632_n.jpg

Edited by pengbuzz

On 7/24/2023 at 12:49 AM, technoblue said:

Agree to disagree on that last part, but my bias has been and will always be pro-writer.

As for the prequel films themselves, they do deserve all the constructive criticism they receive. In addition to what Seto noted already, I thought Prometheus went astray by turning David into the main monster if you will. 

Mind you, I don’t mind having ancillary villains in an Alien film. Ash was a good one. So was Burke. It’s just that David’s errant behavior wasn’t as nuanced to me. I was also bummed that Noomi Rapace was only in the first film. Almost all of her shot scenes in Covenant were cut, and those scenes ended up explaining quite a bit.

So to bring this back on topic, I hope the new series brings back some consistency because I do think that has been missing.

Having never watched Prom and Cov (basically because nothing past Aliens really exists...) apparently there was a whole dialogue scene with the Engineer at the end of Prom that explained pretty much everything - and it was cut. Probably because a scene like Theron trying to outrun a massive rolling donut was more important than the story line, I guess...

Edited by Thom

10 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, they could always try introducing the Aliens to fast food; look what it did for the Predator:

Dude looks like he's going to (in clicks) ask us if we know de wae...

Still, I guess a xenomorph's definition of "fast food" is "former track and field star"... which is much less fattening.

3 minutes ago, Thom said:

(basically because nothing past Aliens really exists...)

Yes. 👍👍

3 minutes ago, Thom said:

Having never watched Prom and Cov apparently there was a whole dialogue scene with the Engineer at the end of Prom that explained pretty much everything - and it was cut. Probably because the action scenes were more important than the story line, I guess...

From what I've seen and read, a bunch of scenes and expository dialogue were cut from Prometheus that would have explained many of the final film's unclear areas.

That said, the film is absolutely 10,000% better off without it.  What we "missed" was a series of exposition dumps of Engineer history and religious philosophy that would've killed the film's pacing more comprehensively than the black goo it explained was killing the protagonists.  It was incredibly stupid in and of itself and really didn't mesh with the story as a whole narratively or thematically... especially once Engineer Jesus (figurative) and Engineer Jesus (literal) got involved in the explanation.  It didn't really explain the xenomorphs, but it did at least explain the Deacon from the end of the film.

20 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Dude looks like he's going to (in clicks) ask us if we know de wae...

Still, I guess a xenomorph's definition of "fast food" is "former track and field star"... which is much less fattening.

Right?

20 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

From what I've seen and read, a bunch of scenes and expository dialogue were cut from Prometheus that would have explained many of the final film's unclear areas.

That said, the film is absolutely 10,000% better off without it.  What we "missed" was a series of exposition dumps of Engineer history and religious philosophy that would've killed the film's pacing more comprehensively than the black goo it explained was killing the protagonists.  It was incredibly stupid in and of itself and really didn't mesh with the story as a whole narratively or thematically... especially once Engineer Jesus (figurative) and Engineer Jesus (literal) got involved in the explanation.  It didn't really explain the xenomorphs, but it did at least explain the Deacon from the end of the film.

Maybe they should have saved all that for an animated movie/ series about the Engineer's society or something...

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Maybe they should have saved all that for an animated movie/ series about the Engineer's society or something...

Nah... it really should just never have been written.  The same could be said for both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, given that the two of them are basically a Canto Bight-style plot tumor on the flank of the Alien franchise that doesn't really have anything to do with anything.

Considering that they were an expensive failure, and that the cut material would be much more at home in a bad Star Trek licensed novel than a horror movie, it and the film it was written for will both hopefully be ignored entirely by this new series.

Spoiler

Would YOU really want to have your horror movie stop dead for fifteen minutes to explain that the monster has no dick?

And that's not a joke, by the way... that was actually something fundamentally important to the cut explanation of the history and motives of the Engineers.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:
  Hide contents

Would YOU really want to have your horror movie stop dead for fifteen minutes to explain that the monster has no dick?

And that's not a joke, by the way... that was actually something fundamentally important to the cut explanation of the history and motives of the Engineers.

Seto...you know better than to bring politics into this discussion! :lol:

Edited by pengbuzz