Robotech Re-mastered basically Animeigo DVD set?

Heh... and here I was thinking that we had moved past the days of speculating what HG puts in its infamous "contracts." ;)

My only point is that they seem to be moving forward with the RT Remastered DVDs and there's no court cases, so we can assume that Animeigo knew what they were getting into.

Out of morbid curiosity, can anyone tell me how the Robofans are reacting to this? Are they thrilled that HG has double dipped into their wallets (triple dipped, if they also bought the Mospeada/SC sets) and are foaming at the mouth in anticipation for preordering the remastered set?

Well I use to be a robotech fan which is why I bought all the boxsets. Still it has some sentimental value. I havent watched all of them but I have been watching the remastered Macross and Mospeada series. Storylines are much better. Looking back, Robotech was lame. But still I grew up on it.

I am somewhat a fan, I am hacked and refused to buy the remastered ones. Then again, I got suckered in the MPCs. Only until I got my first 1/48 which was the low vis that I said WTF am I buying the MPCs??? Too late. I just finished the collection and bought the super armor except the Jack VF-1R. :angry: As the saying goes, Shame on you for the 1st, shame on me for the 2nd time. There will not be a second time which is why I skipped Jack.

My only point is that they seem to be moving forward with the RT Remastered DVDs and there's no court cases, so we can assume that Animeigo knew what they were getting into.

Uh Blaine...

hate to break this to you.....but a court ruled in Japan that Tatsunoko and Harmony Gold own that animation in the US lock, stock and barrel. I highly doubt that Tats/HG in turn sold that animation to Animeigo. Last time I checked...they extended a license to Animeigo. That means that Tats/HG can in turn do what they want with it. That is how licenses work.

1BRD, I'm not sure if Blaine was asserting anything regarding TP/HG ownership of the copyright to the cartoon Super Dimension Fortress Macross. However, I doubt that said ownership would give HG the right to use the remastered Animeigo footage without Animeigo's consent. Blaine is saying, simply, that the announcement of the RT remastered DVD's shows that Animeigo did give their consent.

Edited by ewilen

1BRD, I'm not sure if Blaine was asserting anything regarding TP/HG ownership of the copyright to the cartoon Super Dimension Fortress Macross. However, I doubt that said ownership would give HG the right to use the remastered Animeigo footage without Animeigo's consent. Blaine is saying, simply, that the announcement of the RT remastered DVD's shows that Animeigo did give their consent.

Who says that Animeigo had any right to consent. They worked on the footage it doen't mean they own it. HG does.

Who says that Animeigo had any right to consent. They worked on the footage it doen't mean they own it. HG does.

It's really not clear what would happen in the absence of explicit terms in the contract. IANAL (not remotely) but I doubt that Animeigo's agreement with HG simply said, "Animeigo has the right to remaster Macross and distribute it in North America". But if it did, the question would arise as to who owns the new master. Not who has copyright on it, who owns the physical (or electronic) master?

Also, by "consent" I mean Animeigo's agreement, as part of their contract, to HG's ownership of the new, restored master. Or to give HG a copy of the master (with Animeigo owning a copy of their own). Or to give HG access to the new master (even if Animeigo retains ownership).

Possibly, but it's not really relevant to the "big issues" discussed over there.

I'll shut up after noting that it is common in the publishing world for contracts between authors and publishers to contain an explicit clause regarding ownership of the printing plates. See e.g., "Standard Contract for a Novel".

Upon any termination, the Author may, within thirty (30) days of notification of such termination, purchase the plates, offset negatives or computer drive tapes (if in existence) at their scrap value and any remaining copies at cost, or at the remainder price, whichever is lower; otherwise, the Publisher may dispose of said materials, subject to the royalty provisions of this agreement.

From this it is clear that while an author has copyright to a book, he doesn't own the materials used in reproducing it for publication unless he buys them from the publisher. The analogy to a remaster should be fairly obvious. Of course, I may be mistaken since I have no particular expertise in this or any other area of the law.

Edited by ewilen

If anyone is interested.... the Robotech remastered set is at Best Buy for 19.99. Saw a few of them there tonight.

at their website is says it will be out on the 27th @ $19.99, but I'm going there tomorrow just in case. :D

Good, they did give Animeigo and Shin credit at least.

Put a bow tie on Frankenstein and he's still Frankenstein though.

19.99 for 12 episodes is quite cheap though, and would equate to not much more than the un-remastered brick in the end after the 3 boxes.

On pondering,

only two discs for 12 episodes would yield a lower bitrate than Animeigo's discs. I wonder if there would be any difference from that in the presentation. Either way, it's still a big leap ahead of the the old RT master.

What's this new artwork that's supposed to be in there?

19.99 for 12 episodes is quite cheap though, and would equate to not much more than the un-remastered brick in the end after the 3 boxes.

On pondering,

only two discs for 12 episodes would yield a lower bitrate than Animeigo's discs. I wonder if there would be any difference from that in the presentation. Either way, it's still a big leap ahead of the the old RT master.

Actually, AnimEigo's disc's were single layered, ADV's I'm sure are dual layered, so there shouldn't be much difference at all in bitrates.

On pondering,

only two discs for 12 episodes would yield a lower bitrate than Animeigo's discs.  I wonder if there would be any difference from that in the presentation.  Either way, it's still a big leap ahead of the the old RT master.

Actually, AnimEigo's disc's were single layered, ADV's I'm sure are dual layered, so there shouldn't be much difference at all in bitrates.

Were they? In that case never mind then on bitrate.

Well, there would have to be some type of consent.

If there were no provisions made in their original agreement that HG can use the remastered footage, then they cannot just come along afterwards and take it from AnimeIgo.

Well, there would have to be some type of consent.

If there were no provisions made in their original agreement that HG can use the remastered footage, then they cannot just come along afterwards and take it from AnimeIgo.

If Animeigo actually owned the remastered footage outright it wouldn't do them much good since they couldn't distribute/sell it without HG being involved.

It doesn't really matter anymore since the new DVDs are out and Animeigo and Shin are credited in the release from what I have read. It seems everying is ok. I have no plans on buying this set anyway.

But is that enough? Couldn't they have added something like "Original Story by Studio Nue/Artland" plus whoever wrote Southern Cross?

well, they did give Tatsunoko credit.

heh. :D

But is that enough? Couldn't they have added something like "Original Story by Studio Nue/Artland" plus whoever wrote Southern Cross?

well, they did give Tatsunoko credit.

heh. :D

It's too; bad Tatsunoko never did anything but hire animefriend....

Uh Blaine...

hate to break this to you.....but a court ruled in Japan that Tatsunoko and Harmony Gold own that animation in the US lock, stock and barrel. I highly doubt that Tats/HG in turn sold that animation to Animeigo. Last time I checked...they extended a license to Animeigo. That means that Tats/HG can in turn do what they want with it. That is how licenses work.

Don't be smarmy, 1BRD... there's no need to "hate to break" anything to me. I'm well aware of the court decisions and where the rights to SDF Macross are currently and I'm well aware of how licenses work.

My point was that we don't know what sort of license Animeigo signed with HG that would allow them to use their restored Macross footage as part of Robotech Remastered DVDs put out now by ADV. My point was that obviously the contract must include that provision, therefore there's no need for folks here to be upset about HG using the restored footage however they see fit.

Do you understand me this time? <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Whats the word on this set? Just curious. I was reading at RT.com and alot of people don't like the remastered version. Either its the upgraded/changed sfx audio or pixels in the video due to compression are the common complaints.

Edited by dejr8bud