Battletech/Mechwarrior Quiz

Ok, there are a select number of members who are fans of battletech/mechwarrior so I got some trivia quizzes lined up. Questions will be drawn from game/story events, not game rules or technical stats (with the exception of mech names). Unfortunately it requires more of a working knowledge of the stories as told in the novels, but you might get by with just some game knowledge on a few questions. Winner gets a cookie and recognition and a chance to be in my NEXT quiz, 5 questions and we'll start off easy... so here we go!

1. Davis Carlisle Clay (of the Gray Death Legion) was born on what world?

2. In the original SNES Mechwarrior game (which had damn little to do with the series itself) featured a mech that would later be seen in a technical readout, which mech was it? Another appeared in a technical readout under the same name, but was a completely different mech... brownie points if you know this one too

3. What is the phrase painted on the side of Eridani Light-Horse commander Edwin Amis' mech? (This particular mech is a Cyclops)

4. Kell Hounds/Crescent Hawk commander Jason Youngblood (hero of the early IBM-PC Battletech games) was mentioned in only one book. What book was it and what battle did he participate in during that book?

5. What is the name of the new regiment awarded to Highlander Loren Jaffray after his defeat of the Smoke Jaguar "Tau" galaxy on the planet of Wayside V?

Ok, there are a select number of members who are fans of battletech/mechwarrior so I got some trivia quizzes lined up. Questions will be drawn from game/story events, not game rules or technical stats (with the exception of mech names). Unfortunately it requires more of a working knowledge of the stories as told in the novels, but you might get by with just some game knowledge on a few questions. Winner gets a cookie and recognition and a chance to be in my NEXT quiz, 5 questions and we'll start off easy... so here we go!

1. Davis Carlisle Clay (of the Gray Death Legion) was born on what world?

2. In the original SNES Mechwarrior game (which had damn little to do with the series itself) featured a mech that would later be seen in a technical readout, which mech was it? Another appeared in a technical readout under the same name, but was a completely different mech... brownie points if you know this one too

3. What is the phrase painted on the side of Eridani Light-Horse commander Edwin Amis' mech? (This particular mech is a Cyclops)

4. Kell Hounds/Crescent Hawk commander Jason Youngblood (hero of the early IBM-PC Battletech games) was mentioned in only one book. What book was it and what battle did he participate in during that book?

5. What is the name of the new regiment awarded to Highlander Loren Jaffray after his defeat of the Smoke Jaguar "Tau" galaxy on the planet of Wayside V?

I... don't... know...

*Weeps Bitterly*

--------------------------------------------------

Now, for your agony, I present you with the complete Battletech Animated Series. This forumer is not responsible for any psychological scarring that may occur from watching said series.

http://www.battletechmodproductions.com/dl...loads_var.shtml

ACK!! Dies Irae, I figured YOU of all members would be able to answer these questions..... gah.... perhaps I have made it TOO difficult... Well, here are the answers to the first quiz, another (revised) one will come along shortly:

1. He was born on the planet of Helm in the FWL

2. The Grand Crusader, the Rajiin later appeared, but it was a completely different mech design.

3. "Boots and Saddles!" was the phrase painted on the side of Amis' mech shortly after he took command when General Ariana Winston died in task force serpent.

4. He was mentioned in "Blood Legacy" (Blood of Kerensky Vol. 2), he and his crescent hawk battalion fought along with the rest of the kell hounds at the battle of Luthien.

5. Jaffray was given command of the "Northwind Hussars", a regiment that would be styled specifically in anti-clan tactics

Has anyone ever played Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries? That is hands-down the best Mechwarrior game ever. If you've played it, do you remember the ending cutscene? Quite possibly the greatest ending cutscene of any game ever, does anyone maybe know where I can download it?

Also, can we add questions of our own?

Edited by Toby Danger

yes, can we add our own?

and is there a source out there that tells us what happened in the years after

the novel END GAME and the beginning of the Dark Age novels?

Not yet. I am sure that there will be one eventually.

Also, who here likes Dark Ages? I'm not real sold on it yet. I was hoping for a more desolute future and had the novels slowly rebuild the Inner Sphere then the very improbable set that we got. Also as much as I like Mike Stackpole's writing, did we need to see Victor Steiner-Davion again. Stackpole has a hard-on for that character like you wouldn't beleive. That just really bugs me.

ACK!! Dies Irae, I figured YOU of all members would be able to answer these questions..... gah.... perhaps I have made it TOO difficult... Well, here are the answers to the first quiz, another (revised) one will come along shortly:

2. The Grand Crusader, the Rajiin later appeared, but it was a completely different mech design.

3. "Boots and Saddles!" was the phrase painted on the side of Amis' mech shortly after he took command when General Ariana Winston died in task force serpent.

4. He was mentioned in "Blood Legacy" (Blood of Kerensky Vol. 2), he and his crescent hawk battalion fought along with the rest of the kell hounds at the battle of Luthien.

5. Jaffray was given command of the "Northwind Hussars", a regiment that would be styled specifically in anti-clan tactics

Wasn't the fight on Luthien in the third book?

Adding to this quiz, perhaps a little pet peeve question:

In all the pre-MechWarrior novels, which regiment should not be able to exist due to combat casualties (with zero mention of recruitment) but somehow managed to last not one but three books?

I suspect you are referring to the incredibly lucky Gray Death Legion, who fight Marauders with Locusts, do indeed fight three major campaigns with an ever decreasing roster of troops that never actually runs out, and grab themselves a Star League cache... :lol:

Wasn't the fight on Luthien in the third book?

No, Tukayyid (or however you spell it) was in the third book

Sure, you can add questions if you want...

As far as Lynx's question.... I'm guessing either Wolf's Dragoons or the Gray Death Legion.

Ok! Next quiz:

1.Only one novel featured the Phoenix Hawk air mech, which one was it? (*hint* while I liked it, most people thought this novel sucked pretty hard)

2. What venerable Kuritan aerospace fighter dominates the cover of the early versions of "Aerotech"? And which sourcebook can it's stats be found in?

3. There is ONE major discrepancy between a sourcebook and a novel. The book says a particular "jade falcon" character was there and the sourcebook did not. (those who don't know about Battletech scenario books, they're meticulous down to each mech and pilot for each battle) Which sourcebook was it and what character was it? (*hint* the Jade Falcon character was present in more than one book)

4. What did Hanse Davion offer Thomas Marik in return for the Mech upgrade/refit kits he produce for FC and DCMS units?

5."Seyla" is a ritualistic clan word meaning "unity", but what is the origin of the word?

Edited by Skull Leader

Nice tries on the Gray Death Legion, but actually the story was fairly realistic on the effects of battle casualties on regimental integrity; ditto for the Dragoons. I think saying 3 books threw a lot of people off.

The regiment I had in mind was actually Camacho's Caballeros from the Close Quarters-Heart of Chaos-Black Dragon "trilogy". The way Victor Milan was killing off characters in those novels... bleh, stretching the bounds of realities a wee bit.

As for Qn 5., I think Selya originated from Russian...?

LOL, 5 is a toughie but the answer is a lot more simple than that. I'll answer 5 now.

"Seyla" was the name of a female warrior that sacrificed herself in battle for General Kerensky during the initial civil war of the clans. The reasoning was never stated, but that explination was given in the back of one of the Jade Phoenix Saga books

Ok, I'm conferring in private with Dangard about #1, I've never read "Freebirth", but it wasn't the answer I was looking for. If he's correct, then my question is invalid.

#2 is indeed the "Samurai", but the stats for the original model of the fighter was first seen in the "Sorenson's Sabres" suppliment

#3 is still open for grabs

#4 Yes, Hanse Davion offered to place Joshua Marik in the NAIS to have access to the most advanced treatments for his Leukemia (which failed anyway)

#5 see above

Edited by Skull Leader

LOL, 5 is a toughie but the answer is a lot more simple than that. I'll answer 5 now.

"Seyla" was the name of a female warrior that sacrificed herself in battle for General Kerensky during the initial civil war of the clans. The reasoning was never stated, but that explination was given in the back of one of the Jade Phoenix Saga books

:rolleyes: I remember now.

I also remember 4 now. lol.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Nice tries on the Gray Death Legion, but actually the story was fairly realistic on the effects of battle casualties on regimental integrity; ditto for the Dragoons. I think saying 3 books threw a lot of people off.

The regiment I had in mind was actually Camacho's Caballeros from the Close Quarters-Heart of Chaos-Black Dragon "trilogy". The way Victor Milan was killing off characters in those novels... bleh, stretching the bounds of realities a wee bit.

As for Qn 5., I think Selya originated from Russian...?

LOL, because they weren't mainstream I COMPLETELY blew them off as not a possibility... don't know why I didn't see it before...

Ok, I'm conferring in private with Dangard about #1, I've never read "Freebirth", but it wasn't the answer I was looking for. If he's correct, then my question is invalid.

And you had to to go and sell you BT novels Cyc......

Muslim guy from the third Grey Death Novel?

Cyc

Turns out my question was invalid! There was a LAM in "Freebirth". The answer I was looking for was "Far Country" and Dangard sent that one to me in private, so credit goes to him!

I'll give it another hour on my character discrepancy question and then I'll answer it.

Alright, the character in question is none other than everybody's favorite Jade Falcon, Joanna. In the prologue of the book "Falcon Guard"(Legend of the Jade Phoenix, Vol. 3), It depicts Joanna and her participation at the battle of the great gash on Twycross IV. Well, "The Battle For Twycross" scenario suppliment lists not only a complete roster of the falcon guards, but all those who were engaged (including replacements) when Kai Allard Liao blew up the gash by self-detonating his mech. Joanna's name is nowhere amongst them, not as a Star Captain, not as a Star Commander (which is what she was at that time in the book), and not even as a mechwarrior.

If anyone else has any trivia they'd like to issue, I'm game!

Edited by Skull Leader

LOL, after that happened the Enforcer II became the FS's new poster-child/mech (and later the Enforcer III)

The Enforcer? Gee.

That's okay, I never really liked any of the unseens except for the Warhammer, Rifleman and Marauder anyway.

(and I meant Federated Suns... Really, I did.)

Vostok 7

I don't remember a LAM in Freebirth... maybe that's just me.

Whatever happened to the Pheonix Hawk after the "unseens" since it was like a favorite mech of the Federated Sons?

Vostok 7

There's a new Technical Readout out, Project Phoenix. It has updated versions and new art for all the "unseen" mechs that don't cry out for legal action. It's pretty interesting how all the designs are changed.

BTW, Danguard was right. Far Country and Freebirth are the only books that LAM's are involved in.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a passing reference to a PXH LAM in Wolves on the Border, just after Tetsuhara-sensei first met the Dragoon command.

IIRC, they were saying that Blake was up in his PXH LAM and Tetsuhara-sensei is impressed that they had the technical knowledge to maintain a LAM.

There's a new Technical Readout out, Project Phoenix. It has updated versions and new art for all the "unseen" mechs that don't cry out for legal action. It's pretty interesting how all the designs are changed.

Yeah, I remember Dies sending me a website with some of them, but I haven't kept up. Some of the designs were a little too much and some of them were pretty good. I want those technical readouts though.

It's been awhile since I read any books and my memory is notoriously rusty sometimes.

Vostok 7

5."Seyla" is a ritualistic clan word meaning "unity", but what is the origin of the word?

Seyla comes from the bible, it means pause and contimplate, basically its an early form on 'Amen'. The explaintion about the wolf warroir who saved the ilKhan is considered non-cannon

Hybridchild

Heres some for you

1. The Com Guards have a Faslane class yardship named the Dun Laioghre, where is Dun Laioghre?

2. Whats the one Pirphery nation who has a warship?

3. What are the name of the two Kell Hound owned battlemech factories?

4. What mech did Nicolas Kerensky pilot?

5. On which planet was the Draconis Combine founded?

Hybridchild