FFXI Christmas Spectacular!

Vostok 7

Yes those are the types of ppl who you see lying on the ground dead while everyone runs over their carcasses.  those are the type of ppl who need a PT of 4 to defeat a weak little thing and try to bitch at you on how you should use another type of weapon.

Those type of ppl won't get very far in the game and if they do its only because someone was very nice to them and helped them out. 

Sometimes I wish we could P/K then I would nuke half of the idiots myself.

It still amazes me how someone can reach lv30 and not know how to pull or play out their role in a party properly. <_<

I guess thats why getting advanced classes is such a pain.... natural selection I guess. <_<

The real reason to quit this game is not the painful advanced job quests..... is the fact that you are going to have to start from zero, and you will be obligated to play with a bunch of morons who don't know what they are supposed to be doing and refuse to learn.

Edited by Abombz!!

What I love is the apparent recent inability for WHMs to heal their tanks. I've died like three times now because of WHMs that didn't do their job correctly. And they always come up with lame ass excuses... Like one time, I pulled a Gambler or a Leecher and it cast Stonega on me as I was running up to the PT... It took away most of my HP... And a few MINUITES later without a heal, I was dead. I hadn't gotten ONE heal the whole time. The damn WHMs should have been healing as I walked up! Not waited until I was half dead, then taken their sweet time to heal me at their leisure while healing other PCs. That really really pissed me off.

The tank should ALWAYS be the focus of healing BEFORE ANYONE ELSE, no matter what damage they have. The tank is there to save everyones asses, and if no one else can be bothered to save his, he can't do his job.

Vostok 7

How someone can reach that high of a level and not know what they are doing is beyond me. I'm lucky that I never ran across anyone one like that other then that one white mage during the first few levels. He still wouldn't listen we others in the zone shouted trying to explain to him that white mages don't fight. Oh well.

Since mmorpg are usually the same in certain aspects I try to take whatever experience I have in others and adapt them to other games. It usually works, I just don't understand how someone can ignore advice from players that playing the advance classes. That right there should show they know what they are talking(not always true sometimes) since they had to have a good knowledge in the game in order to obtain those classes.

That sucks about the WHM. That's all a WHM has to do is heal. Its not that hard, you see the warrior coming back start healing them, no one else is in battle. Use the party cure if a bomb goes off. A lot of the problems comes form these games not explaining how to play the characters. It isn't like there are any NPCs in the game give people a small crash course in what their role is. That would solve a lot of problems cause all the manual does is give a short description of the job and that's it. A little NPC help would go a long way to help things out, especially since there isn't an easy way of talking with people in the cities or zones outside of shouting and that seems to get ignored or not seen at all. And people don't seem to be able to join linkshells when they first start playing so they have no communcation with other players and those lower levels is when they should have the most communication and help given to them in some form or another. And major design flaw in my opinion.

That sucks about the WHM. That's all a WHM has to do is heal. Its not that hard, you see the warrior coming back start healing them, no one else is in battle. Use the party cure if a bomb goes off. A lot of the problems comes form these games not explaining how to play the characters. It isn't like there are any NPCs in the game give people a small crash course in what their role is. That would solve a lot of problems cause all the manual does is give a short description of the job and that's it. A little NPC help would go a long way to help things out, especially since there isn't an easy way of talking with people in the cities or zones outside of shouting and that seems to get ignored or not seen at all. And people don't seem to be able to join linkshells when they first start playing so they have no communcation with other players and those lower levels is when they should have the most communication and help given to them in some form or another. And major design flaw in my opinion.

Effect... I see where you are coming from, but in this case its not an excuse.

Number 1: about 70% of the players in FFXI know FF, and play FFXI solonely(sp) because its FF game. They know what whm blm are supposed to be doing and they know what they are not supposed to be doing.

Number 2: theres no need for explanation because everyone goes through the first 10 or so lvs, lving by himself. By lv10 he/she should know what the heck they are supposed to be doing and which role they are going to have. You can't tell me you start the game as a whm, and by lv10 you can't figure out you are not a warrior and you should be standing back and healing everyone. The same thing for wars, they have provoke for a reason, and the ability has a clear explanation (other then the obvious meaning of the word) of whats its going to do. The same for blm.... they can attack, but by lv10 they should know that 2 or so attacks and they are down for the count.

Number 3: the other 30% of the players in that game already know MMORPGs in some form and are well aware of what they should be doing, even if the rules are slightly different.

Theres a reason why you go through the first 10 lvs solo... because you are supposed to get used to the job class you chose, and you are supposed to know what you can and can't do. When you look at a party, you easily see that everyone there complements each other. Unless your IQ is lower then that of a desk.... I don't see how the heck someone can't figure out what they should be doing when they get in a party. And its not like every player was like that.... how come the first batch of players knew how to play the game well? Where they born with an inherited knowledge of FFXI? No. Its simply because they were smarter then the new players.

Unless they used some sort of hack to get them to lv10.... theres no way a FFXI player can't know his role by then. And I'm not talking about advanced stuff like skill chains or the advanced job classes.... I'm talking about whm healing everyone, tanks keeping mages alive and provoking all the time, attackers dishing out damage and blms nuking the heck out of a mob. And even if they don't know their roles... chances are... someone in their party does.... why the heck won't they listen then!?!?!?!

I can understand mistakes from lack of familiarity(sp) with the gaming enviroment, and those are bound to happen. But mistakes that happen simply because the player refuses to listen to the voice of reason can only be attributed to pure stupidity. <_<

Edited by Abombz!!

Oh I agree with you, there is no excuse. Like you said most players have either played a Final Fantasy game, come from other mmorpgs, or have did the first few levels and should know what their main role is. Its on thing to ask a person what they can do but you should know what your job is in those first few levels. I was just trying to give a different outlook on the situation. Though there are certain things, I personally would never have thought a paladin would have made a better tank then a warrior. I never saw anything before that would have lead me to believe that to be honest and was surprised when I was told that. I always thought Black Mages to be the ones to deal out the most damage in a single hit(ala Wizard and other casters from other games), since its like that in the games, especially against certain monsters. I came to learn from reading post on other sites that wasn't the case at all in mid to higher levels.

Edited by Effect

And even if they don't know their roles... chances are... someone in their party does.... why the heck won't they listen then!?!?!?!

Because the person who's giving them good advice probably isn't higher level than they are, and they don't have official leadership of the group. I mean, hey.. isn't that what matters most? <_<

Oh I agree with you, there is no excuse. Like you said most players have either played a Final Fantasy game, come from other mmorpgs, or have did the first few levels and should know what their main role is. Its on thing to ask a person what they can do but you should know what your job is in those first few levels. I was just trying to give a different outlook on the situation. Though there are certain things, I personally would never have thought a paladin would have made a better tank then a warrior. I never saw anything before that would have lead me to believe that to honest and was surprised when I was told that.

I know you were. But if you play FFXI for a while... you will start to notice which newbies will make it... and which won't. For example.... I was in the Highlands trying to lv up my sword skill the easy way, got a tell from a little taru whm who needed help getting through the highlands safely. I wasn't doing anything.... so I decided to help him out. So there we go... waltzing all the way from the Crag of Dem to SGustaberg. He got agro by a Quad, and I immidiately provoked it off him, and told him not to heal me so he would keep hate at a minimum.... the little guy complied. Then... he went on to tell me how his party kicked him out right before taking a Battering Ram. Now... doesn't take a genius to figure out they were extremely stupid for taking a notorius monster at lv10.... and kick their only whm out. He then proceded to ask several different questions about game mechanics. Saw him 3 days later.... almost lv20, waved at me and thanked me for the tips.

That same day... I came accross an elvaan blm who demanded me to take him accross the highlands (I used demanded losely because his rudeness knew no bounds). Well... the little crap got aggroed by just about every mob on his way to meet me. By the time he reached me he had a train that went from Quads and gobs.... to ghosts and the weird things that have swords floating above their heads. I told him I would get them off my back... but that he wasn't supposed to cast spells because I would never be able to pull them off him. Well... the little crap started nuking the mob..... got cursed and killed, and then told me in AIM jargon that I sucked and that I would get someone to raise him. I finshed the mob, and told him "Well... thats what you get from not listening" and left. 3 days later... he had gone from lv11 to lv 9. :blink:

You can always tell that rude people won't make it. I learned that a long time ago. I had a similar experience of that of the WHM when I frist started playing Everquest when I tried to cross the Karanas zones to get to the wizard spires. I love meeting players like that cause it shows they have an interest in learning the game and I love to help out players when are polite. I tell you just because its a game and your are online manners go a long way.

To hell with the BLM. Right from the start it was going to be trouble from the sounds of it. Not surprising he deleveled so much.

That same day... I came accross an elvaan blm who demanded me to take him accross the highlands (I used demanded losely because his rudeness knew no bounds). Well... the little crap got aggroed by just about every mob on his way to meet me. By the time he reached me he had a train that went from Quads and gobs.... to ghosts and the weird things that have swords floating above their heads. I told him I would get them off my back... but that he wasn't supposed to cast spells because I would never be able to pull them off him. Well... the little crap started nuking the mob..... got cursed and killed, and then told me in AIM jargon that I sucked and that I would get someone to raise him. I finshed the mob, and told him "Well... thats what you get from not listening" and left. 3 days later... he had gone from lv11 to lv 9. :blink:

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That's hilarious.

What I love is when someone gets aggroed and pulls like 3 Gobs to a zone, all the while running past every PC and party he can find as close as possible to try to "shake" the Gobs... Usually, they get theirs.

There are some freaking stupid people in this game. It's amazing. I thought SWG had it's fair share of incredably stupid people (like the guy who decided he hated Bothans, and went around saying so... After proclaming he was my "friend" because I had made the mistake of grouping with him and saving his ass from a Swooper) but FFXI has taken the cake so far.

The one I loved is when I got into a party with a lvl 11 war (I was lvl 13 or 14 by now) and after a couple pulls our party leader D/Ced somehow. Now, this little lvl 11 war had already been trying to run the party, but after our party leader D/Ced, he just went off on what we should do and when and where and yadda yadda and he wasn't even the new party leader! And even worse, the other party members were listening to him!! I kept saying "No, we shouldn't do that. No, we shouldn't do that" and then waiting for the party leader to say something, but then they'd all just follow this 11 WAR! And what happend? He got the whole party killed because he was an idiot. :rolleyes:

Also, never party without a WHM (I did it once, will never do it again) or with a WHM on dialup that D/Cs in the middle of heated battles. (how he got to lvl 19 I do NOT know)

Vostok 7

I'm not quite sure what to say about some of this...

I am an american gamer, with experience in both Final Fantasy (as a series overall.. I own them all) and MMORPGs (I was a beta tester for Ultima Online).... I always try to be as polite to other players (regardless of their nationality) as I can. If I have a problem, I try to research the manual and the "tips & suggestions" sections before I go asking anyone any questions (they wind up being quest-related usually) and I always do my best to know my role and place in a PT.

I am required, by force of language barriers, to play with people who know my own language. I know just enough japanese to tell those players that I am sorry for bothering them when I encounter them. So far I have had minimal-to-no problems with other players, and everyone I know has thanked me for PTing with them when I do (there are a group of us that usually get together to go out to level, although we do so less now simply because we don't get XP together like we used to) I can only assume that some servers have it worse than others, because 98% of the people around Bastok on the Pandemonium server are rather polite... and if they want nothing to do with you, they at least give you the courtesy of giving you a wide birth.

Surely not all americans are so bad? If so, I'm really sorry that my nation has so poorly mis-represented itself online. I can almost guarantee that the worst ones are probably much younger players. Perhaps a level of maturity should be attatched to the requirements for the game.

I'm not quite sure what to say about some of this...

I am an american gamer, with experience in both Final Fantasy (as a series overall.. I own them all) and MMORPGs (I was a beta tester for Ultima Online).... I always try to be as polite to other players (regardless of their nationality) as I can. If I have a problem, I try to research the manual and the "tips & suggestions" sections before I go asking anyone any questions (they wind up being quest-related usually) and I always do my best to know my role and place in a PT.

I am required, by force of language barriers, to play with people who know my own language. I know just enough japanese to tell those players that I am sorry for bothering them when I encounter them. So far I have had minimal-to-no problems with other players, and everyone I know has thanked me for PTing with them when I do (there are a group of us that usually get together to go out to level, although we do so less now simply because we don't get XP together like we used to) I can only assume that some servers have it worse than others, because 98% of the people around Bastok on the Pandemonium server are rather polite... and if they want nothing to do with you, they at least give you the courtesy of giving you a wide birth.

Surely not all americans are so bad? If so, I'm really sorry that my nation has so poorly mis-represented itself online. I can almost guarantee that the worst ones are probably much younger players. Perhaps a level of maturity should be attatched to the requirements for the game.

Actually... I'm simply following Squares standard that every non japanese is American. I didn't mean to attack US gamers specifically as alot of the bad gamers are also from other nations. At least in Unicorn, you can easily see who is American and who is just speaking english. American players 99% of the time have the annoying idea that putting grunts with vulgarities before a ws or ja is fun. Not only that... but they also have stupid little phrases that they love to spam all the time. Not to say that they are all bad.... there are great american players in that game.

Its just that.... experience wise, and in Unicorn, the US is not being well represented.

I understand you all completely. That's why I try as hard as possible to find Japanese parties or American parties who are rank 4+. When I had to level up my subjob and started partying with people who were subjob-less, I just had to cringe. Was I that noobish at level 17? I don't think so, and this is the first MMORPG I have ever played. Then there are those who ask for help every 5 seconds for really simple stuff, and when I tell them to look things up on the internet they give me the "I'm too lazy, F--- you", line. I have joined 4 linkshells so far, and they all ruined by 1-2 people who act just like that. Sometimes I think the Japanese are a little to obsessed with "manner" but in cases like this, I really appreciate the fact that they are.

Vostok, as for the no whm rule, there are exceptions. As usual with the shortage of white mages in the game, I took a level 25 or so group to Qufim which consisted of a warrior, a monk (me), a red mage and three black mages. We had our doubts, especially the rdm who after being told that he was the main healer, replied, "Dude, if this sux, I'm gonna bail." Instead, it turned out to be the fastest and easiest killing of crabs that I have ever done. :)

I understand you all completely. That's why I try as hard as possible to find Japanese parties or American parties who are rank 4+. When I had to level up my subjob and started partying with people who were subjob-less, I just had to cringe. Was I that noobish at level 17? I don't think so, and this is the first MMORPG I have ever played. Then there are those who ask for help every 5 seconds for really simple stuff, and when I tell them to look things up on the internet they give me the "I'm too lazy, F--- you", line. I have joined 4 linkshells so far, and they all ruined by 1-2 people who act just like that. Sometimes I think the Japanese are a little to obsessed with "manner" but in cases like this, I really appreciate the fact that they are.

Vostok, as for the no whm rule, there are exceptions. As usual with the shortage of white mages in the game, I took a level 25 or so group to Qufim which consisted of a warrior, a monk (me), a red mage and three black mages. We had our doubts, especially the rdm who after being told that he was the main healer, replied, "Dude, if this sux, I'm gonna bail." Instead, it turned out to be the fastest and easiest killing of crabs that I have ever done. :)

The Rank rule thing sucks. How am I supposed to do the last Rank2 Bastok mission if I need high lv players who also happen to have lv25 or lower equipment to find some stupid dragon in Windurst? <_<

As for the no whm rule..... 2 rdms can easily work as whms, as long as they have a mana intensive sub job.

Yeah, but you had an RDM and three ( :o ) BLMs... We had like 1 RDM, 1 BLM and a handful of other jobs :rolleyes:

For the record, some of the most considerate and excellent players I have run into are Japanese. There was a WHM in Selbina once I /t to join my party and she (mithra) replied "Do you speak Japanese" and I said "No, sorry" and she said "Too bad." (via the auto translationy dealy)... I didn't take that "too bad" to be a bad thing... Just that she didn't want to party with us if we didn't speak Japanese.

I've partied with a few Japanese players and they are always very respectful (if you are respectful to them) and they know their job like no tomorrow... Which is great since you don't have to communicate with them to tell them what to do.

The only time I have been mad at anyone Japanese is when I ran into a high level Japanese WHM doing raises for 3000g. Now that's just a little unfair, especially since he was the only WHM around that could do a raise.

Vostok 7

The Rank rule thing sucks. How am I supposed to do the last Rank2 Bastok mission if I need high lv players who also happen to have lv25 or lower equipment to find some stupid dragon in Windurst? <_<

As for the no whm rule..... 2 rdms can easily work as whms, as long as they have a mana intensive sub job.

Rank 2 mission? Is this embassy one where you have to kill the dragon at the end?

This requires no high level help, just a full party of 6. Full party well rounded @ 25 = VERY EASY fight. Well rounded party of five = Easy. You can probably take it on with 4 too with food and various enhacing items (pies and orange juice for mages, seafood for the tank, meat for the physical offense and maybe potions for everyone.). You can ask a level 70 person, but that won't really do any good as he'll end up leveling down to 25 anyway. Only thing you really need is a black mage.

Enter the battlefield. Sleep the dragon, mighty strike the eyeball, eyeball dead. Then everyone else use 2 hour on dragon until its done. I don't know how the Bastok quest goes as my character is Sandorian, but if you're killing the windurst dragon in giddeus, the dragon casts a really nasty powerful curse. It only casts on one person, so be sure to watch out for it. It dropped my monk's max HP count from 500 to around 95 and it lasted for a very long time. If you have any stun skills (H2H shoulder tackle, Paladin Shield Bash, Drk weapon bash, BLM stun spell) you should be able to stop him from casting it.

Reading this thread has been quite entertaining. It sounds like you guys are on the servers from hell. Maybe I've just been lucky or haven't been playing enough, but most of the players that I've encountered seem to be quite competent. All of the parties I've been in have always managed to run quite smoothly. Sure, I've had battles that didn't go too well, but I found that everyone still played their part properly. Maybe the Ifrit server just happened to be bkessed with most of the good players :p

I'm finding these emergency server maintenance shutdowns to be the real annoyance!

My server has been fortunate too, although I've yet to leave the Bastok/ Gustaberg area yet (don't intend to try until I've reached lv.10), everyone seems pretty nice. There are a lot of white mages running around that gladly cast protective spells on lone travellers if they see one (I always thank them, if they don't run off too fast)

It's weird, because most of the people I party with do not announce themselves as looking for a party (we track each other down individually) and finding anyone else to party with is extremely difficult for a Lv.9 warrior. One of our guys actually deleted his character (a hume) so he could build a new one (Tarutaru) specifically as a white mage. They're that hard to find around here.

any server can be a good one... you really don't have any choice about which one they place you on (unless someone you know gets a world-ticket for you). This is the only thing I don't like about the game that I DID love about Ultima Online... they choose the server for you.

Quick question guys, I just got the game tonight, and will be playing tommorrow. You all said that Unicorn server was a good server, right?

The unicorn server is nice... as long as you watch out and be patient and start playing the game known what you are going to get from it. :)

P.S. if anyone needs a world pass.... just post here in this thread and I'll buy one. I'll be around the Bastok area for a while... so I can just drop by and get one.

Edited by Abombz!!

Finally!! Yesterday I completed the samurai quest. Took me 5 hours to complete it and I found help by accident. One person in my linkshell promised he would help me, and I stumbled upon him by accident while coming back from the Highlands. He got us a lv60 english speaking blm (I know... amazing isn't it? :blink: ), who took alot of convincing to join us, and then we got a lv33 whm who was also interested in doing the quest. We went to Norg (I made many mistakes on the way), and got them the quest. When we got back to Jeuno, we were joined by a lv40 something warrior who wanted to finish the quest too. We had to fight the bomb 3 times, and it was pretty easy (our blm was getting no damage). At lv30, with a lv10 pali subjob the bomb hit me for 100 dmg, so anyone interested in doing the quest too should defenetly bring along someone who can deal with dmg better.

After that... we rode to Zi Tah. Beautiful place!! The Rock Golem is the single coolest looking mob in the game... and it kicks way too much ass. The place is a maze filled with all sorts of Gobs. None of us had a map so our blm get us a lv62 whm to come with us and lead us to the sacred tree. We were just a few steps from the tree.... when we lost 2 of the party members. It was late, so we finished it anyway. The Treant is all looks and no power. At lv30, I was hit for 37 dmg. :lol: It went down pretty easy after everyone pulled their 2hs on it. It was my first treant (at least the first I stood a chance against), so I figured... might as well snap a shot of that ugly thing. :lol:

post-26-1074956561_thumb.jpg

see, I'd love to come over to the same server as some of you guys, but I would have to start all over again (just about to reach lv. 10) and you guys are already pretty far up the scale. I'd hold everyone back for a very long time.

Well.... you could come over. Vostok and Yosho have been stuck between lv18 and 21 for the past 2 weeks or so. I have a few advanced job classes that I could lv, my samurai is just lv7 now, and I have a lv10 thief that I would like to lv eventually, and I'm getting more and more interested in lving a whm.

Theres really no such thing as holding back.... just come... and we'll figure something out. And besides... its much better to be in a server with ppl who can help you then in a server where you are alone... specially when you have to hunt for Kazham keys, sub job quest items and someone to help you get to Jeuno to do the Chocobo quest.

Like I said... if you guys are interested... I can just buy a world pass. I just sold 4 stacks of beeswax so I have close to 70k, so money isn't an issue. :)

I just had the best day of partying I've had in some time... I went from 18 to 19 today and I'm 1500xp away from 20. Not too shabby :D And I died two times!

Having lots of fun... Can't wait to get level 20 and head to qufim and Jeuno.

Vostok 7

Sure sure sure, make me seem bad. Its not like I'm playing FF11 all the time. Hey Vos see the new "toy" I got for my bro, I shall now refer to him as DT from now on. I'll get above lvl21 eventually I"m only about 2000 away. Just gotta go back and pay off some of the mob debt to DT. :p

Well, I finally made Lv. 10 early yesterday! After a new set of much-needed gear, a companion of mine said we should celebrate by an xp-farming trip to the highlands....

...............BAD MOVE.............. <_< :blink:

We spent more time than anything running from Goblin Butchers (ugly dudes...). We somehow managed to kill a Veteran Quadav, but I ended up getting wasted by some stupid giant ram (we ran like hell, but damn they sure move fast!) which levelled me back DOWN to 9! I couldn't use any of my armor or weapons, so I had to make a run back for Bastok with NOTHING to protect me! Fortunately I hadn't sold any of my old armor or weapons, so it was a simple matter for me to re-arm. I'm gonna spend a LITTLE more time on vamp. mtn before I travel out any further with ANYONE I think....

LOL I learned my lesson... never travel to the highlands or the dunes without some MAJOR firepower and a robust WHM to cover your back....

Edited by Skull Leader

Actually, the highlands are a good place to lvl from 9 to 10 if you avoid anything that'll aggro and only take the hornets and stuff.

But yeah, otherwise avoid going past Gustaburg for awhile...

Though, if you pick your way past the Gobbies and get to the Valkurm Dunes, you can start partying at lvl 10. Or you can party in the Highlands. Partying of course involves having a WHM to cover your backs.

btw... lvl 20 here :p

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Skull Leader.... theres a spot in the Highlands where you can safely fight worms (they link though, so watch out). You should fight them till you are lv11. After that... you can either fight alot of easy preys or go to Valkurm to party. You just have to learn how to avoid agro, thats all.

I just had the most brain numbing experience of my life..... a party made me their main healer. Now... get this.... I'm a samurai subbed with whm, but I only have enough mp to cast cure 4 times. And the idiots were pulling ITs. How the heck am I supposed to keep everyone healed in this case? :blink:

Apologies in advance...I know this doesn't belong in this thread but I didn't want to start a new one for just one question. Add to that that I am pretty sure that several of the people that post to this thread regularly are much more "in the know" about games than I am. So here goes:

Anyone heard anything about FF Crystal Chronicles (for the Gamecube) ? Just wondering if I should bother pre-ordering this one. If it makes any difference, both EB and Gamestop are giving free GBA/GC link cables to those who pre-order. What think? Anyone have any news, screeens, or opinions for this game? Thanks in advance! :)

Melissa