Fan Racer 3D Modelling

edson

Welcome Edson! I'd just make sure the fans rotate and maybe have removable booster covers. An opening canopy of course would be cool too. Just some ideas. - MT

Welcome on board Edson!

I just bought a 3D printer myself, and I'll just add my 2 cents' worth here.

One of the guys who delivered the printer said that clear plastic always comes out foggy/frosted when 3D printed. Honestly, I don't know how true this is, but that's what he said. At most, you can use clear filaments for tailights or landing-gear lights, which don't need to be clear and transparent.

Not sure if this also applies to Shapeways--since they seem to be able to print things in glass and silver, they might be able to print out clear canopies.

BTW, are you printing this at Shapeways or using your own printer?

Welcome on board Edson!

One of the guys who delivered the printer said that clear plastic always comes out foggy/frosted when 3D printed. Honestly, I don't know how true this is, but that's what he said. At most, you can use clear filaments for tailights or landing-gear lights, which don't need to be clear and transparent.

Not sure if this also applies to Shapeways--since they seem to be able to print things in glass and silver, they might be able to print out clear canopies.

gai gu - 11 what brand is your 3 d print? where did you buy it? and how much you paid for it :D

Edited by valid

gai gu - 11 what brand is your 3 d print? where did you buy it? and how much you paid for it :D

It's called the UP! Plus 2, otherwise known as the Alfinia or something in the US.

Where did I buy it? Well, I just found this website that promotes the printer, got hold of a local reseller (based in China, but has resellers internationally) and ordered one.

Retail price is about 1600 USD. +- But when you factor in the reseller's profits, I ended up paying over 2400 for it. On the bright side, everything was set up and installed for me, and tested to make sure it works fine, and all I have to do is text the guy for technical support in case I need help with something. There's also a 12-month warranty for it.

Consumer printers like the Up or Makerbot will definitely make it much more affordable to print. It'll take more work to smooth out the parts, but it'll definitely be worth it.

Clear filament will indeed be fine for the landing lights and such. But you're better off vacuum-forming the canopies. But you can 3D print vacuform 'molds' and get someone with a vacu-former to form the canopies for you

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Welcome on board Edson!

The only good clear printer I've seen is the Objet Veroclear Printed by the Objet Eden. Good stuff but super expensive. A new canopy for a 1/48 VF-1 is probably around $80 to $90 range. Shapeways has a material called Frosted Ultra Detail. I has a brown tint and isn't clear even if you polish it up. Also not a very strong material. It's one of their more expensive stuff too.

Objet does a great job with clear but nobody has one in their home. For the UP! you can print & sand the body and it'll turn out great, but the clear parts should be molded in clear resin. Use http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31581 to generate an easy to use mold (sand it smooth before casting) and you'll have great clear parts.

As has been said, the "clear" filament for home fdm printers isn't actually clear at all. You'll get decent light transmissivity for projects that need lights to shine through, but they're far from transparent.

EXO - have you ordered FUD from Shapeways lately? Is it transparent like their promo photos now at least? The only time I tried it was on the initial release and it was bright yellow and only slightly translucent at best.

Edited by bry