Music : electro house version of Watashi no Kare wa Pilot.

Gakken85

It's sounds like some early Justice and french stuff, though it isn't as harsh. You could call it disco I guess but it's a little too fresh for that.

Close enough. haha

It's sounds like some early Justice and french stuff, though it isn't as harsh. You could call it disco I guess but it's a little too fresh for that.

Close enough. haha

The thing that makes it "electro house" is the harshness, without it you've got either Soul House or possibly Nu Disco though I get the feeling this track was made before that genre was established.

Interesting to hear this remix.

FYI, this is not electro house.

It's not a remix either, it's a full-on self-cover, from this album: http://www.amazon.co.jp/MARI-IIJIMA-sings-LYNN-MINMAY/dp/B00006JOT3/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1369435698&sr=1-1&keywords=mari+iijima+sings+lynn+minmay

Very good album, by the way, if a little too short.

(EDIT: So yeah, this thread really doesn't belong in the "Fan Works" section.)

Edited by Gubaba

Damn it got ninja'ed by Gubaba!

Yeah, that album pretty much dictated, for better or for worse, what direction all live versions of Mari's Macross stuff would take from that point on as the remixes are geared to the more restricted vocal stylings of her more recent years (have heard that version of My Boyfriends a Pilot done live on multiple occasions).

But hey, the album is still available and quite affordable so if you like it, please support Macross and import it! :-)

Edited by Tochiro

Thanks. I'm really in love with this version. I can kinda imagine Minmay singing it this way later in her career or something! haha.

I guess I was thinking more like Teki Latex, some of Justices songs, and Daft Punk. It's hard to nail down electro subgenres though as they overlap so much.

There was so much electro in 08 with harsh sounds, and laid back sounds.

Anyway, great track.

Edited by Gakken85

• 3 weeks later...

Just sounds nice.

It suddenly occurs to me that all the "tribute" albums (i.e. Mari Iijima Sings Lynn Minmay, Fukuyama Fire!, and Gift 25) are WAY better than the originals. Given that, I can't wait until 2027 when we'll probably get May'n sings Sheryl Nome and Megumi Nakajima Out-Cutes Ranka Lee. Those'll probably be great albums, too.

Edited by Gubaba

It suddenly occurs to me that all the "tribute" albums (i.e. Mari Iijima Sings Lynn Minmay, Fukuyama Fire!, and Gift 25) are WAY better than the originals. Given that, I can't wait until 2027 when we'll probably get May'n sings Sheryl Nome and Megumi Nakajima Out-Cutes Ranka Lee. Those'll probably be great albums, too.

Good point! I still have a soft spot for the originals, though. The great thing about self-covers is that the original artists tend to keep the heart and soul of those songs intact in the newer versions, whereas that does not always happen in other cases.

I'm still trying to figure out why Gakken thinks "electro" is the term for all electronic music when it is in fact a subgenre that neither Teki Latex or Daft Punk have touched ever.

I think it's because you're a massive a-hole that will pretty much challenge anything I say, because you're butthurt about superman.

I usually just ignore you. Please do the same for me.

I think it's because you're a massive a-hole that will pretty much challenge anything I say, because you're butthurt about superman.

I usually just ignore you. Please do the same for me.

I think it's because you're supremely ignorant/arrogant and can't admit you might have got something you don't know a thing about wrong. It started as a friendly reminder because people in the know would be surprised, like I was, that this track wasn't at all electro house. You could have taken that information and absorbed it. Instead you started making further cases to justify your ignorance rather than actually paying attention or learning something. Bringing up your lack of ability to form a coherent sentence in the Superman thread doesn't help your case at all.

Good point! I still have a soft spot for the originals, though. The great thing about self-covers is that the original artists tend to keep the heart and soul of those songs intact in the newer versions, whereas that does not always happen in other cases.

This track is produced really well too. They borrow a lot of the 80's style/motif from it. With a few minor changes this would fit in well with the current nu disco trend.