Question about Bandai 1/72 Macross Frontier kits

Cameron1138

• 4 weeks later...

Action Base 1 in my opinion. If I remember right AB2's are more for smaller kits like 1/144's or smaller.

A problem I had with these super parts on the VF-25 kits were loose kibble on the outter thighs. The ball joint connects fine, but the plane bit will wiggle every which way and I don't even feel connects in fighter mode any better than the original part for the plane.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about picking up an Armored Ozma model. I have a first issue NMIB First Edition 1/60 toy and I'm not holding my breath for Bandai to re-release the Renewal versions any time soon. Just wanted to heard any thoughts on these kits. I am new to the Bandai modeling scene with just a RG Zeta Gundam on the way.

The 1/72 Armored Valks are really good. The armored pack units have locking systems like the toys that allows for tight fighter mode, and they come with a stand

However, still fragile as they are models.

If you buy any of the Bandai 1/72's, the Armored would be at the top of the list behind the VF-27.

Just avoid the Super packs like the plague.

What's wrong with the super packs?

Nothing if you have your valk in gerwalk or Battroid.

The fighter mode however is a total pain in the ass as there's no locking mechanism to set the legs and wings like in the Armored back and Tornado Pack releases.

Actually, it's so bad that a lot of people I know got the pose "just right" and then promptly glued their super pack valks into fighter mode to avoid the pain again O_O

It's true the vanilla fighters don't have locking mechanisms either, but the pieces go together so naturally on the fighter that it's a moot point.

So I would advise buying anything in the 1/72 line except for super packs lol

Edited by Duymon

• 2 weeks later...

I got Ozma's basic VF-25S for Christmas, and I started building it a couple days ago (it's maybe about 1/2 done now). It was going quite well until I decided to start applying stickers to the sections I had already finished. The stickers are utter crap! They've got to be the worst stickers I've ever encountered with anything like this. The black and red ones are okay, but the others, especially the yellow ones, are so transparent that you can barely even see the color when they're applied on darker parts. I tried applying the decals, but I kind of failed (I had never done it before). The only way I was able to salvage them was to scan the sheets and print the scans out on white sticker paper. Are all the stickers this bad, or did I just get unlucky?

Are all the stickers this bad, or did I just get unlucky?

All the stickers are that bad. Yet another reason why I really don't like Bandai's Frontier line. So glad Hasegawa is going to produce at least the 25F next year.

Are all the stickers this bad, or did I just get unlucky?

Yep, they're transparent, ugly, and worse yet, printed like magazines with colored dots all over. The decals aren't any better. Utterly inexcusable considering the decal experience Bandai has from all their gundam kits.

It's why I painted all my markings on from scratch. It was less frustrating. :p

Yeah... the decals are a pain to work with, especially the SMS markings on darker units like the 25-G. I had to paint a white background for those to look somewhat decent -_-. However, I gotta say that the 1/72 are still very nice and one of the only ways to get a really nice looking skull-squadron without breaking the bank. Despite Hasegawa making Frontier kits as well, I really like my transforming kits :0

This was my second Macross kit, my first being a reissue of the old 1/100 VF-19S, also by Bandai. While the engineering of this one far surpasses that one, the VF-19S had such great stickers. They looked good and were very sturdy. Would it have been that hard for Bandai to make stickers of that quality for the Frontier line?

Do you hate yourself? Do you love being a masochist with decals?

Then make sure to pick up the limited clear VF-25F and just try to build it.

The Valk is freaking clear, meaning the good ole primer + color + clearcoat ain't happening. It's just... clear coat.

Good luck getting a clear coat sticking to the freaking Clear smooth clear plastic. After a nice rinse in the sink even the tried and true future beaded and rolled off like nothing.

The regular decals have no problem with adhesion to the pvc parts, but the metal decals? OMFG... it's like I hate myself and I don't even know why.

Anywho, the holiday week was so easy-going that I built this. (no network outages = sit back and good off).

Unfortunately, by building this kit I think I got more stressed out than I do just working.

post-25-0-91272200-1357425629_thumb.jpg