The Official MW Anime Awards

areaseven

As the 2003 calendar year comes to an end, let's look back at the anime titles released in the U.S. and Japan during this year.

Here are the categories:

Anime Theatrical Release of the Year (U.S.):

Anime Theatrical Release of the Year (Japan):

Anime OAV of the Year (U.S.):

Anime OAV of the Year (Japan):

Anime TV Series of the Year (U.S.):

Anime TV Series of the Year (Japan):

Best Anime Theatrical Director (U.S.):

Best Anime Theatrical Director (Japan):

Best Anime OAV Director (U.S.):

Best Anime OAV Director (Japan):

Best Anime TV Director (U.S.):

Best Anime TV Director (Japan):

Anime Studio of the Year (U.S.):

Anime Studio of the Year (Japan):

Best Anime Distributor (U.S.):

Best Anime Distributor (Japan):

Anime Magazine of the Year (U.S.):

Anime Magazine of the Year (Japan):

Best Anime Lead Male Character (U.S.):

Best Anime Lead Male Character (Japan):

Best Anime Lead Female Character (U.S.):

Best Anime Lead Female Character (Japan):

Best Anime Supporting Male Character (U.S.):

Best Anime Supporting Male Character (Japan):

Best Anime Supporting Female Character (U.S.):

Best Anime Supporting Female Character (Japan):

Best Villain (U.S.):

Best Villain (Japan):

Best English Dub:

Best Male Seiyuu (U.S.):

Best Male Seiyuu (Japan):

Best Voice Actor in an English Dub:

Best Female Seiyuu (U.S.):

Best Female Seiyuu (Japan):

Best Voice Actress in an English Dub:

Best Theatrical Soundtrack (U.S.):

Best Theatrical Soundtrack (Japan):

Best OAV Soundtrack (U.S.):

Best OAV Soundtrack (Japan):

Best TV Soundtrack (U.S.):

Best TV Soundtrack (Japan):

Theme Song of the Year (U.S.):

Theme Song of the Year (Japan):

Manga of the Year (U.S.):

Manga of the Year (Japan):

Best Manga Artist (U.S.):

Best Manga Artist (Japan):

Feel free to add your own categories.

(EDIT: Entires deleted from categories. I officially waive my right to cast my votes on this thread.)

Edited by areaseven

WTF? You chose what you liked, without any other input. That's lame, dude.

Sooooo... he basically did what the Oscar Academy does every year and chose a bunch of winners that in no way reflect most of what popular choice was? :p

Then again all awards are heavily swayed by the people judging unless it is a popular vote sort of thing... which most awards are not.

Let's get the the real awards A7.

Best female pron star (U.S.)

Best female pron star (Japan)

:p

All jokes aside, it would be better if we had three or more choices per category. :(

Sooooo... he basically did what the Oscar Academy does every year and chose a bunch of winners that in no way reflect most of what popular choice was? :p

Then again all awards are heavily swayed by the people judging unless it is a popular vote sort of thing... which most awards are not.

No, he didn't basically do what the Academy does. The Oscar's are voted on my thousands of industry people, his awards are based on only one vote, his. Your analogy is just plain silly.

The "popular vote" doesn't lead to the best result. Pure democracy doesn't work, it only leads to mob rule. I'm sure everybody here would vote for free 1/48 Valkyries if given the choice, but that doesn't exactly make sense, now does it?

If the "popular vote" were used to vote for the Academy Awards, stupid movies like American Pie would be winning Best Picture.

Who cares... most of us haven't heard of or seen most of the animes released anyway. A7 provides us with a guide to which anime we should or shouldn't waste time on. And based on that, this list shows which we should put on the top of OUR list.

The fact is no one else would take time to make something like this, and a if a vote was taken it would take for ever to set up the polls or count the votes in a thread.

As A7 has taken it upon himself to become MW's official anime reviewer, let's just leave it to him to pick out the most notable.

And if you guys have any disagreements... well that's what the rest of the thread is for...

Here be my choices. Japan only.

--------------

Anime Theatrical Release of the Year (Japan): Rahxephon: tagenhensoukyoku (runner up: I dunno)

Anime OAV of the Year (Japan): Macross Zero (runner up: Hunter x Hunter Greed Island)

Anime TV Series of the Year (Japan): Scrapped Princess

Anime Studio of the Year (Japan): Bones

Best Anime Distributor (Japan): Bandai Visual

Best Anime Lead Male Character (Japan): Shannon Cassul (Scrapped Princess)

Best Anime Lead Female Character (Japan): Miina Miyafuji (Onegai Twins)

Best Anime Supporting Male Character (Japan): None

Best Anime Supporting Female Character (Japan): Kaori Sakiyama (Air Master)

Best Villain (Japan): Julietta Sakamoto (Air Master)

Best Male Seiyuu (Japan): Miki Shinichiro (Shannon Cassul-Scrapped Princess, Lin Ho Lee-ROD TV)

Best Female Seiyuu (Japan): Satsuki Yukino (Ai Tanabe-Planetes, Nenene Sumiregawa-ROD TV) and Fumiko Orikasa (Pacifica Cassul-Scrapped Princess)

Best Theatrical Soundtrack (Japan): Ichiko Hashimoto (RahXephon Tagen Hensoukyoku)

Best OAV Soundtrack (Japan): Hunter x Hunter Greed Island

Best TV Soundtrack (Japan): ROD TV (Iwasaki Taku)

Theme Song of the Year (Japan): Dive in the Sky (Mikio Sakai; Planetes)

The "popular vote" doesn't lead to the best result. Pure democracy doesn't work, it only leads to mob rule. I'm sure everybody here would vote for free 1/48 Valkyries if given the choice, but that doesn't exactly make sense, now does it?

Yes it does! :lol:

how is ADV the best US distributer? i stopped buying most of their dvds cuz they enjoy ripping ppl off with 3 episodes on a $30 dvd which is just uncalled for, i tihnk a dvd shud have 5 or 6 episodes, 4 being absolute minimum, unless its a short OVA

No, he didn't basically do what the Academy does. The Oscar's are voted on my thousands of industry people, his awards are based on only one vote, his. Your analogy is just plain silly.

Of course it's silly, that's why he used this to end his statement-----> :p
Free toys don't make sense? :blink: ? I must be in hell. :lol:
If the "popular vote" were used to vote for the Academy Awards, stupid movies like American Pie would be winning Best Picture.
Nah, more likely a terriblely overrated waste of time and space like Titanic would end up winning a bunch of Oscars.

Oops, bad example....... :D

how is ADV the best US distributer? i stopped buying most of their dvds cuz they enjoy ripping ppl off with 3 episodes on a $30 dvd which is just uncalled for, i tihnk a dvd shud have 5 or 6 episodes, 4 being absolute minimum, unless its a short OVA

I like ADV now too. They defenitely have the best DVDs. Plus, they're 19.95 anywhere I go, (Fry's, Best Buy) except Suncoast. And, yes, they occasionally have a 3 episode DVD, but that's offset by the occasional 5 episode DVD. Plus, they have the best titles (RahXephon, Full Metal Panic, and so on) of the year, the best packaging design, and impeccable work on the subs. Also, they have great video quality (admittedly, as far as I can tell, I don't have an HDTV), something that would decrease with more episodes on a single DVD.

I like ADV now too. They defenitely have the best DVDs. Plus, they're 19.95 anywhere I go, (Fry's, Best Buy) except Suncoast. And, yes, they occasionally have a 3 episode DVD, but that's offset by the occasional 5 episode DVD. Plus, they have the best titles (RahXephon, Full Metal Panic, and so on) of the year, the best packaging design, and impeccable work on the subs. Also, they have great video quality (admittedly, as far as I can tell, I don't have an HDTV), something that would decrease with more episodes on a single DVD.

yea they are $20 at the best buy near me i said $30 because thats the suggested retail, i would perfer all 4 episodes discs instead of a random combo of 3's and 5's. personally i like mediablasters, their dubs suck but they give you entire series in 4 disc sets

This'll take a while for me to gather. Maybe after class tonight.