Friendly warning, to members with membership at the RPF - Site Hack

Ghadrack

I know there are several members who are part of this site and the Replica Prop Forum, in case you haven't been over there last week their site was hacked and stolen, their Domain was stolen and transferred to another owner and a spoof site has been set up, presumably to harvest people's information (why else would you do that?)

I haven't seen any warnings about virus or information theft, but they have apparently hacked admin access on the new replacement site as well.

I don't have any advice to offer other than be careful with logging on to those sites. I'm not completely internet illiterate, but I also don't overestimate my knowledge when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks for the info, I got an email from them the other day saying they were using a temporary site address, but I didn't go there, as I was busy and even a quick visit usually takers hours :). Today though I got an automated email telling me that a thread I participated in had a reply, but due to time I still didn't go there, kinda glad I didn't as I'm not sure which is real and which is not, so I guess like others I'll sit this out till the storm has passed.

weird because I got that email and then someone mentioned it to me. Then I had a dream this site got hacked because of my profile over there... Woke up and changed passwords on everything. That's really crappy crap to happen to a good site like that.

I went and checked this morning.

It looks like therpf domain is still in the hands of the hackers. there has been a lot of activity the thwart the spoof site and to get it back but it seems like that will be a beurocratic wiating game. thereplicapropforum site seems to have been secured, but I don't know if the hacker can still get in and screw around on the new board, from what I've read they seem to feel pretty confident that the new board is safe for the time being.

The whole thing is really very rediculous. I'd advise still staying away from therpf.com site.

• 5 weeks later...

The true RPF currently resides at www.thereplicapropform.com and it is perfectly safe there now. The hackers did have access at one point before the security breach was understood, but that has been taken care of.

Prior to that, they did get the complete database up until late December 2011. Anybody who is a member there might want to review and change their passwords, if they happened to use the same password in multiple places.

The hackers have up spoof sites at www.therpf.com and also www.the-rpf.com . They are running a campaign to fool members into staying at their domain to keep traffic up to get the ad revenue, and probably to ransom the domain back to the proper owner.

The Facebook page, and Art Andrews (the owner) are good places to get updates and confirmations. The page is here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/therpf

However, the hackers have spoofed the Facebook page as well: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Replica-Prop-Forum/321458777885579 . Members have been trying to report this page, and warn people away from it.

A number of RPF members have been mounting a campaign on the spoofed domain to warn members and direct them to the right place. There has also been a lot of warning threads and general trolling of the spoofed site, to try to make it obvious that something is wrong. Most of it gets cleaned up and covered up, but we have reclaimed a good number of the members who missed all the news. Wolverines!!

Traffic at the spoofed site is getting very low at this point, and I would recommend steering clear of their until it dies, the hacker gives up, and we will hopefully get the domain back.

So, please carry on at www.thereplicapropforum.com as usual. Review and change passwords as needed, and review the email address attached to your account as well (many people did not get the official emails explaining the issues because of this).