Best of 2011 Thread

Ghost Train

It's that time again!!!11!!!1!!!

Not bothering with categories. Just discuss what you think were the highlights (both best and worst!) of 2011 happenings, whether it be toys, models, anime, cars, movies, etc (within reason).

So here are just some of my thoughts:

- I really can't think of a best or worst movie. I really enjoyed Macross F: Sayonara No Tsubasa, though I get this vibe we're not going to see any new Macross for a while.

- On a related front, the two anime I enjoyed the most were Fate Zero (ongoing) and Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?

- For toys - I was absolutely thrilled to finally get some sort of representation for the GM Sniper II in either original flavor or White Dingo colors.

So let's see... wishes for 2012: Yammie VF-4 (after they get Macross 7 out of their system) :p ? Also simply can't wait for Evangelion 3.0.

Best Album: Patrick Stump's Soul Punk. I'd have never guessed that the lead singer from Fall Out Boy would release a solo album of material that is so different from FOB, and so good.

Best Game: I was thinking Deus Ex, but them I played Arkham City. Which, in turn, is supplanted by Skyrim, which I'm still playing. But despite the hours I spent on those three games, the most fun I had playing a game all year, and indeed in a long time, was Super Mario 3D Land, so I'm going to have to go with that.

Best Anime: Gundam Unicorn. The gorgeous UC mecha really make up for the fact that I don't think I understand the plot.

Best Movie: Nothing stood out as being out and out amazing, but there were a couple of movies I enjoyed. I'd probably say Thor.

Toy: MP Hot Rod. It's either him, or one of the Generations deluxes that came out this year.

Best shows on TV, I'm saying a three-way tie: How I Met Your Mother, Community, and The Big Bang Theory. The latter, I'd actually put off watching for awhile, because I thought it was something regular people watched to laugh at us nerds. I was missing out for far too long.

More than stuff, though, I think 2011 is really memorable for all the life-changing stuff that went on. Wife started a new job. Then a friend of mine got married. Then I got a promotion. Then close friend of mine (who is conveniently married to another close friend) bought their first house and had their first baby. Then I bought my first house. Followed by a third friend buying his first house. It'd have really been great if I could find a new job too, but hey, gotta save something for 2012, right?

Best Train Wreck on TV: Gold Rush Alaska, a group of down on their luck amateurs invest over $250,000 and their livelihoods to try to find gold in Alaska. Unfortunately, the show boils down to these guys screwing up almost every week with very little gold actually being found to cover their expenses. It also uses the most unfortunate industry terminology ever.

Movie - Yamato came out on DVD, so I count it as last year for me.

TV - Boardwalk Empire. Have not seen GoT yet, might be better.

Computer Game - I don't buy them till they are 2+ years old, Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter is my current game, been playing it for months so it wins.

WOT is runner up.

Boardgame/miniatures games - IABSM3, miniatures rules about WWII.

Worst movie, so many contenders. But the winner is the Latest Pirates movie, it was dreadful.

Thor - not quite as dreadful.

Conan - Better then I expected, still not good. (I was not expecting much...)

I still have yet to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie, last one was rubbish, this one might be better.