SaiKano (She, The Ultimate Weapon)

areaseven

saikano01.jpgviz-t.gif

Saishuu Heiki Kanojo ( 最終兵器彼女 )

"The Last Love Song on This Little Planet"

GONZO Digimation/Family Gekijou/Toshiba EMI, 2002

Viz Video, 2004

Directed by Atsuko Kase (Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team: Miller's Report).

Rated T+ for graphic violence, slight nudity, sexual situations and strong language.

Based on the manga by Shin Takahashi (published in the U.S. by Viz Comics). Shuji and Chise are two Hokkaido high school students barely starting a relationship with each other. Then, with no warning, an squadron of bombers from an unknown country destroy the city of Sapporo. All hope is lost when suddenly, the bombers are destroyed by a small red light floating across the sky. At this point, Shuji finds out that the one responsible for eliminating the enemy forces is Chise, who reveals herself as a cyborg engineered for mass-destruction.

"Gomen nasai, Shuu-chan." - Chise

Story: A

When I viewed the first three episodes, I didn't know what to expect. By looking at the cover art, you'd first assume that SaiKano is an action title. Actually, it isn't. The plot of SaiKano primarily revolves on Shuji's relationship with Chise and how this love affair endures in times of war, especially with Chise being Japan's last line of defense.

The anime is also very faithful to the manga, except that one minor character named Akemi is given a more prominent role. From beginning to end, you'll be attached to SaiKano's down-to-earth storytelling and remarkable character flow.

Animation: A+

When you give an anime project to GONZO Digimation (Full Metal Panic!, Vandread), expect a lot of digital 2D and 3D special effects and breathtaking artwork. And for SaiKano, GONZO delivers big-time. The character designs are dead-on with the manga art and the overall animation quality is excellent, especially for a title that doesn't have much action.

Soundtrack: A

Aside from the excellent musical score, I really like the opening theme "Koisuru Kimochi" and the ending theme "Sayonara", both composed and performed by Yuria Yato.

Cast

SaiKano features Shiro Ishimoda in his debut role as Shuuji, Fumiko Orikasa (Pacifica in Scrapped Princess, Seras in Hellsing) as Chise, Yuu Sugimoto (Elvy in RahXephon) as Akemi, Miki Ito (Project A-Ko, Gally in Battle Angel) as Fuyumi, Shinichiro Miki (Takumi in Initial D, Allen in Escaflowne) as Tetsu, and Tetsu Shiratori (Yuu in Brain Powered) as Atsushi.

The Bottom Line

Despite being only 13 episodes long, Saishuu Heiki Kanojo is, undoubtedly, one of GONZO's best animated works ever made.

Links

Official Saishuu Heiki Kanojo Homepage (Japanese)

SAIKANO-USA.com

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

This sounds pretty cool, where can I get a copy? Is it licensed yet?

Surprisingly enough, neither the anime nor the manga have been licensed yet. I can imagine either ADV or FUNimation picking up SaiKano for domestic release. The manga was originally published by Shogakukan, so it's pretty much given that Viz will release it in the near future.

As a matter of fact, at AX2003, I asked Viz exec Toshifumi Yoshida if there are chances of bringing SaiKano into the U.S. He wasn't too familiar with the title.

As for fansubs, you can download all 13 episodes from AnimeSuki. Take note that the Region 2 DVD also has English subtitles.

Edited by areaseven

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a copy here in China, guess is the same you can get in Hong Kong.

The Subs are pretty decent and the quality is very good. It may be a bootleg, but a damn nice one.

I totally LOVED the animation.

The name of the DVD set Is not "The Last Love Song in This Planet" But "She the Ultimate Weapon".

If you guys can get this animation... GET IT.

Sad indeed, but a must.

Wow! how did I miss this? anyways this show is truly great especially the ending but it left me with some questions like

*Spoilers involved*

1) What happened to Shuu's friend who joined the military I assume he died but you never know you just saw him and some other dudes run away.

2) Who where the people attacking them? I know it wasn't really important but i was just wondering.

MASS SPOILERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3) Was Shuu the only surviver in the world?

Wow! how did I miss this? anyways this show is truly great especially the ending but it left me with some questions like

*Spoilers involved*

1) What happened to Shuu's friend who joined the military I assume he died but you never know you just saw him and some other dudes run away.

2) Who where the people attacking them? I know it wasn't really important but i was just wondering.

MASS SPOILERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3) Was Shuu the only surviver in the world?

MASS SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Shu´s friend died whe Chise destroyed the enemy, the city, their own forces and everything arroung the area. When chise get activated she wasnt able to select the target, she just hit everything.

The enemy was US! the WESTERN BOYS!!! Dont you remember the enemy pilot hidding in the hills (the one who kills ANOTHER of Shu´s friends)? He was speacking in English... sorry he was speaking Americano. And the uniform...

Yup. Shu is the ONLY surviver in the world. Chise went to live inside him since she used all her energi in the last combat... and I guess he later died of thirth and hunger... there was nothing left of the world but dust.

For more explanation you can see the special features in the end of the DVD. The interview with the director and other guys explains a lot.

Shu´s friend died whe Chise destroyed the enemy, the city, their own forces and everything arroung the area. When chise get activated she wasnt able to select the target, she just hit everything.

The enemy was US! the WESTERN BOYS!!! Dont you remember the enemy pilot hidding in the hills (the one who kills ANOTHER of Shu´s friends)? He was speacking in English... sorry he was speaking Americano. And the uniform...

Yup. Shu is the ONLY surviver in the world. Chise went to live inside him since she used all her energi in the last combat... and I guess he later died of thirth and hunger... there was nothing left of the world but dust.

For more explanation you can see the special features in the end of the DVD. The interview with the director and other guys explains a lot.

Ohhh how could I forget that part with the soldier I mean he even spoke in english (something like Please dont)

Thanks for clearly this up.

Currently watching this series so I skipped the spolier alerts! Thanks for the warnings!

I'm up to ep 4 and so far kinda of bored with it. I will watch it all the way through if I was able to make it through KOKORO LIBRARY! :lol:

One thing that annoys me though is why all the red slashes on the cheeks..... I thought it was just because it was cold but even in their homes they have those red slashes. Took me a while to stop staring at their cheeks so much.

Well I just finished it. God what a heart wrenching story. You know I watched Grave of the Fireflies and my heart barely skipped a beat but this story just rips it out!

Yup, just like ther Americans to be the bad guys

Well it may have been english speakers on the other side but that doesn't mean they started it. Remember Pearl Harbor. We have to remember this anime was made for the Japanese audience so naturally they won't fight themselves and since english is japans second language it easier to use english than say spanish to show they're foriegners.

What I did like about the story is that it didn't cast balme who started it but showed how once it started no one could stop it.

Spoiler

Getting back to Take's girlfriend and the downed pilot.... he didn't draw first. He had his hands up but her pain said kill and in the end it killed them both. I believe this is the cycle that the anime was trying to bring attention to.

Edited by Backstabber

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This just in from the Anime News Network:

Viz announces SaiKano anime, manga (2003-10-30 11:47:42)

Viz announced it has acquired the anime and manga rights for Saishuu Heiki Kanojo (SaiKano). The first DVD of the thirteen-episode series has been scheduled for an April 2004 release, and the first manga volume is set for June 2004.

i'm probably going to be the lone dissenter but i thought it was ok..above average even but certaintly not as mindblowing as i was led to believe. Even the end wasn't that depressing..it just didn't give me that emotional knockout. I found a scene midway through the show that gave me more of an emotional hit then the end. As cool as some of the promo shots look this is not a mecha show, or about cool fight scenes. As such there are a lot of events that you simply have to accept at face value. Don't look for explanations about why or how come this happens because there are no answers. Speaking about the end if you're not a fan of Giant Rei Heads then be warned that this show is just as weird.

Here's my take on the plot and dialog (Chise being the girl - the ulimate weapon, and Shuiji is her b/f).

Chise: I'm sorry Shuiji

Shuiji: Idiot

Chise:

Shuiji: I'm sorry Chise

Chise:

...insert scenes of devestation...

Chise: I'm sorry Shuiji

Shuiji: Idiot

Chise:

(repeat)

Having said that I'll still be suckered into buying this series as there were some scenes that were quite well done.

I saw this show awhile back and I just want to clarify something. It's not Japan Vs. America as far as I know. The guy speaking english was just to point out that he was forign but not concretely american. As far as I have heard it is Everyone Vs. Everyone. This is why the world was ending Everybody was fighting eachother. However it never is really presented who is involved, I don't think we ever see any flags. However from what others have told me and based on the amount of destruction, it is everyone fighting everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I bought a copy here in China, guess is the same you can get in Hong Kong.

The Subs are pretty decent and the quality is very good. It may be a bootleg, but a damn nice one.

I totally LOVED the animation.

The name of the DVD set Is not "The Last Love Song in This Planet" But "She the Ultimate Weapon".

If you guys can get this animation... GET IT.

Sad indeed, but a must.

haha sebas, my sister saw it and said it sucked! but then again, she doesn't like a lot of things. but I know she likes CB!! sorta. :D

haven't seen it myself yet. working on Last Exile right now.

I really like this series, one of my favorites.

Its story may not have a whole lot of plot twists and surprises, but it really depicts the characters' emotions in minute details, especially when facing tragic events one after another. It also portrays the imperfections in pretty much all characters. Showing them making wrong choices, doing wrong things for the wrong reasons, or just chickened out when they were supposed to be brave. Makes them very believable. And yes, the ending wasn't as depressing. Rather, all the events in between.

Unlike some of you that find the earlier episodes boring, I think the storytelling is genius. Just the very first episode has tell us A LOT about both Chise & Shuji. And none of the following events later on were unnecessary. They only deepens our knowledge on the main characters, and the people around them. Even though some of their friends & classmates plays a smaller role with very few dialogues, you can totally feel what they were going through. Down to the very character that you barely know his/her name. If this is not great storytelling, I don't know what else. The pacing is slow, but very appropriate. Definitely not boring for me. Heck, I was so glued to the series that I have to finish the whole thing in one seating until 3 or 4am in the morning. :p

oh yea, what episode had the pilot that spoke english? i just watched the whole series and i dont rmeber that, unless i skipped an episode by accident

How was the dubbing and it's story plot?

• 6 months later...

You're not gonna believe this:

New Saikano Projects in Japan (2004-10-10 13:53:12)

According to Shin Takahashi's website, a new live-action production of Saishuu Heiki Kanojo (She, the Ultimate Weapon) is in the works. Tentatively scheduled for 2005, Aki Maeda is cast as the protagonist. In other news, Shin Takahashi also announced that two volumes of a new Saikano OVA are scheduled for a Spring 2005 release.

Source: Anime on DVD