Is it safe to import stuff from Japan?

Midi_Amp

Hi guys, I know some of you are expert in this kind of stuff and really need some input.

For all the HLJ Yamato discounts I still chose to buy VF-Hi Metal VF19kai for some odd reason (mainly being Yamato's kai will kill my wallet). I'm ready to order via Amiami however, with all the news about radiation leakage, is it safe to order items from Japan right now? I know next to nothing about radiation, but I certainly don't want this hobby of mine to spread radiation to my newborn.

What are the necessary precaution I should take for ordering items from Japan? I read at CNN that a soap + water wash easily removes low level radioactivity.

Sorry if this is such a stupid question, but I better be safe than sorry.

You have nothing to fear about. Both Amiami and HLJ are located far away from the Fukushima nuclear plant. The radiation levels are currently only a concern at the immediate vicinity of the Fukushima plant.

Stop listening to those fear-mongering idiots on TV and radio.

I'll be much more concerned about delivery delay than radiation...

Just think about destroyed roads and highways, and also about the crowded air traffic in the few operational airports !!

Priority has to be on survival goods much more than on transporting toys... (nonetheless, they are toys :( )

Edited by falcon14141

I'll be much more concerned about delivery delay than radiation...

Just think about destroyed roads and highways, and also about the crowded air traffic in the few operational airports !!

Priority has to be on survival goods much more than on transporting toys... (nonetheless, they are toys :( )

It's mostly the airports in the Tohoku region. Sendai, Sado, Iwate-Hanamaki, and Misawa Airports are closed. All other airports are open.

You have nothing to fear about. Both Amiami and HLJ are located far away from the Fukushima nuclear plant. The radiation levels are currently only a concern at the immediate vicinity of the Fukushima plant.

Stop listening to those fear-mongering idiots on TV and radio.

What Vifam7 said!

Unlike Chernobyl, there has been no leakage of Cesium or Uranium, or other heavy isotopes (these have an incredibly long half life with as little as 30 years and as much as in the millions of years), at least not yet, into the atmosphere at Fukushima. The radiation released at the afflicted plants is due to neutron contamination of the sea water being used to cool the reactors (these are no longer running... they shut off automatically when the Earthquake hit; what the nuclear engineers are dealing with is the residual heat from the nuclear rods that were deprived of cooling purified water). The impure sea water is irradiated with free neutrons from the reactor, thus becoming radioactive, but the half life of this radiation decays in as little as a few seconds to a few minutes or maybe up to a few days, so that when the plants vent, or blow up, the contaminated steam has an effect only in the immediate area or up to a few Km from the source, and only temporarily.

Don't let the know-nothing meat puppets giving you the "News" scare you off from making a purchase... Japan can use all the economic activity they can get at this time of need. Your chances of getting a "glow-in-the-dark" toy from Japan are nil.